Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Has the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World Torch been passed by the Stones?
Date: February 12, 2015 05:04

I'm betting that with their last breath, they'll simply blow out the torch...

Re: Has the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World Torch been passed by the Stones?
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 12, 2015 05:17

I don't know. But they can't cary the torch anymore. They are too old. I saw them last summer, and now I am convinced that they have carried on too long now. They can't cut it like they used to. They have to redefine their act and play smaller venues. They can't play convincing enough on big scale places anymore.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: February 12, 2015 05:22

The Stones for longer than anybody could have guessed were a really interesting important band. It's been years since they mattered however and they haven't put out a good record according to their own standards since 1981.

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: February 12, 2015 12:03

dmay
I'm reading through the thread and I come to entry where SonicDreamer notes Sonic Youth as one of the bands that demonstrated this "experimental edge and transcendent quality". Okay. What I remember of Sonic Youth is that they opened for Neil and The Horse back in the early 2000s. They and Neil came to play at the old Capital Centre in Largo, Maryland, near Washington, D.C., USA.

Sonic Youth, with their experimental edge and transcendent quality did something I have never seen an opening act do - drive most of the people already in their seats out of their seats and out onto the walkway ramps. The ramps were so packed with people it seemed you could hardly move or breathe. Sonic Youth played very loud, very distorted music, if you wanted to call it that, no apparent real melody to the songs, that was actually physically painful to listen to. Only after they left the stage did the crowd file back into the seating area.

After a bit Neil and The Horse came out and Neil opened with loud distorted guitar, but with melody associated with it. The crowd roared its approval. Neil and the band then did the rest of the show at high volume and wailing guitars as if to show Sonic Youth how it should be done. It was a great rock/rock'n'roll show depending on how you'd define it. The highlight for me was Neil doing Dylan's "Blowing In The Wind" as a heavy duty rock song.

Funny enough, a few days later talking with some friends who had attended the show unbeknownst to me, they lamented how bad Neil and the Horse were. I asked why. They wanted folkie Neil and didn't understand why Neil and the band did the loud screaming guitars thing. I remember looking at them and simply saying, "If you're going to see Neil, you either go with the flow of what he's doing, or you ain't gonna get it at all." This sentiment held true a few years later when Neil and the Horse did the "Greendale" tour. Many folks didn't get it. I loved it. It was Neil doing rock/opera/theater.

Anyway, I digress. What I wanted to post is a simple question: Does anyone know who out there these days can be considered the new Beatles/Stones/Zep/U2/Clash/Kinks/Who/Joni/Neil Y/Floyd/Chuck B/Allmans/Dylan/Stevie W/M Gaye/Hank W/Jimi/Aretha/Miles D and whom else? For my aging and faltering boomer ears, who is out there that can fire up my - and many others - interest in music? Is there some band somewhere playing in their own version of the Cavern Club ready to blow us all away given the opportunity? Inquiring minds want to know.

Don't worry sir! Like I said...rock and roll will never die....and about every ten years a true superstar emerges. The last one...imho...was Amy Whinehouse..her music deeply fueled on soul blues jazz reaggea ect...all the good stuff.

Just takes a fearless talented, preferably psychologically damaged individual with no other interest or better said drive then to make music, just to ease the pain and enhance the joy of life!

Oh, ansd they have to have a special BIG heart...now, this is rare. Rare enough for one person, imagine having a group of them come together.

Real rock and roll isn't dead and it never will be, because it's so rare and precious. A band as great as the stones WILL pop up...they'll sound completely different, but they will be just as great.

You can't stop this thing. Anyway, there are only two kinds of music...good and bad. I for one like me a bit of good scratching, or hip hop or whatever.

all you need is an artist who needs to get himself off on his own music, because he needs that to survive.

@#$%& whining babyboomer music snobs make me sick!

There shitloads out there...go find it you lazyass bore. (24FPS!) wtf that stand for? fkkn poopie shit?

Posted by: MGetzner ()
Date: February 12, 2015 12:38

mudbone
dmay

Anyway, I digress. What I wanted to post is a simple question: Does anyone know who out there these days can be considered the new Beatles/Stones/Zep/U2/Clash/Kinks/Who/Joni/Neil Y/Floyd/Chuck B/Allmans/Dylan/Stevie W/M Gaye/Hank W/Jimi/Aretha/Miles D and whom else? For my aging and faltering boomer ears, who is out there that can fire up my - and many others - interest in music? Is there some band somewhere playing in their own version of the Cavern Club ready to blow us all away given the opportunity? Inquiring minds want to know.

Just takes a fearless talented, preferably psychologically damaged individual with no other interest or better said drive then to make music, just to ease the pain and enhance the joy of life!

Oh, ansd they have to have a special BIG heart...now, this is rare. Rare enough for one person, imagine having a group of them come together.

Real rock and roll isn't dead and it never will be, because it's so rare and precious. A band as great as the stones WILL pop up...they'll sound completely different, but they will be just as great.

