Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Gene Simmons - U2, Stones use backing tracks at gigs
Posted by: superglen ()
Date: March 27, 2015 12:42

[email protected]

U2 on some songs did have a crew member underneath the stage but playing keyboards. Sometimes Edge's guitar would trigger synth/string sounds

U2 have been using tapes, loops and samples on stage since 1984, Unforgettable Fire tour. up until 1990 they were mainly triggered "live" onstage by Edge, who was then dubbed "the Edge orchestra". check it here: [www.youtube.com]

from 1992 to 1998, ZooTv and Popmart tours, they used a lot of electronics, mainly supplemented offstage by their then keyboard tech (Des Broadbery).

since 2000 they have a real keboard player, Terry Lawless, who is (IMHO) comically placed under the stage. the ironic (?) aspect is that he is sometimes name-checked onstage by Bono, and sometimes, at least on their most recent tour (360tour, 2009>2011) even shot on the video screens...
on a couple of times on the Vertigo tour, 2005/2006, he was brought onstage to perform piano on one song.

for their upcoming tour, starting in May, they are rumored to be employing a mini.orchestra/string section, placed onstage. we'll see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-27 12:44 by superglen.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 27, 2015 14:56

In the days when Rain Fall Down was part of their live set, there was speculation here about whether the "ringing " guitar that starts the song was played live (and if so, who by?) Or sampled? Or a special key on Chuck's keyboard? No conclusion was reached.

Date: March 27, 2015 15:02

Green Lady
In the days when Rain Fall Down was part of their live set, there was speculation here about whether the "ringing " guitar that starts the song was played live (and if so, who by?) Or sampled? Or a special key on Chuck's keyboard? No conclusion was reached.

It was Mick.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: March 27, 2015 17:18

Regarding Terry Lawless playing keyboard(s) for U2 under the stage: As far as I know they offered him to be on stage, but prefers not to be. He prefers to stay in the background or, in this case, the underground.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 27, 2015 17:29

Papo
Regarding Terry Lawless playing keyboard(s) for U2 under the stage: As far as I know they offered him to be on stage, but prefers not to be. He prefers to stay in the background or, in this case, the underground.

I guess if you really want to find out if this is true you can text or call him. If you go to his web site, his cell phone is published (not my business to put it here).

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 27, 2015 17:37

Gene is full of shit as usual. KISS absolutely uses canned backing tracks and triggers.

Not to mention that he's 100% wrong about AC/DC...they used canned backing vocal tracks for some, if not all, of their songs. Listen to Thunderstruck from Live at River Plate. The backing vocals are being piped in right off the studio version.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 27, 2015 18:00

Papo

Give me a break.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: March 27, 2015 19:06

I've been in touch with Terry before, but regarding a recording of Sonny Rollins' "St. Thomas".

Anyway, some friends did an Interview with him a few years ago in which he explained why he doesn't want to be on stage during the show. He really prefers it that way, believe me.

@Kurt: Wtf?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 27, 2015 19:51

Don't shoot the messenger. Gene is right. I guess it started with the Steel Wheels Tour. Visible (and audible) on songs like Bitch,
Undercover of the Night and Honky Tonk Women. Click-tracks, drum loops, samples - you name it.

Date: March 27, 2015 19:57

Papo
I've been in touch with Terry before, but regarding a recording of Sonny Rollins' "St. Thomas".

Anyway, some friends did an Interview with him a few years ago in which he explained why he doesn't want to be on stage during the show. He really prefers it that way, believe me.

Must be U2 derangement syndrome once again rearing its ugly head on IORR. Those guys can't do anything right according to most of the posters here.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 27, 2015 20:16

Stones are as close to real as an arena band can be. None of the other bands listed have the balls our boys have. It is marvelous and inspiring.. This has not always been true and Simmons is thinking about the 80's or 90's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-27 20:20 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 27, 2015 20:23

keefriff99
Papo

Must be U2 derangement syndrome once again rearing its ugly head on IORR. Those guys can't do anything right according to most of the posters here.

I've seen U2 plenty of times live...
Do I suffer from U2 derangement syndrome???
I've never thought about my feelings for them as an ailment.
Hmmmmm...
confused smiley
Perhaps!

Admittedly, I absolutely DESPISE their model of selling tickets.
Man, those guys collect and hold their fans' money for months and months and months and months and months before they deliver a live performance. I grew tired of that years ago.

