Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The Replacements Announce U.S. Tour, First Since 1991
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 11, 2015 02:17

The Replacements got back together for a few shows in 2013 but this is their first official tour since they played their last gig July 4, 1991. Any of you here fans?

The Replacements Tour Dates:

April
9 – Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theatre
10 – Portland, OR @ Crystal Ballroom
13 – San Francisco, CA @ The Masonic
16 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Palladium
19 – Denver, CO @ The Fillmore
29 – Chicago, IL @ The Riviera Theatre
30 – Chicago, IL @ The Riviera Theatre

May
2 – Milwaukee, WI @ Eagles Ballroom
3 – Detroit, MI @ The Fillmore
5 – Pittsburgh, PA @ Stage AE
6 – Columbus, OH @ LC Pavilion
8 – Washington DC @ Echostage
9 – Philadelphia, PA @ Festival Pier
28 – Barcelona, Spain @ Primavera Sound Festival
30 – Amsterdam, The Netherlands @ Paradiso

June
2 – London, UK @ Roundhouse

Maybe Keith kicked them in the ass and said get back out there.....

Re: OT: The Replacements Announce U.S. Tour, First Since 1991
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 11, 2015 02:41

Yes! I had just bought tickets online for the London Roundhouse show, and three days later they announce this tour starting right here in Seattle.

I can't hardly wait!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-11 02:43 by 71Tele.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 11, 2015 02:44

71Tele
Yes! I had just bought tickets online for the London Roundhouse show, and three days later they announce this tour starting right here in Seattle.

I can't hardly wait!

Enjoy both. They are coming to my town also and I think I should be there.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 11, 2015 03:19

mighty stork
The Replacements got back together for a few shows in 2013...

'Mats also played a handful of shows last year. That "Tonight Show" appearance (same night as KR) was a few days ahead of a NY show at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium.
_____

[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 11, 2015 03:48

Saw the Bumbershoot show and Forest Hills last year. Not a fan of festivals (shorter sets, more hassles) so I'm thrilled that they are playing some theatres. Wish Chris Mars would have joined up, but his wife told me he doesn't need the money and doesn't enjoy playimg drums anymore. Slim Dunlap has been in bad health for some time, so it's really Paul and Tommy and a couple of ringers, but still great.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: February 11, 2015 23:40

Checked today, still some tickets left for the Paradiso show in Amsterdam.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: February 12, 2015 06:29

What a GREAT 80s band. Too much fun back then!

Saw the tonight show song. Ow!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 12, 2015 07:04

I plan to see the DC show. I saw them a bunch between '86 and '91. It'll be different now they're sober. Back in the day, there was always a chance that the show would turn into a set of sh-tfaced 70s covers that they didn't know how to play completely.

OT: Due to unpopular demand...
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 14, 2015 14:00

...the Replacements have scheduled another tour. I scored tix for the first show yesterday. Can't hardly wait...!smoking smiley

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: February 14, 2015 16:04

I'm glad Tommy Stinson is getting away from the GnR thing. In the pics Tommy looks older than Paul.
So...no Mars or Dunlap either?

Date: February 14, 2015 18:24

Palace Revolution 2000
I'm glad Tommy Stinson is getting away from the GnR thing. In the pics Tommy looks older than Paul.
So...no Mars or Dunlap either?

Slim has been in poor health since suffering a stroke a couple of years ago and Chris doesn't like playing drums anymore, preferring to focus on his painting. Too bad about that.

Date: February 15, 2015 00:46

Too bad about Big brother Stinson. It took me quite a while to appreciate his contributions to earlier Mats.

To this day I can not get over Tommy Stinson doing that whole GnR thing. when I see footage of late GnR I think I am watching someone else, or that it is one huge joke he is playing on everyone.

Date: February 15, 2015 01:40

Palace Revolution 2000
Too bad about Big brother Stinson. It took me quite a while to appreciate his contributions to earlier Mats.

To this day I can not get over Tommy Stinson doing that whole GnR thing. when I see footage of late GnR I think I am watching someone else, or that it is one huge joke he is playing on everyone.

What makes you think it isn't?winking smiley

(Mostly) OT: The Replacements
Date: April 10, 2015 09:53

Just back from the first show of the tour (Seattle). The warm-up songs before the band came out were the Stones' Wild Horses and Love In Vain (LIB version). The 'Mats played with a frenzy. Amazing show. They covered all the bases from the their first record to their last. Got to meet them all backstage after soundcheck. All you guitar players: Paul told me Alex Chilton was in open A.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-10 09:55 by 71Tele.

