Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

When did AB Klein take over from Oldam in 1966?
Posted by: carlosrr ()
Date: April 23, 2015 21:45

Hello follks

Does anyone know what the month in 1966 he bought Oldham's shares in the RS?

Cheers and thanks

Carlos

"Support International Tourism,
Visit Matamoros, Mexico"

Re: When did AB Klein take over from Oldam in 1966?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 23, 2015 21:53

I think in DECEMBER

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 23, 2015 21:59

Not sure but I think Klein's involvement was pretty strong in early 1966, when he actually bought out ALO might be referenced in Bill's Stone Alone book. He seemed to be pretty detailed about the dates of various business affairs.

peace

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 23, 2015 22:11

and just as un-detailed about various non-business affairs..

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 24, 2015 15:12

My understanding is that Klein's 'ownership' of RS recording masters and songwriting copyrights was done over a period of time.
Timeline
1965 August. Klein negotiates a new 5 year contract with Decca/London and at the same time secures a 5 year Management contract.
1967 Autumn. ALO bows out. Klein in Mick's view is just 'business' ; i.e the Stones manage themselves, artistically and career wise.
1968/69 ALO is being stung on a number of fronts: Collapse of Immediate Records; Tax demands, corporate and personal; being sued by former business manager and Stones Manager, Eric Easton. The latter is eventually paid off by Klein.
Consequently ALO sells his stake in RS Ltd to Klein for one million pounds. I understand that ALO continues (to this day) to receive some publishing income from ABKCO however.

So the ownership of the masters from Oldham/Decca is secured over a period of time, likewise the publishing (Oldham/ Essex).
In my opinion it is ALO who emerges as a bigger villan in this episide than Klein who was always 1. Himself 2. Client. ALO on the other hand had always said he was of the new breed of Manager ie 1. Artist 2. Record company.
The whole business is reminiscent of the way in which the Beatles songwriting copyrights were sold by their first music publisher.
At least they were given a chance, in 1969, to get them back. Klein of course failed his clients in respect of this.

I don't think Mick will ever forgive Oldham.
I have read all ALO's memoirs, they are an excellent read and amongst the very best in Stoneland literature.
However, he says very little about any of the above.
Scientology and a long period of drug use has perhaps blurred his inner conscience.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1139
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home