Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Happy Saint George's Day
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 23, 2015 18:07

in a way, it's somewhat forgotten - or ignored - but anyway, Happy Saint George's Day to all the English folk thorougout the U.K., Europe and elsewhere.

Re: OT: Happy Saint George's Day
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 23, 2015 20:05

And a happy St George's Day from London to you too, Big Al and everyone out there!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 23, 2015 20:18

Date: April 23, 2015 20:37

I must confess, the date did slip my mind at first!

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 23, 2015 21:19

Once dined at a restaurant in Naples , Florida by the name Saint George and the Dragon

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-23 21:19 by boston2006.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 23, 2015 21:36

Is this the day that St. George, Utah was established????confused smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 23, 2015 22:21

A very Happy St George's Day to all the English lads and lasses throughout the world, from another one in Spain. smileys with beer

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 23, 2015 22:23

Is that anything to do with St. Georges chapel attached to Windsor Castle?

In America they have St. Patrick's day and St. Joseph's day, etc...any special traditional food eaten to celebrate?

Date: April 23, 2015 22:23

BluzDude

Oh, you teaser! St George's Day is celebrated by all the nations to whom Saint George is the patron saint. It's the national day of England and several other 'Christian' nations. To some in England, the day is one of national pride. It seemingly need not matter that the dragon-slaying hero was probably Palestinian.

Date: April 23, 2015 22:29

nightskyman

In America they have St. Patrick's day and St. Joseph's day, etc...any special traditional food eaten to celebrate?

well, Saint Patricks Day is for the Irish and recognised by most western nations, would imagine. Drink Guinness, wear a daft had and pretend to be a paddy for the day, basically. It's surely one of the more lucrative days for many a struggling publican!

In regards to your point referencing 'special food', I'm not sure. a cellar-cool pint of English biter, perhaps?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 23, 2015 22:29

Big Al
BluzDude

Oh, you teaser! St George's Day is celebrated by all the nations to whom Saint George is the patron saint. It's the national day of England and several other 'Christian' nations. To some in England, the day is one of national pride. It seemingly need not matter that the dragon-slaying hero was probably Palestinian.

...sorry, couldn't help it grinning smiley...but I am looking forward to my UK trip this June.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 23, 2015 22:49

And a very happy St George's Day from me, a Scotsman living in your country. Why are you guys in the main, so reticent about celebrating it ? You shouldn't be!! YOUR country, YOUR national day. You should celebrate it properly winking smiley

William Shakespeare
Isaac Newton
Stephen Hawking
The Beatles

Oh, and THE ROLLING STONES

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 23, 2015 23:06

Big Al
nightskyman

well, Saint Patricks Day is for the Irish and recognised by most western nations, would imagine. Drink Guinness, wear a daft had and pretend to be a paddy for the day, basically. It's surely one of the more lucrative days for many a struggling publican!

In regards to your point referencing 'special food', I'm not sure. a cellar-cool pint of English biter, perhaps?

I'll take the pint! thumbs up

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: April 23, 2015 23:34

Slay a dragon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-23 23:34 by Woz.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 24, 2015 05:26

In honor of St. George's Day which should probably be a paid holiday where I now live....

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home