Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465Next
Current Page: 61 of 65
Re: The Rolling Stones at The Fonda Theatre LA Wed May 20
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 23, 2015 21:30

Date: May 23, 2015 21:53

What a fantastic review. That gig must have been something thumbs up

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 23, 2015 22:02

roller99,

You rock!
I am honored to have been living vicariously through you for the last few days!

Posted by: triunfopark ()
Date: May 23, 2015 22:05

Thanks for posting, roller99.
I can't get enough of it. She made good points about the band's enthusiasm and connectedness. I too noticed how many times Charlie smiled, both at Mick when he went back for his water and in general. Don't get me wrong, it was probably less than a handful but for Charlie, it was the most animated I've ever seen him. And that in and of itself was so rare and one more thing that made this night almost like a dream. I still can't believe I was lucky enough to be there.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 23, 2015 22:56

A glowing review indeed, although between 'has there ever been a drummer with a more efficient sense of economy than Charlie Watts, 73? There is not a wasted note' and 'songs like Sister Morphine and Sway that they most likely hadn’t played in decades live, if ever' her knowledge leaves something to be desired.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 23, 2015 22:59

It has been long since I had any notable insight from a newspaper review. It's always the feel of "they praise, but do they understand?"

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 23, 2015 23:04

Nice! Thank you for posting, roller99. Not that I was there, but there are a lot of well-perceived truths in that review.

Date: May 23, 2015 23:20

Beast
Nice! Thank you for posting, roller99. Not that I was there, but there are a lot of well-perceived truths in that review.

I'll try and put in writing as much as I can, so you can be there in spirit. I'm still in a nether world. I went to work Thursday and had to leave, I could not concentrate. Now it's on to SD, perhaps MN and Buffalo. Is this really happening? It's almost like someone else went.

Posted by: kdsalter ()
Date: May 23, 2015 23:39

roller99
Beast

I'll try and put in writing as much as I can, so you can be there in spirit. I'm still in a nether world. I went to work Thursday and had to leave, I could not concentrate. Now it's on to SD, perhaps MN and Buffalo. Is this really happening? It's almost like someone else went.

Same with me roller99, zombification. I think I have lost my notion of circular timewinking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 24, 2015 00:07

Stoneburst

A glowing review indeed, although between 'has there ever been a drummer with a more efficient sense of economy than Charlie Watts, 73? There is not a wasted note' and 'songs like Sister Morphine and Sway that they most likely hadn’t played in decades live, if ever' her knowledge leaves something to be desired.

Yes, it's always nice to read good stuff about the band/people you like in a leading media but some accuracy never hurts...the points you mentioned as well as the lack of a teleprompter (that's the one thing that annoys me at shows these days as you can see Mick reading from it, out of habit/security because I don't think he had one at the Trabendo, no room for one?) she lauds, well you can see it on the pics on the previous page.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 24, 2015 00:29

gotdablouse
Stoneburst

Yes, it's always nice to read good stuff about the band/people you like in a leading media but some accuracy never hurts...the points you mentioned as well as the lack of a teleprompter (that's the one thing that annoys me at shows these days as you can see Mick reading from it, out of habit/security because I don't think he had one at the Trabendo, no room for one?) she lauds, well you can see it on the pics on the previous page.

You sure it's not a monitor with some white letters on? It looks a bit tiny..

Date: May 24, 2015 00:37

They were using teleprompters, the reviewer was back 10 rows.

You know they build Teleprompters disguised as stage monitors these days?

edit: This exact one can be seen in the official Trabendo clip at 0:21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 00:44 by Nikkei.

Posted by: bv ()

Forbes:

> I kept looking to see if Jagger was using a teleprompter or lyric sheets for some of the deep album cuts and he wasn’t.

Sorry to ruin a secret but like always Mick had a small screen with set list info and more details on his center right. It was lowered below the stage floor but it was there. Nothing wrong with using a set list and reminders. The show was great still, and you could hardly see Mick using the monitor, but he did at times. May be not for the songs, but at least for the comments between the songs. I did really follow the band, not how Mick followed his monitor. Id did not see any set lists taped to the floor though.

Bjornulf

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 24, 2015 00:51

I would think a reminder is an essential safety net. Being on stage and forgetting the words or your place in the song are what nightmares are made off.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 00:53

swimtothemoon
I would think a reminder is an essential safety net. Being on stage and forgetting the words or your place in the song are what nightmares are made off.

i actually think the mistakes are what make (or made) Stones shows fun. I think the more buttoned-down attitude that started in 1989 took some of the fun out of it.

there should be a thread on here about the best mistakes in concerts, i'm guessing those were some of the most priceless moments over the years.

Date: May 24, 2015 00:57

Turner68
swimtothemoon

i actually think the mistakes are what make (or made) Stones shows fun. I think the more buttoned-down attitude that started in 1989 took some of the fun out of it.

there should be a thread on here about the best mistakes in concerts, i'm guessing those were some of the most priceless moments over the years.

