Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Rolling Stones Albums, Ranked Worst to Best (Ultimate Classic Rock)
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 1, 2017 13:32

DandelionPowderman
I had a listen to Voodoo Lounge (the vinyl edition) all the way through the other day.

I must say that this album is severely underrated by fans on here, including myself. It's much better than we give them credit for.

I had an enjoyable revisit. Felt like checking up on an old friend thumbs up

I did the same some time ago, and me too found the album not as bad as I remembered it!

C

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 1, 2017 13:36

Minus New Faces, Out Of Tears, Sweethearts Together, Blinded By Rainbows & Baby Break It Down VL is a very good album, clearly better than Steel Wheels or Bridges.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 1, 2017 13:36

DandelionPowderman
I had a listen to Voodoo Lounge (the vinyl edition) all the way through the other day.

I must say that this album is severely underrated by fans on here, including myself. It's much better than we give them credit for.

It's not bad listening to it, just like Steel Wheels is not bad listening to it. That's why I put those higher than DW or TSMR(50%), which are terrible. But then again, they are mainly bland, which in some respect you might say is even worse. It's elevator rock...

Take VL:

Love Is Strong --> the one really good song
You Got Me Rocking --> average (but great live)
Sparks Will Fly --> nothing special
The Worst --> nothing special
New Faces --> who cares?
Moon Is Up --> irrelevant
Out of Tears --> no comment
I Go Wild --> Stones by numbers
Brand New Car --> stupid
Sweethearts Together --> cute, if you like that kinda thing (I actually do)
Suck on the Jugular --> bad
Blinded by Rainbows --> not very good
Baby Break It Down --> good
Thru and Thru --> interesting but not really very enjoyable
Mean Disposition --> ok, I guess

By any other band, it would be a very promising album, but Stones is not supposed to be any other band.

Date: March 1, 2017 13:41

matxil
DandelionPowderman

It's not bad listening to it, just like Steel Wheels is not bad listening to it. That's why I put those higher than DW or TSMR(50%), which are terrible. But then again, they are mainly bland, which in some respect you might say is even worse. It's elevator rock...

Take VL:

Love Is Strong --> the one really good song
You Got Me Rocking --> average (but great live)
Sparks Will Fly --> nothing special
The Worst --> nothing special
New Faces --> who cares?
Moon Is Up --> irrelevant
Out of Tears --> no comment
I Go Wild --> Stones by numbers
Brand New Car --> stupid
Sweethearts Together --> cute, if you like that kinda thing (I actually do)
Suck on the Jugular --> bad
Blinded by Rainbows --> not very good
Baby Break It Down --> good
Thru and Thru --> interesting but not really very enjoyable
Mean Disposition --> ok, I guess

By any other band, it would be a very promising album, but Stones is not supposed to be any other band.

Those three tracks are gems, imo.

I really love Mean Disposition (not included on the vinyl, unfortunately).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-01 13:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 1, 2017 13:48

I like Moon Is Up & Brand New Car very much. Mean Disposition is one of the album´s true highlights, Sparks is enjoyable. I Go Wild is a bit too much "in the face". But it´s mostly the ballads that turn me off.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: March 1, 2017 15:06

Mean Disposition is ok but somewhat of a lame try to revive what they did in the 60's. Blinded By Rainbows and Suck on the Jugular are pedestrian but all the other songs on VL are truly great. Easily among their 10 best albums.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2017 08:51

Moonshine
jcstone47
I agree with most. The essentials are always on top and I am glad to see so many ranked Exile there. We all agree those early years were magic. I wasn't born yet and it's my favorite bit of Stones era. I just really can't imagine ANYONE ranking Bridges so low. Second from bottom? Really?

