Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
We made someone listen to Sticky Fingers for the FIRST TIME!
Posted by: RamAlbumClub ()
Date: April 18, 2015 14:26

Hi,

I'm Martin from Ruth and Martin's Album Club.

Each week we make a guest listen to a great album for the first time.

This week was Sticky Fingers.

You can find out what happened right here - [ramalbumclub.com]

Thanks

Martin

Re: We made someone listen to Sticky Fingers for the FIRST TIME!
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: April 18, 2015 14:58

Too bad you played it for a blithering idiot.

Date: April 18, 2015 15:06

LOL! A nice read grinning smiley

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 18, 2015 16:41

Don't agree with her at all, but I guess you could make the suggestion that it's entirely subjective... Maybe.

What isn't subjective however, is thinking Fight Club is about fighting, so she's 100% wrong on that one.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2015 16:50

yes, that was entertaining

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 18, 2015 16:59

Well I guess it's a good thing she listened but I think her prejudices got the better of her... hard to see how someone can listen 5 times and still not get it

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2015 17:09

exhpart
Well I guess it's a good thing she listened but I think her prejudices got the better of her... hard to see how someone can listen 5 times and still not get it

maybe she REALLY old?

or REALLY young?

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 18, 2015 17:11

If she is offended by the "young girl" line she should read the novel 'I Spit on your Graves', listen to the GG Allin's song 'Ten Year Old F-uck" and THEN relisten to Sticky Fingers and realise that it wasn't that offensive.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 18, 2015 17:25

At least she was spot on about Sway.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 18, 2015 17:30

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: April 18, 2015 18:32

A "journalist" slagging off someones art in a desperate attempt to seem clever and interesting. Shocker! eye rolling smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 18, 2015 18:55

that was a funny read. The intro to the Stones/Sticky Fs was very well written, and a nice (very) brief resume of their history.

The listener was boring though. Sad to have so much anger that you can't be moved (or even enjoy) some of SF.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 18, 2015 18:59

"In any case, if you made an album in the early or mid-70’s I’m almost certainly not interested."

Well OK, but certainly no less interested than I am about your opinion of Sticky Fingers.

It's pretty obvious this woman's attempt to sound clever, smart and funny is the important thing for her. Makes me want to strap her to a chair with eye open clamps like in A Clockwork Orange" and make her watch the 1971 Marquee show for month or two. winking smiley

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-18 22:43 by Naturalust.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 18, 2015 19:00

If someone would force me to listen to opera, I would react the same, even when it's the best opera in the world. So I am deducing that this girl simple doesn't like rock music. But then what's the point in interviewing her in the first place?

Or maybe it's french humour, a concept I never understood.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 18, 2015 19:09

vudicus
A "journalist" slagging off someones art in a desperate attempt to seem clever and interesting. Shocker! eye rolling smiley

She doesn't like SF..What is the big deal. I often see music lovers or Stones lovers in this case who just can't accept that other people don't like the same music that they like. I always find that strange. Do you like all music you hear?

I probably hate at least 80 % of music I have ever heard, so not surprised others don't like what I like.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-18 19:11 by stanlove.

Date: April 18, 2015 19:20

matxil
If someone would force me to listen to opera, I would react the same, even when it's the best opera in the world..

Even if you hate opera I am sure you could love Tannhäuser or Tristan und Isolde by Wagner. Especially the prelude of Tristan. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: April 18, 2015 19:29

stanlove
vudicus

She doesn't like SF..What is the big deal. I often see music lovers or Stones lovers in this case who just can't accept that other people don't like the same music that they like. I always find that strange. Do you like all music you hear?

I probably hate at least 80 % of music I have ever heard, so not surprised others don't like what I like.

Her not liking Sticky Fingers doesn't bother me one bit.
Everyone is free to like and dislike whatever they want.
I dislike "Journalists" like this one and I am entitled to my opinion on their work too.

To me it's another example of talking loud and saying nothing.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 18, 2015 19:57

I guess that's the difference between a music fan and a fan of a specific band. Nothing wrong with that. Closing yourself off though to all music from 70-75 seems silly and not well thought out. She should explore that more.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 18, 2015 20:26

It would have been interesting to hear which music (and era of music) she does like and compare that with the music
she obviously doesn't like - The Rolling Stones and popular music between 1970 and 1975.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: April 18, 2015 20:52

Thanks for this. I laughed. Agreed with most of what she said too. I can't listen to it either.

Date: April 18, 2015 22:21

stanlove
vudicus

Did you actually read it? Clearly this woman had her mind set going in she wasn't going to like it, and based on the dumbest reasons ever. Before listening to it she declared that no band has ever made a good album past their 7th (in this case Beggar's Banquet) and that pretty much no good music was made between '70 and '75. And it's not like she completely hates rock music and The Stones, in fact she claims to like The Stones. But because she so smart, and KNOWS nobody in the early 70's or past their 7th album can do anything of artistic merit, she refused to listen to anything recorded after "Rock And Roll Circus", which she claims to really like. But her reasoning has more to do with Jagger looking sexy than anything to do with the music.

