Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sad Day
Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 13, 2005 22:21

I love this tune! A little gem from the mid-60's (indeed, a great era for the Stones), Sad Day has many good qualities: interesting chord progression, great vocals by Mick, wonderful arrangements, and solid production. There was also some experimentation with those strange, pulsating sound effects coming at the end (probably from Brian's guitar), lending a psychedelic air. Sad Day is a very charming song from a productive, vibrant era, one which the Stones never attempted to recapture since the end of the '60's . . .

Re: Sad Day
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: July 13, 2005 22:47

great song. I like most of the stuff they were doing during those sessions.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 13, 2005 22:47

Good song. It is one from that in between era, after the early days but before the trippy sound of Satanic Majesties but the Stones still manage to give the song a psychedelic feel. Same goes for songs like Backstreet Girl and a bunch of others on Flowers. While the early Stones stuff is often overlooked by fans and the band itself, this little period 66-67 contains a bunch of songs that are great but never played by the band or known by casual fans.

How cool would it be to hear a song like this or Sitting on a Fence live.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 14, 2005 01:03

Yeah great song that doesn't get much attention. Love the opening lyrics, imagine Mick writing that line now days.

"Someone woke me up this mornin' and I lit a cigarette"

ROCKMAN

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 14, 2005 01:35

Yes Rockman, that's a great opening line which sets the mood perfectly. It's very rock n roll, youthful, rebellious. Mick quit smoking a long time ago. This song has been knocked by others mainly for Mick's vocal efforts, but I completely disagree. I believe its one of his better efforts from that period. I also love the interplay between the guitars, piano, and organ. The Stones were so good at arranging back then . . .

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: July 14, 2005 02:27

Truly a sad day for me...

I too like this song and cued my "Flowers" mono cd with the Belgian album cover today. I just found out that my mother has less than 10 days to live and she is in San Diego. I happen to be in Phoenix at the moment and will be flying there shortly. We all knew it was coming but nevertheless I found it peculiar that someone mentioned this oddball song as a posting today because it is very à propos for me right now.

Cordially,

Craig

Posted by: Uncle Thud ()
Date: July 14, 2005 03:50

Sorry to hear about your mother.
I'm sure no words could ever express the love and appreciation she will feel by having you by her side.
Take care

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 14, 2005 10:01

Sorry to hear your news.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 14, 2005 14:48

Sorry to hear that Charles. You gotta go out there and see her.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 14, 2005 19:56

My sympathy to you Charles. My dad is also very ill following cancer surgery. Just day to day right now. Sad Day is a underrated song that has a classic Stones sound that only they could make at that time. An excellent mix with the band on top of their game. I was listening to some old sessions outtakes the other day and an early run through with Keith on vocals for Dandelion stands out impressively. Anyone else like that one?

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 14, 2005 20:34

great song - love the psychedelic feel at the chorus.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: July 14, 2005 20:51

Good luck Charles. Keep a good thought.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home