BUT,

I will never understand the concept of "hidden" players behind, above or beneath a concert stage. I didn't like it when the Stones did it and I really don't like it when U2 does it.

Papo, if you say Terry is cool with it, who am I to contest that. Perhaps he is.
But really, I have a hell of a hard time believing that it is "his choice".
Sorry.
smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-27 21:01 by Kurt.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 27, 2015 20:36

sour grapes gene .

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 27, 2015 21:06

keefriff99
Gene is full of shit as usual. KISS absolutely uses canned backing tracks and triggers.

Not to mention that he's 100% wrong about AC/DC...they used canned backing vocal tracks for some, if not all, of their songs. Listen to Thunderstruck from Live at River Plate. The backing vocals are being piped in right off the studio version.

Hey Keefriff, I wonder if the backing vocals were just added to the DVD afterwards. I've seen AC/DC in concert a number of times and the background vocals don't sound that great live.
I will note, though, that they do use canned sound when the Hells Bell descends!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 27, 2015 21:16

Simmons should use a real bass player on stage.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 27, 2015 22:24

Doxa
Simmons is not totally wrong. He mentions "samples on drums" as an example, and it is probably "Sympathy For The Devil" on target there.

Anyway, is that really such a big deal to call them "dishonest"? He is just making noise, and is promoting his own band...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Let´s all not forget that Mr. Simmons has two clones behind masks,
who pretend to be Peter Criss and Ace Frehley.
THAT is what I call a fraud!

Then:

Now:

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 27, 2015 22:28

DandelionPowderman
mtaylor
Back-up vocals from Lisa / Bernard even when they are not on stage.

Probably less now, when both Daryll and Chuck do the singing as well.

That has to do with the show/scenography, not backing tracks. They are singing live smiling smiley

Then partially the same for U2, they have the keyboard guy back or under the stage..

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 27, 2015 22:49

Steel wheels tour appear to have the most recorded music. Undercover, bitch, fake harmonica in Miss You, 2000 light years, and of course sympathy. The loop on sympathy is all I pick up on now

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 27, 2015 22:54

Bashlets
Steel wheels tour appear to have the most recorded music. Undercover, bitch, fake harmonica in Miss You, 2000 light years, and of course sympathy. The loop on sympathy is all I pick up on now

When the Matt Clifford period began....

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 27, 2015 23:58

TooTough
Doxa
Simmons is not totally wrong. He mentions "samples on drums" as an example, and it is probably "Sympathy For The Devil" on target there.

Anyway, is that really such a big deal to call them "dishonest"? He is just making noise, and is promoting his own band...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Then:

Now:

AMEN BRUTHA!!!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:45

TheGreek
sour grapes gene .

He's a media whore, but a good one. Just to get published in the same paragraph as the Stones, U2, AC/DC is a home run for him and KISS.

peace

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:46

Don't forget The Who with Quadrophenia. Alot of loops there (I love The Who).

PS - U2 is a great live band. Check out their Superbowl Halftime show. Great!! Is it not possible to love The Stones and U2?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 28, 2015 00:47

Hey Paul, got your tattoo in the shot...ya, Gene's tongue's in there too...impressive to say the least.

Posted by: bigpond ()
Date: March 28, 2015 01:15

zzzzzzz

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 28, 2015 02:31

bigpond
zzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: March 28, 2015 02:35

Dishonest...Come On Gene, You dont even show your face !!! You hide behind a mask and play S@%T music.
Beside that I would say about 99.999% of live shows have backing tracks in one form or another...

Date: March 28, 2015 04:06

DGA35
keefriff99

Hey Keefriff, I wonder if the backing vocals were just added to the DVD afterwards. I've seen AC/DC in concert a number of times and the background vocals don't sound that great live.
I will note, though, that they do use canned sound when the Hells Bell descends!
You know, I was thinking exactly the same thing...maybe Malcolm and Cliff's live backing vocals were so dire that they decided to just overdub the backing vocals from the studio version to save time.

Malcolm and Cliff's voices must be pretty shot from decades of smoking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 04:07 by keefriff99.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 28, 2015 04:36

keefriff99

Malcolm and Cliff's voices must be pretty shot from decades of smoking.

Naw, it just kills their lungs, adds character to their voices. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 28, 2015 05:21

More Hot Rocks
bigpond
zzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Good night!!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 28, 2015 07:39

TooTough

Yeah but it's no secret. He's actually very honest about the business, his band and himself.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home