I keep asking the questions of mudbone to myself: I'm listening to all this current music - but haven't discovered yet these new talents to take over the torch - any suggestions?

Date: February 12, 2015 12:42

<Has the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World Torch been passed by the Stones?>

Have they retired? No.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 13, 2015 00:24

"@#$%& whining babyboomer music snobs make me sick! There shitloads out there...go find it you lazyass bore."

Interesting comments from Mudbone. I don't mind being dissed. But I sure ain't no music snob. I will listen to anything at least once. If it's good and interesting I'll explore what else the performer/artist has done. Otherwise, my lazy butt will move on to find and listen to something else. It's why I subscribe to Sirius/XM satellite radio. There's a wide selection of channels and music genres to explore.

My point above was that there are few if any replacements for the pioneers who helped usher in the era of blues/hillbilly/rock/pop/folk/soul music/jazz/etc. The replacements are out there, but they're not what the current music industry is promoting. Hell, if the music industry cared about putting out quality product and promoting real talent, Los Lobos, Michael Grimm, Gillian Welch and Lucinda Williams, among many others, would be some of the biggest successes in the business.

A quote from an article on Joni Mitchell echoes my point: "“Somewhere after 2007, around that time, I think,” she says she heard, on the radio, a record executive “saying quite confidently, ‘We’re no longer looking for talent. We’re looking for a look and a willingness to cooperate.’ ” The comment crystallized so much for her that she repeats it every chance she gets."

Interesting article. Here's the link if you want to read it all. Scroll down to find Joni.

[nymag.com]

Date: February 13, 2015 00:29

Lots of great music out there, but the torch has not been passed.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 13, 2015 00:43

Gene Simmons' had the torch since the seventies... The only reason he still has it, is that no one has ever wanted to pay what he wants for it.... smoking smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 13, 2015 01:19

There is a related question. Do kids still get together and try to make garage rock'n'roll bands? Do they still try to learn to play Honky Tonk Woman? Do they still try to learn to play Jumping Jack Flash? Perhaps learning to play the Stones is not a right of passing for garage bands if they still exist?

It would make me very sad if that era is over and instead they sit at their computers to make music.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 13, 2015 05:00

mudbone

There shitloads out there...go find it you lazyass bore. (24FPS!) wtf that stand for? fkkn poopie shit?

24FPS stands for 24 Frames Per Second, which is standard film measurement for the approximation of life speed. Animation had traditionally been drawn as 24FPS. As for your name, is that where you like the bone stuck?smileys with beer

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: February 13, 2015 08:54

The title of "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World" is really a subjective and personal choice. To some it's the Stones no matter what. But ask any number of others their choice and you are likely to get a variety of answers. Whatever moves you is what really matters, in my view at least.

Date: February 13, 2015 13:30

dmay
"@#$%& whining babyboomer music snobs make me sick! There shitloads out there...go find it you lazyass bore."

Interesting comments from Mudbone. I don't mind being dissed. But I sure ain't no music snob. I will listen to anything at least once. If it's good and interesting I'll explore what else the performer/artist has done. Otherwise, my lazy butt will move on to find and listen to something else. It's why I subscribe to Sirius/XM satellite radio. There's a wide selection of channels and music genres to explore.

My point above was that there are few if any replacements for the pioneers who helped usher in the era of blues/hillbilly/rock/pop/folk/soul music/jazz/etc. The replacements are out there, but they're not what the current music industry is promoting. Hell, if the music industry cared about putting out quality product and promoting real talent, Los Lobos, Michael Grimm, Gillian Welch and Lucinda Williams, among many others, would be some of the biggest successes in the business.

A quote from an article on Joni Mitchell echoes my point: "“Somewhere after 2007, around that time, I think,” she says she heard, on the radio, a record executive “saying quite confidently, ‘We’re no longer looking for talent. We’re looking for a look and a willingness to cooperate.’ ” The comment crystallized so much for her that she repeats it every chance she gets."

Interesting article. Here's the link if you want to read it all. Scroll down to find Joni.

[nymag.com]

That's my point. It takes someone who ISN'T willing to cooperate...make no concessions at all. That's what all the greats did...at least in the beginning.
Money is a powerful drug...for the artist and obv everbody feeding of him. That's why you need to be fearless, crazy and have a big heart, so you can take the blows..and make something REAL in the process. A song shouldn't be a product, it should be a reflection of life and the artists personal emotioons and termoils so we can all recognize and be soothed...by feeling the realness.

That is for example what the stones are...REAL! The realest rnr group out there. I mean...they are realing and rocking. Anyway, I love these meta discussions about music, or anything. But..words are cheap! yap yap smiling smiley

Date: February 13, 2015 17:27

24FPS
mudbone

24FPS stands for 24 Frames Per Second, which is standard film measurement for the approximation of life speed. Animation had traditionally been drawn as 24FPS. As for your name, is that where you like the bone stuck?smileys with beer

any bone sticking is good sticking smileys with beer ..had a grumpy moment, keyboard warrior that I am..

