Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Rolling Stone Magazine: Mick Jagger: 'I'm Not Thinking About Retirement'
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 8, 2015 10:13

They will still have the local choirs, so YCAGWYW will most likely stay in the set.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 8, 2015 11:16

Yeah someone posted a quote from Twitter (?) where the member of a choir said they would be singing with the Stones this summer I think?

Doxa
Namely, the way Jagger talked about his "good demos" pretty much indicates what kind of record and recording sessions it is going to be like if 'they' finally decide to do it. Something we were introduced when they cut two songs in three days three years ago. Quick and effective. That also means that if Keith Richards has anything to 'say' he needs to have the song(s) already finished. Most likely, already in the can - not (any longer) just some riffs and basic ideas and one-liners - that Mick needs to finish up. Like he had with "One More Shot" that he needed to borrow from his solo recordings with Jordan. I can easily think that when Mick asked if he had something, that request required an actual, finished song - there was no time in the studio to develop and finish it. That's why Keith needed to use already finished 'Wino' song.(...)

Based on how Mick described the "selection" process for D&G in an interview in 2012, it seems that once UMG told them they'd like two new songs for Grrrr and they agreed (they didn't owe them by contract apparently), Don Was did the selection work. Mick recalled how he sent a first song, Don Was and his engineer said it was great but asked if he had more stuff, Mick said he thought he knew what they were looking for and he sent them D&G. I think there is still some "editing" going on in the studio because originally OMS was reported as being called "One Last Shot". I'm not sure if it's been more than that for a very long time now...the SW sessions possibly? They tried it again for VL but it didn't seem to work out too well. As for ABB, Keith said he'd "layed RJ and TPIE on Mick" and added "fairy dust" to tracks like LMDS, the rest...well we'll never know. Clearly they could put out a D&G/OMS type of album pretty quickly, now whether they'll do it is another question, especially with Keith's solo album as a possible stumbling block, would he accept to shelve it...I'd vote for an EP or a 10 track album! The stumbling

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-08 11:18 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: RogerStones ()
Date: April 8, 2015 11:59

It's sad that they keep asking the same questions again and again !!

- Is this going to be the last tour ?
- How do you get ready for a tour ?
- Are you thinking aboit retirement ?

Boring, boring, boring interview

I know, it's only rock´nd roll but I like it !

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 8, 2015 13:31

bv
Mick says "hope so" because he simply has got a 25% vote on the subject. He might have opinons, strong opinons, but he is not a dictator.

He says hope so in order to keep the hope alive that they may do so, for promotional purposes, to sell tickets, to keep alive the idea that they are a real creative band, but he well knows it will never happen and, yes of course it is up to him, the others would be there in a second. They don't do it because they have nothing to say.

He is the number one front man ever in the history of rock and roll,on stage, on records, and also doing his job here. I'm not knocking him , but that is the truth. Nobody has ever been as good as him at giving interviews, at knowing exactly what he wants to say and how to say it.

No retirement for Mick !
Posted by: HappyRambler ()
Date: April 8, 2015 13:13

This article in Dutch newspaper this morning:

[www.telegraaf.nl]

Keep on Rolling.............smileys with beer

Re: No retirement for Mick !
Date: April 8, 2015 13:47

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 8, 2015 21:17

Doxa
stonehearted
Irix
stonehearted

Why does Mick have to "hope so" about recording a new Stones album?

Keith said also "I hope so" recently in the iHeartRadio interview about recording a new Stones album ....

Yes, but without Mick's willingness to commit to an actual recording project, all Keith can do is hope.

It was Mick who was the deciding factor for that week of studio time for the 2 songs they included on GRRR, and it is Mick who is keeping them from recording a further full album.

Charlie certainly doesn't care, but will do his part if called upon. Woodie would certainly be keen. Keith has stated repeatedly for years how much he wants for there to be a new Stones album. Mick has publicly expressed his reticence about a new Stones record for the reasons stated in a 2013 article: [blog.sfgate.com]

Mick blames the fans, you see. Nevermind Mick's 25% vote--he's allocated his percentage vote to the fans, and he's fully committed to keep not giving them what he claims they clearly don't want.