She says some really idiotic things, like when you have a band with a long career, you have to pick one era and stick to it. Why? Why not just enjoy all of it? And she says for her, with the Stones, that "era" is R&R Circus in 1968. So I'm not even sure she understands what an era is. What a narrow-minded point of view. For each artist she even really likes she'll apparently not listen to anything past the 7th album, or outside the era she likes best.... just because that was an idea she came up with one day while trying to sound interesting.

She comes across as somebody who is more interested in sounding smart about music and going against the grain than just enjoying it. She has all these rules and biases, and is apparently incapable of just listening to something for what it is and making a sound judgement.

It would be one thing if she gave it an honest listen and didn't like it. I know A LOT of people who don't like The Stones. Namely 75% of people I know. But it's because they really don't like that kind of music, not because they like to sound smart.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 18, 2015 22:31

Millions of people disagree with her. In the immortal words of Peter Green: "oh well".

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 18, 2015 22:42

Nikkei

ROFL >grinning smiley<

Cheers,
SonicD

Date: April 18, 2015 22:55

Nikkei

Reading that was more like...

Date: April 18, 2015 23:02

The riff of Brown Sugar is only "quite decent"? OH LORD what a wet blanket... If she had a cock she would get a boner when hearing the intro but, wait, not sure you have to be a man to feel that way.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 18, 2015 23:54

Wild Horses, on the other hand, is probably the worst song ever written, in the history of music. I don’t just mean that it’s a bad song. It’s the worst song. The lyrics are appalling and Jagger’s voice is unbearably nasal. He sounds like he’s having a five minute long cry wank, and for heaven’s sake, I know it’s the title of the song, but please stop talking about wild horses. No one cares that much about wild horses, and you certainly didn’t need to go on about them for this long. This goddamn song is so long it kind of becomes a vague droning noise in the background, and you pretty much have the time to go get married, start a new life in the Bahamas, get divorced and come back, and Jagger will still not be done mewling in the background. I wish the Rolling Stones could un-write Wild Horses. I would pay them some actual, real English pounds for them to un-write it.

Yes finally! THANK YOU. thumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: April 18, 2015 23:55

"So you know, maybe Dead Flowers and Moonlight Mile are the best songs on the album, maybe the rest is just one big warm-up act, and maybe that’s what I’ve been missing out on all this time, but you know what? I don’t care. I do not care. I have essentially lost the will to live listening to the first 80% of this album, and I don’t want to know about what I may or may not be missing out on."

I agree 100%.

Date: April 19, 2015 00:11

Redhotcarpet

Wild Horses, on the other hand, is probably the worst song ever written, in the history of music. I don’t just mean that it’s a bad song. It’s the worst song. The lyrics are appalling and Jagger’s voice is unbearably nasal. He sounds like he’s having a five minute long cry wank, and for heaven’s sake, I know it’s the title of the song, but please stop talking about wild horses. No one cares that much about wild horses, and you certainly didn’t need to go on about them for this long. This goddamn song is so long it kind of becomes a vague droning noise in the background, and you pretty much have the time to go get married, start a new life in the Bahamas, get divorced and come back, and Jagger will still not be done mewling in the background. I wish the Rolling Stones could un-write Wild Horses. I would pay them some actual, real English pounds for them to un-write it.

Yes finally! THANK YOU. thumbs upsmileys with beer

Really? Because that's one of the biggest dipshit things I ever read. I don't care for Wild Horses either, that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Plenty of people like it, so why should they be without it because somebody thinks they're too cool for school? People who think something shouldn't exist just because it's not to their tastes are a whole different level of arrogant. And the bit about nobody caring about wild horses so stop singing about it, mindbogglingly dumb.

Date: April 19, 2015 00:13

Geez dont take it so seriously! I happen to hate Wild Horses, I think it's piece of crap. I apologize but that's just the way it is. I agree with her on that.

Date: April 19, 2015 00:37

Redhotcarpet
Geez dont take it so seriously! I happen to hate Wild Horses, I think it's piece of crap. I apologize but that's just the way it is. I agree with her on that.

As I said, I don't care for it either. That doesn't mean it should be "un-written". My distaste for this woman has little to do with her opinion of the Stones and more to do with her unbelievable ego. I would have felt the same way if she were talking about a band I don't even care for. I had the same conversation with my girlfriend the other day. She said something about wishing some show she didn't like would be cancelled. Why? Just don't watch it. Just because she doesn't like that show isn't reason for all the people who do like it to go without. It's just a level of conceit that I can't wrap my mind around.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1696
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home