Re: (Mostly) OT: The Replacements
Date: April 10, 2015 09:56

Very cool, Tele! thumbs up

Date: April 11, 2015 13:15

The Seattle show was fantastic. We had to leave slightly early due to an early flight & I had to be at work at 5 but only missed a few songs. 20th Century Boy totally rocked. I hope they record again. An earlier post mentioned Slim Dunlap & Chris Mars. Chris is a successful artist & didn't want to play drums anymore. Slim Dunlap is a sad story. He is incapacitated by a stroke (or strokes). I read an interview with Paul that said he can't even really talk. His condition was the impetus for the reunion. The 2 replacement Replacements (especially Josh Freese) were awesome.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 11, 2015 13:34

Isnt Tommy stinson a guns n roses menber at the moment? He is the only good member of the line up. What a shame

Date: April 11, 2015 14:03

pepganzo
Isnt Tommy stinson a guns n roses menber at the moment? He is the only good member of the line up. What a shame

I think he is still in G n R. They aren't doing anything. I remember hearing something about Axl had him under contract & wouldn't allow him to play with other bands for awhile. Looks like that has changed.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2015 19:13

crholmstrom
pepganzo

I think he is still in G n R. They aren't doing anything. I remember hearing something about Axl had him under contract & wouldn't allow him to play with other bands for awhile. Looks like that has changed.
Don't know if that was ever true. Cause all the members of New GNR, since the last 15 years have been able to go off and do their own stuff. You know, unless Axl wants to tour and then they have to cancel it lol.

Yes, Tommy is still a member and the only one thats been there the entire tenure of the new band. Unfortunately, GNR land is the bleakest its ever be and at the moment it seems like every member has either been let go or moved on to totally different stuff. Tommy being the shining example of that. I'm happy to see Axl isn't holding him up, but he'd be retarded if he was.

Posted by: kohoutek ()
Date: April 11, 2015 20:15

Tommy was definitely under contract with Axl and unable to play with anyone else back in the early 2000s at least, and I don't fault Tommy for that. Glad to see him back playing with The Mats, and I hope they add some more dates.

crholmstrom, did you enjoy The Young Fresh Fellows as openers? Paul's favorite band!

Date: April 11, 2015 20:22

Tommy is not with Axl anymore. I saw the guys backstage the first two nights. Great to have them back and see my old friends the Young Fresh Fellows. Looking forward to more shows..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-12 22:23 by 71Tele.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 12, 2015 05:25

The Replacements are cool! I recently added them on my Pandora Station.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-12 05:25 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 12, 2015 05:48

An excellent article on Paul Westerberg and The Replacements, for those interested.

[www.magnetmagazine.com]

peace

Date: April 12, 2015 12:59

kohoutek
Tommy was definitely under contract with Axl and unable to play with anyone else back in the early 2000s at least, and I don't fault Tommy for that. Glad to see him back playing with The Mats, and I hope they add some more dates.

crholmstrom, did you enjoy The Young Fresh Fellows as openers? Paul's favorite band!

The Fellows were fun. I saw about half their set. I had taken my friend to Morton's (excellent) to celebrate her bday & with traffic logistics, etc just couldn't make it to the show by 8. I saw YFF many times back in the day. Especially enjoyed "Rock & Roll Pest Control" & "Strychnine". I was at back of floor for them (front for the Mats). Is that Kurt Bloch on the 2nd guitar now? Hopefully I didn't miss "Amy Grant" early in the set but couldn't be helped. Overall it was a much needed very nice evening. My friend had never seen either band & really liked the Replacements.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 12, 2015 21:47

When I hear "The Replacements" I think of Another Girl, Another Planet by The Only Ones. What a great and iconic punk song. Very recognisable intro and a pretty exciting guitar sound. Not even the best Perry song (I mean, this is excellent but he has done better stuff) but I think this shows how underrated Perrett was as a rock vocalist. He has the same kind of singing voice as Bob Dylan... terrible voice but each line he sings is fantastic. IMO there are three bands which sum up rock music perfectly: The Doors, The Rolling Stones and The Only Ones. Especially the two last ones, actually.

Date: April 12, 2015 22:19

That is Kurt on 2nd guitar. I didn't start listening to YFF until around 2000, so I've never seen them live. I have caught Scott live in several of his other projects, though. Anyhow, here's hoping for more Mats dates since it sounds like Tommy is off Axl's payroll.

Date: April 12, 2015 22:26

Kurt has been with the Fellows since 1991 or so. Chuck left to pursue a career in real estate. I caught up with Scott after the Portland show. We used to open for the Fellows back in the day...It was great for the Mats to play "Portland" in Portland, part of a medley with Talent Show.

If you ever get a chance to hear the Shit, Shower, and Shave boot, it captures the Mats at their raucous best, opening for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. They do a great version of Around & Around.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 15, 2015 16:26

According to this article, Paul may be having a bit of a relapse:

What did Paul Westerberg do last night?