If you do the math, all that's needed is Mick's 25% vote to make it happen; otherwise, the prospect of a new album, if you'll pardon the pun, is always back to zero.

If we believe what Mick and Keith say, and we take this democratic 25% each idea seriously, it is then up to Ronnie or Charlie, or both of them, why the Stones are not planning to make an album. Something wrong with that conclusion, right? Basically Mick and Keith made A BIGGER BANG together, the rest were just adding their contribution later. I mean, if there is a mutual will by The Twins, nothing in this world prevents a new Stones album to born...

Apparantly there is not, or either of them - or both - are bluffing there.

Unlike Stonehearted I am not totally blaming Jagger here. I have started being rather cynical towards Keith's public assertions. All this talk of "if I only could get the boys in" (studio) sounds rather autopilot PR talk to me. That's what we have heard him saying for ages. Keith's romantic rhetorics is image-friendly, and surely pleases his fans. Probably some truth in there, but what is the actual pragmatic or realistic substance?

Namely, the way Jagger talked about his "good demos" pretty much indicates what kind of record and recording sessions it is going to be like if 'they' finally decide to do it. Something we were introduced when they cut two songs in three days three years ago. Quick and effective. That also means that if Keith Richards has anything to 'say' he needs to have the song(s) already finished. Most likely, already in the can - not (any longer) just some riffs and basic ideas and one-liners - that Mick needs to finish up. Like he had with "One More Shot" that he needed to borrow from his solo recordings with Jordan. I can easily think that when Mick asked if he had something, that request required an actual, finished song - there was no time in the studio to develop and finish it. That's why Keith needed to use already finished 'Wino' song.

So if there is a new Rolling Stones album in the horizon, I predict that it will follow pretty much the 'Doom&Gloom"/"One More Shot" formula. It is pretty far from the old, almost romantic days and ways the Stones made records. Is Keith really ready - or even willing - for that? Or, we can ask, is Keith even able to do that, which is pretty much in conflict with the way he has worked about all of his life?

The cruel fact is that it is now over decade since the Glimmer Twins last time sit down to 'write' together. 'Write' in the sense of somehow changing ideas, each adding something to other's compositions (most likely that it goes one way: Mick finishing Keith's sketches). It starts to look like that A BIGGER BANG is fated to be the last real colloboration of Jagger/Richards. Since then Jagger seems to be totally independent creatively, or at least not interested doing any creative work with Keith. My guess is that the problem is in Keith's input. Be those too little, or not good enough, or that Mick sees a 'creative colloboration' with Keith a waste of time, or whatever, I don't know.

Last time Mick colloborated with Keith was in tracks into which Keith had made his contributions decades ago. It is telling that that Keith Richards from the 70's seem to inspire Jagger much more than the one of today.

Anyway, this was just some speculations why it really seems to be hard to get the Stones back in the studio, even though both principals seem to have so positive signals about that - but nothing is happening. We know the 'outer' reasons - the albums don't sell, audiences don't want to hear new songs, etc. - but I think there also some 'inner' ones.

- Doxa

I hope that the new album will prove your observation wrong. I know that you were not fond of ABB, but parts of it were I think quite astonishing (It wont take long, Laugh I nearly died and Rain fall down to name three tracks) - and definitely stronger than delieveries from other acts of their generation ten years ago).

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: April 8, 2015 21:55

no mick taylor. no thanks!

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 9, 2015 01:38

Koen
caschimann
Just 4 replies here in over an hour and a halfyawning smiley

You know, some of us work, and don't have time to sit behind their computer the whole day looking for new messages on iorr.

And....Some of us don't work and don't have time to sit behind their computer the whole day looking for new messages on iorr.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 9, 2015 05:46

Cocaine Eyes
WHY doe s he say "but" or "maybe" so much?

He said years ago, if you plan on doing something and it doesn't happen you look like a twat. Well, he said a different word.

Date: April 9, 2015 05:48

jazzbass
Great read. Now to count FF miles for a trip to such American this fall. What is the safest city to visit there?

Canada.

Date: April 9, 2015 05:57

Naturalust
The "it must be physically demanding" question seems right out of Mick's playbook.

