Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jiving sister fanny
Posted by: DirtyT ()
Date: April 17, 2015 03:19

That came on at the bar I was at yesterday (Yardhouse, Dedham mass)...so awesome to hear out like that..
would be nice to hear on tour..
mick taylor on lead?

Re: Jiving sister fanny
Posted by: Plink ()
Date: April 17, 2015 03:42

Love that song! I'm no Stones scholar but it certainly sounds like MT and I assume it is (but if I'm wrong I know I'll be corrected in very short order winking smiley). I love hearing the Stones at high volume in a bar or club - I could never get away w/ cranking my stereo up to "11" where I live.

Posted by: DirtyT ()
Date: April 17, 2015 03:49

I thought there could be outside shot it was ry cooder...but he's more slide.

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: April 17, 2015 03:59

From Zentgraf:

750606A 6th June 1969
: THE ROLLING STONES.
LP 'Metamorphosis' (Decca SKL 5512). Producer: Jimmy Miller. Incl.
- Jiving Sister Fanny (MJ/KR)
Line-up ‘Jiving Sister Fanny’: MT (gtr)/MJ (voc)/KR (gtr)/BW (bass)/CW (dr)/ Nicky Hopkins (p)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-17 03:59 by MidnightPeanut.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 17, 2015 04:35

That's Taylor...great track!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 17, 2015 06:45

Taylor just doing his thang. Thats the kind of song they should bring him out for. People would die from surprise.

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: April 17, 2015 13:08

It would be nice. ...But taylor is not on this new tour. ..

Date: April 17, 2015 13:10

Plink
Love that song! I'm no Stones scholar but it certainly sounds like MT and I assume it is (but if I'm wrong I know I'll be corrected in very short order winking smiley). I love hearing the Stones at high volume in a bar or club - I could never get away w/ cranking my stereo up to "11" where I live.

It's both Taylor and Keith, surely.

This song has great sounds and a great groove - but as a song is pretty pedestrian, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-17 13:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: April 17, 2015 13:54

^^^^
Well, what can I say, DP? I love a good pedestrian groove!

Naturally, I assumed the "chunka chunka" rhythm came courtesy of Keef. DirtyT asked who was playing lead - so it's both Taylor and Keith on lead? Are they switching off? I guess just can't hear Keith in there, but I'll take your word for it.

Date: April 17, 2015 13:58

Plink
^^^^
Well, what can I say, DP? I love a good pedestrian groove!

Naturally, I assumed the "chunka chunka" rhythm came courtesy of Keef. DirtyT asked who was playing lead - so it's both Taylor and Keith on lead? Are they switching off? I guess just can't hear Keith in there, but I'll take your word for it.

Ah, didn't see that question smiling smiley

It's Taylor on lead guitar.

Don't get me wrong, I love the track, but it could have used a bridge.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 17, 2015 14:44

For me "Jiving Sister Fanny", and what Taylor is put to do there, is exactly a kind of stuff they knew they will going to have when they decided to pick up the latest guitar sensation from John Mayall's band... Or like Taylor stating there "guys, this is what I am good at"...

But as it turned out to be, The Stones were quite careful how to use that 'weapon' in their records, or let's say, Taylor quite quickly integrated more to their sound. Live, of course, is another thing...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-17 14:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: April 17, 2015 15:09

Izzy Stradlin did a great live version of this song, really rocked it up but still keep the groove.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: April 17, 2015 15:10

Nicky Hopkins is great on this....he's the glue that holds it all together.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 17, 2015 16:29

Great song, and so simple. It shows that for the Stones to sound great, they don't need clever songs, complicated chord schemes, profound lyrics, exotic sound effects. They just need that groovy rhythm section, and then Keith adding to the rhythm and Mick Jagger singing as only Mick Jagger can.
I am sure they could come up with a 1 chord song and as long as they really play it, sweat it, feel it, it will rock the house upside down.
What keeps on surprising me is that so few bands are able to "get" that groove right. The version by Izzy Stradlin shows my point: it's the same song but he turns it into something metal, hardrock and it looses all its playful, naughty, tongue-in-cheek (sex-)appeal.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 17, 2015 18:10

I fully agree with matxil about that version of Izzy Stradlin. It shows again the strength
of the engine powered by Keith, Charlie and Bill (the wobble), aided by Nicky.
Sometimes the greatness of the Stones is explained best when hearing another band playing
one of their songs.
Here's another example that ephasizes the greatness of the Stones. It would be great
had there not already been a version by the Stones themselves:

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 17, 2015 18:30

And here's Fanny:

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 17, 2015 19:02

Who is on keyboards? Very cool.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: April 17, 2015 19:59

And let's not forget that "Jiving' Sister Fanny" serves as a learning aid to the student of biology and natural history. It reminds us that dinosaurs had very small brains relative to the size of their bodies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2536
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home