Agree, Bridges is underrated by most on here when imo it's their best since Undercover. Regards Dirty Work, we all love the Stones and there's plenty to love on at least half the tracks. One thing's for sure, there are no bad Rolling Stones albums.

unfortunately that's not 'for sure'

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 2, 2017 09:40

matxil
DandelionPowderman

Take VL:

Love Is Strong --> the one really good song good nothing special, kind of a drag
You Got Me Rocking --> average (but great live) yeh, agree; wel not Great live but servicable; cookie cutter zzzzzzz
Sparks Will Fly --> nothing special agree...kinda sucks really; sharp in it's way but duz nada 4 me, nope thumbs down
The Worst --> nothing special really spectacular!
New Faces --> who cares? great, super, beautiful, wonderul
Moon Is Up --> irrelevant great, super, beautiful
Out of Tears --> no comment bit of a load, but i love it, go figure?
I Go Wild --> Stones by numbers stone by numbers; love it!! "...alcoholic @#$%& like knives?" go for it Mick!!
Brand New Car --> stupid super great, super blues number; lots of tude and class, lazy loping wonderul
Sweethearts Together --> cute, if you like that kinda thing (I actually do) yeh me too,good one!
Suck on the Jugular --> bad bad
Blinded by Rainbows --> not very good super duper really sweet; really good; like it a lot; middle of the road but i like it
Baby Break It Down --> good yep good one, real good one
Thru and Thru --> interesting but not really very enjoyable not for me; tedious
Mean Disposition --> ok, I guess ok i guess or a little less

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-02 09:48 by hopkins.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 3, 2017 01:45

HMS
GasLightStreet
Updated Best To Worst:

Sticky Fingers
Let It Bleed
Tattoo You
Exile On Main Street
Beggars Banquet
Goats Head Soup
Some Girls
Undercover
Blue And Lonesome
Aftermath
Out Of Our Heads
Black And Blue
December's Children (And Everybody's)
Emotional Rescue
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
Between The Buttons
A Bigger Bang
The Rolling Stones, Now! - The Rolling Stones No. 2
Bridges To Babylon
The Rolling Stones/England's Newest Hit Makers
Steel Wheels
12X5
Voodoo Lounge
Their Satanic Majesties Request

There´s one album missing in your list.

Not applicable.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 3, 2017 15:14

There seems to be a lot of competition for the worst; dohh
i'm not sure if it's bridges or steel wheels; it kind of couldn't get worse than that for me. I saw them in '89 not knowing it was saying good bye to Bill, but I never saw them again after that and left early. It's not my scene the stadium thing; I've had my fun and am lucky and blessed to have had it. I never write them off though. ALl kinds of stuff on VL and a few on ABB I love. Love D&G and One More Shot. I'm pretty much in the 64 to 74 category very much mostly, and that's an overwhelming treasure trove...just up to 72 is amazing; not a one of them would rate lower than anything that came after tho I liked a lot of the 70's stuff into the 80's a lot...everything all the way up to DW, which I don't think is the worst, which is sorta of a sad thing to say. But DW was the first one to give me real pause about the whole thing, something I just grew up never to somehow expect...from 12 to mid thirties in my life. So they'd more than given me enough even before sticky which is one of my all time favorites...so that's huge when i think about it. I can't juggle the whole two dozen of them into a coherent count down list. WHen something gets completely aced like Rt. 66 it almost makes any kind of further judgement irrelevant for me. that side is getting played over and over and over again forever...and has been...
I approached December's Children as if it were new a few weeks ago and it blows my mind as much as it did before I could shave or have a real girlfriend.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 3, 2017 22:06

my favourites are the top 4, beggars banquet, let it bleed, sticky and exile like most people, beggars banquet probably shades it though, after the top 4 its difficult to put albums in order, as although i like a lot of the pre 1966 stuff, the albums most of these songs fall in are full of filler too.

then i find it hard to place

its only rock and roll
goats head soup
undercover
some girls
satanic majesties
between the buttons
aftermath
tattoo you

i find myself changing order with these albums depending on mood.

so its hard to choose which order they fall in.

after that its

voodoo lounge
bridges to babylon
a bigger bang
black and blue
steal wheels

again i find it hard to choose but these albums are weaker with some good songs.

then comes emotional rescue

and finally dirtywork.

even with weaker albums which are usually dragged down by some clunkers, great and good songs still exist.

just think how many classic albums the stones would have made if they hadnt released these clunkers and filler and combined the good stuff on 2 albums to make 1, instead.

and that dosent include the unreleased outtakes and whatever else is in the vaults.

nobody can touch the stones output.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home