So old. WHY does that question still come up? Pathetic.

Naturalust
Mick indicates and admits that the Stones are the best and most likely vehicle for his new tunes. That is refreshing. The fact that he's done really good demos of all of them tells us that he doesn't really depend on Keith anymore to help finish his tunes and helps to explain why some have described new Stones records as a mish mash of Mick solo tunes and Keith solo tunes.

Yep. In other words, nothing new, really. The same old tired shit. Expect another 'Stones' -by- numbers LP... IF they bother.

Naturalust
Micks statement's of "I don't know" and "I hope so" concerning a new record are not anything particularly new... His "I've got songs that would be great for the Stones" tells us his approach is more individualistic. The days of all the Stones sitting around in a room for hours creating new music by banging out riffs, grooves and lyrics till they are perfect are long gone. As Doxa points out Mick and Keith are obviously not compelled to even communicate about their new tunes.

More among a plethora of reasons why a new LP should not be done. And the sad thing is, after getting Mick Taylor to go out with them for 3 calendar years, he's not invited on a tour that is, I guess, promoting STICKY FINGERS aka the album "Mick Taylor was now fully integrated into the group" of and a live album from a private show from that time as well. That's just ass backwards and wrong.

Then again, so was DIRTY WORK. So whutevahhhh.

Date: April 9, 2015 06:04

kammpberg
I don't know why Mick think's it's cute to pretend he doesn't know what songs are on what albums, or what albums followed another album. At least I hope he's pretending. I'm sure Mick runs the show, heavily involved in every aspect of The Stones - so why not act it. "Fans" not in the know would have more respect for Mick. You know Springsteen and U2 know every second of every detail of every release, and I'm sure Mick does as well.

Exactly. At the New Orleans show on the VOODOO tour Mick said 'Yeah we got one from somewhere in the 70s I think this one is from BLACK AND BLUE it's called Heartbreaker'.

I find that whole deal to be a bit silly.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 9, 2015 08:44

GasLightStreet
kammpberg
I don't know why Mick think's it's cute to pretend he doesn't know what songs are on what albums, or what albums followed another album. At least I hope he's pretending. I'm sure Mick runs the show, heavily involved in every aspect of The Stones - so why not act it. "Fans" not in the know would have more respect for Mick. You know Springsteen and U2 know every second of every detail of every release, and I'm sure Mick does as well.

Exactly. At the New Orleans show on the VOODOO tour Mick said 'Yeah we got one from somewhere in the 70s I think this one is from BLACK AND BLUE it's called Heartbreaker'.

Keith is probably more aware of which tunes are on which record, he stikes me as the type to listen to his own stuff more than Mick. Mick may not be as aware mainly since they recorded songs in different periods and put them on different records. For instance songs he may associate with Sticky Fingers actually made it on to Exile. But once he has done a re-issue in modern times, I'm sure he is more aware. He may not be as big of a fan of his own music as many of us are and the 70's was a long time ago.

That being said, I agree it is a bit suspect for songs they are playing live. And it is a bit of a put off as in "I know you guys know which record this came off and which place in the order it was, but I can't be bothered with Stones history" as he proceeds to play a whole concert of 40 year old songs.

I was first put off by this in a scene (CS Blues?) where they are asking him about an Exile song and he goes "Oh yeah I think that's on the acoustic side, I quite like the acoustic side"...they had just finished that record and I'm fairly sure it was an act at that time. He should try to come of as caring more about his records if he expects us to. One of the reasons Keith can be more endearing. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: April 9, 2015 09:15

RogerStones
It's sad that they keep asking the same questions again and again !!

- Is this going to be the last tour ?
- How do you get ready for a tour ?
- Are you thinking aboit retirement ?

Boring, boring, boring interview

I know, it's only rock´nd roll but I like it !

I know, I would love to do an interview like this.
I was interested in the interview but there was certainly many, many better questions that could have been asked.

