Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I've never watched "@#$%& Blues"...
Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: July 15, 2005 00:23

What is it like?...

Johanna

Re: I've never watched "@#$%& Blues"...
Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: July 15, 2005 00:48

It´s kind of a time document. Interesting but not as scandalous as some may say. Sometimes it´s even boring. It´s worth watching but don´t expect too much.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 15, 2005 00:49

mostly a bore...a few interesting concert moments, but mostly forgettable backstage scenes and the like with the occasionally staged event like the "airplane scene" or the TV hotel scene. But, you have to be in a really weird mood to force yourself to sit through the whole thing.....

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 15, 2005 00:54

ya ,,,no big deal

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 15, 2005 01:23

jostorm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is it like?...
>
> Johanna

if youre going to Lucinda Williams this month, remind me and I'll bring a copy for you

agree with all the reviews above, though

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: July 15, 2005 01:48

It's a classic. The 'so you just want one apple?' conversation between Keith and the hotel kitchen is briljant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-15 01:48 by Potted Shrimp.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: July 15, 2005 02:17

Highly Over-rated, PG-13 at best except the airplane scene ; this part is filmed so poorly, the camera jerks all around .Although you see what's going on with the groupie being passed around like a sack of pale potatoes, it is hardly hard core .Also the sound is poor so the dialog, be it as it may, is sometimes not audiuble. I bought this years ago from Ebay and maybe watched it one time all the way through.

Posted by: SpanishTony ()
Date: July 15, 2005 03:26

Any idea where one could purchase a copy?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 15, 2005 08:28

it's available on ebay pretty much nonstop.
i agree with the assessments above: it's mostly dull and dingy-spirited. the filmmaker seems not to have had a lot of access to the artists (why else spend so much time focussed on the swarms of grubby hangers-on, as if they were interesting). about the only uplifting moments in the movie are the ones that are about the music, and there aren't enough of them.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-15 09:38 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: July 15, 2005 09:33

It would be alot better if the "missing" segments of the movie were included, i.e. the arrest at Rhode Island etc...
They were recorded, but where are they...?? Now that would be a true doco !

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: July 15, 2005 09:39

I think it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. If they wanted to show the tedious side of touring they only succeeded in making a boring movie.
I wish someone with great editing skills and imagination would go through all of the material shot for CSB and make a DVD out of that. Not a remake of this mother of all things overrated, but a completely different movie.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 15, 2005 10:15

I find it very interesting.
Its a documentary of the life on the road.
And its realistic.
You won't find stereotype MTV crap like "the Doors" by Oliver Stone or romantic Almost Famous. Keith IS wasted, and you feel sorry for him. No cool super hero one would want to emulate.
And thank god so.

C

Posted by: scenearts ()
Date: July 15, 2005 11:40

Jostorm, if you do have trouble getting to see it, I can get you one sorted. If you are going to try and buy one, get the 4 REEL DVD version- it has lots of really good extras on it AUSTRALIA 73 TOUR DOCUMENTARY/ SOME PROMOS.Cannot remember them all but the extra's are much much better than the CS BLUES Film, which is terrible - poor quality and very boring.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 15, 2005 12:21

liddas Wrote:
> > I find it very interesting.
> Its a documentary of the life on the road.
> And its realistic.
> You won't find stereotype MTV crap like "the
> Doors" by Oliver Stone or romantic Almost Famous.
> Keith IS wasted, and you feel sorry for him. No
> cool super hero one would want to emulate.
> And thank god so.
>
> C
>
>

I dont think its that realistic really.

The scenes that are the most 'infamous' - eg, the groupies on the plane and the TV set being thrown at the window - are quite obviously 'staged' for the camera

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 15, 2005 12:43

"The scenes that are the most 'infamous' - eg, the groupies on the plane and the TV set being thrown at the window - are quite obviously 'staged' for the camera"

Well, there are only a few. Then again, why 'infamous'? Who hasn't acted stupid or staged something in front of a camera? I don't think that the TV scene is there to show how the Stones were bad guys or something. It's the "hey, film this!" attitude.

C

Re: "@#$%& Blues"
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 15, 2005 13:27

i think the point is that some people find it hard to call the film "a realistic documentary" when it's got scenes in it that were clearly staged.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: July 15, 2005 14:34

The film shows us that the life on the road can be very boring sometimes. Even with The Rolling Stones in 1972. ;-)

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: July 15, 2005 14:55

SpanishTony Wrote:
> Any idea where one could purchase a copy?

You can download any number of versions from a bunch of sites if you use bit torrent.

Date: July 15, 2005 15:12

Dear Johanna,

There are only two movies I watch everyday.
L&G and CS Blues.
They are from 1972.
Before and after 72 nothing else matters.
72 is the best.
CS Blues has won the STP awards for
- Best Movie
- Best use of technicolor :-))
- Best concert scene
- Best singer
- Best guitar players
- Best airplane footage
- Best TV
- Best sound
- Best director
- Best policeman
- Best drummer
- Best horns
- best pianoplayer
- best heroin shot
- best Marshall Chess
- best Peter Rudge
- best songs
- best tour
- best ever
- best george
- george best

Schuine

Posted by: captkirk ()
Date: July 15, 2005 16:56

I think the film is very much a time capsule of that era. So on that basis alone I like the film. The concert footage of the Stones with Stevie Wonder ain't to shabby either. It could have been better, but it is what it is. I certainly say if you've never seen it, to pick it up.

Bill

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: July 15, 2005 18:38

Thanks, everyone !
So, do I understand correctly that the director filmed it while being under the influence, that it's a documentary without a script, and that you have to watch it under the influence so you don't notice there's no bloody storyline at all??? And that the stewardesses on the flight passed around scantily-clad women instead of bags of potato crisps?? And that most male fans who saw it are really pissed off that it wasn't much more graphic and that the director shouted "cuuuu-huuuut" just when things were getting interesting??? And that the health and safety officer on set tested the double-glazing of the hotel window with a TV-set??? But that I should watch it, because while I was doing my homework in 1972 like the good girl that I was, other people were actually having big fun, but they were bored at the same time??? (some people are real hard to please...)
hmmm....ok, I think I'll watch it when I get a chance....

Schuine: when you introduced me to your lovely wife at the Panama, I didn't get the impression at all that she was married to someone who watches L&G and CSB every day. Please pass on my condolences as well as my sincere admiration at how amazing she is for putting up with it!
scenearts: many thanks, that's really sweet, but I think I'll see Gazza next week in Manchester...
Gazza: that would be great, thank you, will attempt buying one ticket now...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 15, 2005 18:45

I think it'sa great movie. I love the terrible color. And there is far enough great stuff in there. Let me refresh memories:
Keith ordering the apple of course
Jagger (?) groping himself
The rap by the Heroin dealer!
The drive through southern country with Jagger bored
The pool game; Charlie
The musical box. That weird atmosphere of Bianca nd Jagger not talking.
Keith nodding out
Keith and Jagger listening to the actetate of "Happy"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1645
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home