Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1975 Tour of the Americas: 40 years ago...
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 16, 2015 01:21

<<when's ya 50th???????????????>>

August 2016--then I'll be 50 & counting, he-he

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 01:22 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 16, 2015 02:12

stonehearted

Congratulations on making it... that is the idea.
(that is what was said to me when I was bumming out htting mile stones)

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 16, 2015 02:44

Naturalust
Pietro
The 1975 tour -- brought to you by Cocaine, the drug everyone loves.

Watch the videos. Everybody except Watts and Wyman is cruising on the white powder.

Oh yeah, give me some expensive power, made with toxic chemicals, guaranteed to make you paranoid, jittery, unfulfilled and needing more. eye rolling smiley A 5 minute truth followed by a many hour lie.

I always thought it was un-musical too, never understood it's appeal in a purely musical sense other that it's ability to keep you awake.

But the Stones did indeed seem to operate for many years under it's influence and unfortunately, probably influenced many other musicians to try the same approach...probably no coincidence we ended up with the dreadful music and music business of the 1980's.

peace

Except the Stones were tooting pharmaceutical coke not stepped on street crap and not paying for it. And if you have ever done really pure coke you would know it is more than a 5 minute high and there is nothing quite like it.

Not justifying cocaine use just saying they were supplied with the best.

Did it effect their music and performances? most likely but then again the band was doing coke as far back as 69 according to those who were on tour with them.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 16, 2015 02:50

Leonioid
stonehearted

Congratulations on making it... that is the idea.
(that is what was said to me when I was bumming out htting mile stones)

Thanks! And I've got no thoughts about retiring. smoking smiley

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 16, 2015 05:42

Dave G- Thank you sir!!

Posted by: kswil ()
Date: May 12, 2015 22:56

Hey everyone - new user here. I've recently been all stones all the time. I'm very interested in the lotus stage Robin Wagner designed and I've heard that there was an article published by the New York Post with lots of great photos after the MSG shows. Anyone have any idea where I can find that sort of thing? Looks like the Post doesn't have a public archive... Thanks!

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 12, 2015 23:24

June 8 at the old Milwaukee County Stadium. My first, and least favorite Stones show. I was eighteen and had been a pretty serious fan since my girlfriend shoplifted a copy of EOMS for my birthday in '72. GYYYO? Are you kidding me? I didn't even have to put the record on the turntable; I could hear every lick, every cymbal crash in my head any time I wanted. I had devoured Dalton's "Unauthorized Biography" and anything else I could get my hands on. So, yeah, I was pretty excited to see "my" band live.

What I didn't consider was that by '75 they were a different band than they were just a couple of years earlier. Who the hell is Ollie Brown and why do they have another drummer onstage with Charlie?? Billy Preston??? WTF?? I thought Jagger was waaay too camp-y and HTW the worst song they could have picked to open with. The fact that I was in the far back of the stadium in those primitive pre-video-mega-screen days didn't help. So, while it was still cool to see them (at least, I think it was them waaay out there against the centerfield wall) it was, in the end, a bit of a letdown. I couldn't wait to get home, put on GYYYO and remember how dangerous and nasty they used to be.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 12, 2015 23:30

This was my first Stones show as well. Saw them at MSG where Santana joined them for SFTD. Had floor seats and, from what I can still remember, it was one of the most amazing concerts I ever attended.

Back then a Stones concert at MSGF was not just a concert but an all day event.

NYC was buzzing with adrenaline from those concerts.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 12, 2015 23:58

It's probably my favorite tour of the Wood years musically, but I enjoy the setlists of the '76 shows more because of the Black And Blue songs.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: May 13, 2015 00:40

Also my first Stones show, in Greensboro, NC.

Nothing like seeing your favorite band for the first time!

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 13, 2015 01:18

kswil
Hey everyone - new user here. I've recently been all stones all the time. I'm very interested in the lotus stage Robin Wagner designed and I've heard that there was an article published by the New York Post with lots of great photos after the MSG shows. Anyone have any idea where I can find that sort of thing? Looks like the Post doesn't have a public archive... Thanks!
kswil,check out this thread,it has all the pictures, articles,of the 75 Tota Tour.including lots of stuff from MSG.....[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: May 13, 2015 01:49

My first time seeing them at the tender age of 16. The intensity of emotion waiting for them to come on was amazing. The stage and lighting were amazing and I gobbled it all up because I was into that kind of stuff back then. I was very impressed on the nerd side for all that stuff. I thought it was so cool that Mick and Charlie came up with such a great concept.

In retrospect I think the weak link on that tour was Mick. It was the presumably unconscious self-parody stage for him, and the vocals were more like barking than anything else. He was in theory "so into the show" that the delivery of satisfying vocals "did not count." At least that is my take on it. I have a feeling that Mick watched and listened to himself after the fact and realized how s*itless his vocals were on the up-tempo rock songs. He quickly got it right after that tour and even in "punky" 1978 he delivered decent, intelligible vocals.

But the old saying, there is nothing like the first time. Seeing the Rolling Stones in 1975 was one of the most amazing concert experiences of my life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-13 01:50 by MileHigh.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: May 13, 2015 10:54

Having narrowly missed out on tickets in 1972 I was bound and @#$%& determined to see them for the first time on this 75 tour and for 10 US bucks I did and from that point on I was hooked. Hence my user name for this site which BV randomly picked for me, without me even telling him I might add. So now you know BV is telepathic.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: May 13, 2015 15:03

Greensboro, NC July 31, 1975....thank you to the RS for opening my eyes and emptying my wallet!

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 13, 2015 15:26

I was only 8 years old during TOTA. My aunt took me and my brother to KISS-AC/DC in Largo, MD (77-78) for my first official big concert. Then we went to Warner Theatre in 78 for Some Girls/Out on bail tour, and I have been ONLYSTONES since. I have not missed a tour in the US since.

Posted by: kswil ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:44

Great! Thanks so much for your help. I'll definitely check out that thread!

Posted by: LadyJane ()
Date: May 13, 2015 20:44

Saw them in June in Buffalo's old Memorial Aud. I had just turned 15. Totally mezmerized. I'll never forget the house lights dimming, Fanfare for the Common Man and then the first chords of HTW.

And then perched atop the petal of the Lotus Stage there was Mick Jagger.

Still get goosebumps thinking about it.

Saw them again in Aug of 75 when they returned to Buffalo after cancelling the South American leg of TOTA.

Haven't missed a tour since.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1676
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home