There could be reasons for the "boring" and "usual" questions though.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: April 12, 2015 01:55

Funny, I remember that scene very clearly in CS Blues and it bugged me too. Hell it was 1972 and they had just done the album and he was acting so unsure like you said. Perhaps he's trying to act naive and very cool/distant except I don't buy it. I think Micks been running the show for a very long time and is involved in every decision. I think he puts 100% into everything he does, yet he wants to come off distant from his own work. And yes Keith comes off more endearing because of this even though Mick is probably the key decision maker. To me, why act dumb if you're spectacularly smart and put so much into it.

Date: April 12, 2015 02:12

kammpberg
Funny, I remember that scene very clearly in CS Blues and it bugged me too. Hell it was 1972 and they had just done the album and he was acting so unsure like you said. Perhaps he's trying to act naive and very cool/distant except I don't buy it. I think Micks been running the show for a very long time and is involved in every decision. I think he puts 100% into everything he does, yet he wants to come off distant from his own work. And yes Keith comes off more endearing because of this even though Mick is probably the key decision maker. To me, why act dumb if you're spectacularly smart and put so much into it.

I can only imagine Mick thought that the idea of appearing so non-involved and distant from the product made him look more genius for appearing to actually pull off some amazing records with such little effort or concern. As in "Oh yeah we wrote and recorded that tune in one take while we were basically sleeping". I think only Keith can get away with that one, and only once. smoking smiley

But to his credit, I was amazed at the stories of how quickly Mick was able to write such amazing tracks down in Muscle Shoals.

peace

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: April 12, 2015 02:17

But even Bill doesnt always know what album the song belongs to... Flashpoint/Mick: tonight were gonna try to do a number we dont do very much, its from, its an old country song or something like that, Which album is it from Bill ?. He doesnt know, he doesnt know. Beggars banquet someone said. Its called Factory girl....

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 12, 2015 02:27

GasLightStreet
kammpberg

He's always been like that. Trying to hide how much he really cares.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 20, 2015 21:56

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
kammpberg

Keith is probably more aware of which tunes are on which record, he stikes me as the type to listen to his own stuff more than Mick. Mick may not be as aware mainly since they recorded songs in different periods and put them on different records. For instance songs he may associate with Sticky Fingers actually made it on to Exile. But once he has done a re-issue in modern times, I'm sure he is more aware. He may not be as big of a fan of his own music as many of us are and the 70's was a long time ago.

That being said, I agree it is a bit suspect for songs they are playing live. And it is a bit of a put off as in "I know you guys know which record this came off and which place in the order it was, but I can't be bothered with Stones history" as he proceeds to play a whole concert of 40 year old songs.

I was first put off by this in a scene (CS Blues?) where they are asking him about an Exile song and he goes "Oh yeah I think that's on the acoustic side, I quite like the acoustic side"...they had just finished that record and I'm fairly sure it was an act at that time. He should try to come of as caring more about his records if he expects us to. One of the reasons Keith can be more endearing. smoking smiley

peace

Appeal it is a personal matter. I find Keith's pirate/outlaw pose to be a bit silly.And that staged scene from CB when he threw a TV out of the window for the film crew - I think it's kind of embarrassing but that's me
The main thing Mick remembers all the songs and all words - he talks about it on Stripped.
By the way what do you think about this passage from Keith's RS interview

"KR - What happened after Sticky Fingers? Was it Goats Head Soup or something?
RS - It was Exile.
KR - Of course. I'm getting them mixed up."

Date: April 20, 2015 22:30

proudmary

RS - It was Exile.

It was an awfully long time ago. I guess I don't think it's improbable any of them could get mixed up about the records and songs on them.

Mick remembering the lyrics to all the songs is/would be pretty amazing....now if he would actually sing some of the ones we don't all know the words to! grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 20, 2015 22:50

Naturalust
proudmary

RS - It was Exile.

It was an awfully long time ago. I guess I don't think it's improbable any of them could get mixed up about the records and songs on them.

Absolutely. I just find it funny - that's what Mick said in his RS interview-
"MJ - Now I'm not the greatest Rolling Stones historian, but Exile on Main Street is the one after Sticky Fingers, right?
RS - Right."

From this was born the whole discussion about him being a poser and how he does not sufficiently value their catalog

Date: April 21, 2015 00:36

If Mick could remember the words to Rocks Off... just once... I'll be happy smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2311
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home