You are right, a band without mistakes is likely not breathing. For this particular gig however Mick wanted to make sure it's release quality, i.e. no lyrical snafus on obscure numbers.

Date: May 24, 2015 00:58

Nikkei
Turner68
swimtothemoon

You are right, a band without mistakes is likely not breathing. For this particular gig however Mick wanted to make sure it's release quality, i.e. no lyrical snafus on obscure numbers.

he uses a teleprompter at every show and has for a while.

Date: May 24, 2015 01:12

If you look above, I pointed that out. Still he does his share of mistakes. I remember a Brown Sugar from last year where he forgot to sing an entire verse. It was fun for Keith and the others. I still maintain that he wouldn't be Mick if he wasn't particularly concerned about forgetting lyrics at the Fonda.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 24, 2015 01:18

Yes it would make sense for him to have one for a show planned for release, it seems that at times he does a better job reading it without it being too noticeable. I remember that clip from Silver Train in Australia where it was really distracting...on the other hand there's this one time where some of us had the good fortune of seeing him read the lyrics off of his Mac and it was rather fascinating ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 24, 2015 01:48

Nikkei's right and is not the only one to have seen those mistakes, even with teleprompter. And Keith does exactly the same and sometmes gives up on the teleprompter altogether. But hey, they are only human after all and I doubt if those of us who choose to see them time and again would do so if they churned out everything down to a tee like robots.

Date: May 24, 2015 01:51

did anyone figure out why Keith flubbed the start me up intro at glastonbury? it seemed so egregious that i almost thought it was intentional.

Date: May 24, 2015 02:01

And in Hyde Park. There are pages on here devoted to the Scarfgate incidents!

Date: May 24, 2015 02:03

Turner68
did anyone figure out why Keith flubbed the start me up intro at glastonbury? it seemed so egregious that i almost thought it was intentional.

Start Me Up at Glastonbury was a glorious effort. You have to mean Hyde Park. There has been a variety of explanations ranging from his scarf to a brainfart to him trying to shake things up in purpose. I go with Brainfart for HP #1 and making a joke of it at HP #2 and perhaps the same in Berlin

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 24, 2015 02:05

Now that the Fonda attendees here have started to be able to reflect on the show a bit, I was wondering if any of you could weigh in on instrumentation for the gig.

1. You Gotta Move: KR on 12-string acoustic for YGM. Did Ronnie also play slide (electric) on this?

2. I Got the Blues: Was it CL or MC who took the organ solo on IGTB? If MC, did he also break it out for JJF?

3. Moonlight Mile: with MJ on guitar, did KR or Ronnie play acoustics? Did MC add string synth parts on this or Sway to approach the studio instrumentation?

4. Sister Morphine: Was everybody on electric for this? I have vague memories of MJ playing acoustic on this for the NS tour.

Thanks for any recollections you may have, and have a great time in SD tomorrow night!!

Date: May 24, 2015 02:25

Turner68

I'm serious, you best listen back to Glasto SMU as I just did. Charlies fills on that are nothing short of incredible.

Date: May 24, 2015 02:26

Nikkei
Turner68

Start Me Up at Glastonbury was a glorious effort. You have to mean Hyde Park. There has been a variety of explanations ranging from his scarf to a brainfart to him trying to shake things up in purpose. I go with Brainfart for HP #1 and making a joke of it at HP #2 and perhaps the same in Berlin

Yes, i'm sorry, i meant Hyde Park, and yes, the fact that he did it twice made me think it was intentional. your explanation makes sense.

Date: May 24, 2015 03:02

winter
Now that the Fonda attendees here have started to be able to reflect on the show a bit, I was wondering if any of you could weigh in on instrumentation for the gig.

1. You Gotta Move: KR on 12-string acoustic for YGM. Did Ronnie also play slide (electric) on this?

2. I Got the Blues: Was it CL or MC who took the organ solo on IGTB? If MC, did he also break it out for JJF? It was Chuck.

3. Moonlight Mile: with MJ on guitar, did KR or Ronnie play acoustics? Did MC add string synth parts on this or Sway to approach the studio instrumentation?

4. Sister Morphine: Was everybody on electric for this? I have vague memories of MJ playing acoustic on this for the NS tour. MJ was just singing.

Thanks for any recollections you may have, and have a great time in SD tomorrow night!!

Date: May 24, 2015 03:03

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 24, 2015 03:06

bv
donvis
If there were a bunch of models and pretty girls down in front then they probay will release a DVD of the show. Are there any other shows Besides the Beacon that had models down front

I have never seen that many cameras in a club show before. Sure this was for a visual production.

In 1995 at The Paradiso Club Amsterdam there were a lot of models front of stage, but after an hour into the show they were all gone and looking for a sandwich (I hope) or gently removed by real fans like me asking: "Why are you standing here".

Both Paradiso shows were filmed professionaly with multiple (many) camaras for a visual production, but never released.

Just sayin'.......smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465Next
Current Page: 61 of 65

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1392
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home