*Threw a lit cigarette at his guitarist as soon as he took the stage
*Knocked over his mic stand, which landed with a loud boom and then squealed feedback, causing a frightened-looking roadie to run out to stand it back up
*Kissed his bassist, who was trying to sing harmony, on the lips
*Ran backstage and returned carrying a 22” television, which he then heaved half-way across the stage, and said, “They wanted us to watch TV while we waited to play.” The guitarist pours some water on the debris. (Frightened roadies again appear and try to clean up the mess with a mop?)
*After a roadie handed him a new guitar, he used it to repeatedly smash the TV
*Played “Merry-Go-Round” and made my day
*Announced, “We’re not playing anymore unless we get some liquor,” then drank like half a bottle of whiskey someone handed him
*Played “Valentine” and made my day
*Attempted the worst cover of The Partridge Family’s “I Think I Love You” ever in rock history
*Threw a guitar at a roadie, who caught it with one hand
*Played “Little Mascara” and made my day
*Played the first verse of Ted Nugent’s “Cat-Scratch Fever,” then yelled “Shut up!” and the band stopped
*Began rapidly scraping the neck of his guitar against the mic stand until the mic fell off and then dropped his guitar on the floor. More scurrying roadies.
*Started singing into the mic stand while the actual mic was still on the ground
*Forgot lyrics and started laughing instead during roughly 1/2 of his songs
*Played the first verse of Bob Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone,” then yelled “Shut up!” and the band stopped
*Laid down on the floor for a while
*Tried to toss the mic into the audience at the end of “Can’t Hardly Wait,” but it got tangled and landed on the ground again; he eventually got it into the crowd, then stage-dove (he’s gotta be pushing 50). Eventually, someone handed him the mic back and he sang the rest while standing in the crowd.
*Played the first verse of The Who’s “Substitute,” then yelled “Shut your @#$%&’ mouth!” and the band stopped
*Played “Alex Chilton” and made my day
*Ran backstage and came back out with a telephone, which he smashed on the floor and then repeatedly stomped with his foot. Again, the guitarist pours water on it. The roadies don’t bother to sweep it up this time.
*Yelled, “Don’t you dare walk away!” at a couple trying to leave a VIP balcony. The house lights were immediately turned on so everyone could see the offending pair.
*Played “Left of the Dial” and made my day

[patmagazine.com]

Date: April 15, 2015 19:31

bleedingman
According to this article, Paul may be having a bit of a relapse:

What did Paul Westerberg do last night?

*Threw a lit cigarette at his guitarist as soon as he took the stage
*Knocked over his mic stand, which landed with a loud boom and then squealed feedback, causing a frightened-looking roadie to run out to stand it back up
*Kissed his bassist, who was trying to sing harmony, on the lips
*Ran backstage and returned carrying a 22” television, which he then heaved half-way across the stage, and said, “They wanted us to watch TV while we waited to play.” The guitarist pours some water on the debris. (Frightened roadies again appear and try to clean up the mess with a mop?)
*After a roadie handed him a new guitar, he used it to repeatedly smash the TV
*Played “Merry-Go-Round” and made my day
*Announced, “We’re not playing anymore unless we get some liquor,” then drank like half a bottle of whiskey someone handed him
*Played “Valentine” and made my day
*Attempted the worst cover of The Partridge Family’s “I Think I Love You” ever in rock history
*Threw a guitar at a roadie, who caught it with one hand
*Played “Little Mascara” and made my day
*Played the first verse of Ted Nugent’s “Cat-Scratch Fever,” then yelled “Shut up!” and the band stopped
*Began rapidly scraping the neck of his guitar against the mic stand until the mic fell off and then dropped his guitar on the floor. More scurrying roadies.
*Started singing into the mic stand while the actual mic was still on the ground
*Forgot lyrics and started laughing instead during roughly 1/2 of his songs
*Played the first verse of Bob Dylan’s “Like a Rolling Stone,” then yelled “Shut up!” and the band stopped
*Laid down on the floor for a while
*Tried to toss the mic into the audience at the end of “Can’t Hardly Wait,” but it got tangled and landed on the ground again; he eventually got it into the crowd, then stage-dove (he’s gotta be pushing 50). Eventually, someone handed him the mic back and he sang the rest while standing in the crowd.
*Played the first verse of The Who’s “Substitute,” then yelled “Shut your @#$%&’ mouth!” and the band stopped
*Played “Alex Chilton” and made my day
*Ran backstage and came back out with a telephone, which he smashed on the floor and then repeatedly stomped with his foot. Again, the guitarist pours water on it. The roadies don’t bother to sweep it up this time.
*Yelled, “Don’t you dare walk away!” at a couple trying to leave a VIP balcony. The house lights were immediately turned on so everyone could see the offending pair.
*Played “Left of the Dial” and made my day

[patmagazine.com]

In other words, a typical 'Mats show. Paul is, I believe, 55.

Date: April 15, 2015 20:10

Sober Paul is fantastic, though a very different live performance. As entertaining as the old Mats shows were, hate to hear that Paul might really be relapsing.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home