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 13, 2015 17:36

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 13, 2015 18:03

dmay
I'm reading through the thread and I come to entry where SonicDreamer notes Sonic Youth as one of the bands that demonstrated this "experimental edge and transcendent quality". Okay. What I remember of Sonic Youth is that they opened for Neil and The Horse back in the early 2000s. They and Neil came to play at the old Capital Centre in Largo, Maryland, near Washington, D.C., USA.

Sonic Youth, with their experimental edge and transcendent quality did something I have never seen an opening act do - drive most of the people already in their seats out of their seats and out onto the walkway ramps. The ramps were so packed with people it seemed you could hardly move or breathe. Sonic Youth played very loud, very distorted music, if you wanted to call it that, no apparent real melody to the songs, that was actually physically painful to listen to. Only after they left the stage did the crowd file back into the seating area.

After a bit Neil and The Horse came out and Neil opened with loud distorted guitar, but with melody associated with it. The crowd roared its approval. Neil and the band then did the rest of the show at high volume and wailing guitars as if to show Sonic Youth how it should be done. It was a great rock/rock'n'roll show depending on how you'd define it. The highlight for me was Neil doing Dylan's "Blowing In The Wind" as a heavy duty rock song.

Funny enough, a few days later talking with some friends who had attended the show unbeknownst to me, they lamented how bad Neil and the Horse were. I asked why. They wanted folkie Neil and didn't understand why Neil and the band did the loud screaming guitars thing. I remember looking at them and simply saying, "If you're going to see Neil, you either go with the flow of what he's doing, or you ain't gonna get it at all." This sentiment held true a few years later when Neil and the Horse did the "Greendale" tour. Many folks didn't get it. I loved it. It was Neil doing rock/opera/theater.

I attended this show. I don't remember people leaving during the Youth set because I was enthralled by them. It WS right after Goo came out. For those on the concourse, your loss. Social D was also on that bill. It was distortion rock heaven!

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 13, 2015 18:08

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 13, 2015 18:17

Social D was also on that bill. It was distortion rock heaven!

Rock's little secret.

They play small venues when headlining at $30 to $40 a ticket and they are among the best bands out there smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2015 18:54

Blueranger
I don't know. But they can't cary the torch anymore. They are too old. I saw them last summer, and now I am convinced that they have carried on too long now. They can't cut it like they used to. They have to redefine their act and play smaller venues. They can't play convincing enough on big scale places anymore.

There never was a torch.

However, Keith could do something else...

Date: February 13, 2015 18:57

Stones62
The title of "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World" is really a subjective and personal choice. To some it's the Stones no matter what. But ask any number of others their choice and you are likely to get a variety of answers. Whatever moves you is what really matters, in my view at least.

And just think, before Sam Cutler opened his mouth and blurted that out it was never said. Now it's some kind of goofy turd shining trophy belt some fans use for describing The Rolling Stones. It was funny a long time ago but, really, that's like that idiot saying he was the King Of Pop. It's just silly.

It's completely subjective, which means it's completely moot.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: February 13, 2015 19:00

You should have been at Stockholm July 1st last year - ha, the Stones are (AND STILL ARE WITHOUT ANY DOUBT) the greatest band on Earth...

"till the next time..."

Star

Date: February 13, 2015 19:02

Ohhhhkayyyyyy.

Posted by: MickRichards ()
Date: February 13, 2015 19:21

The tag Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the world will never be passed on to anyone else. It's where it belongs and it will die with them. They earned that title while playing in an era that was saturated with great R&R bands. And they kept the great basic R&R alive long after a lot of them fell by the wayside. I don't see a band out there today that has the street cred that the Stones have. The torch will never be passed.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 13, 2015 19:33

MickRichards
The tag Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the world will never be passed on to anyone else. It's where it belongs and it will die with them. They earned that title while playing in an era that was saturated with great R&R bands. And they kept the great basic R&R alive long after a lot of them fell by the wayside. I don't see a band out there today that has the street cred that the Stones have. The torch will never be passed.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 13, 2015 19:49

like keith said,"its a different band every night that is the greatest rock and roll band in the world"

thing is-its been the rolling stones more nights than anyone else.

the rolling stones are the worlds greatest rock and roll band-you may take the title for a night or a week... maybe even a month but it always comes back to the stones.

there are bands who put out great records,there are bands who did great shows and tours but when you add the two together- record+tours you always end up in the same place.
not led zeppelin or the beatles or pink floyd.they were all outworked and outlasted.and no,its not some goofy title,its like elvis being the king of rock and roll.the stones put cutler saying that on the record for a reason,it was a declaration.
they've lost the title and gained it back a few times but when they're done and the smoke clears the title will stick-forever.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 13, 2015 19:56

there's a torch?

Date: February 13, 2015 20:38

Natlanta
there's a torch?

of course,you didnt know? its a bit bigger than the olympic torch and says "the worlds greatest rock and roll band" on one side-the problem is people keep trying to ignore that giant tongue logo on the other side.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 13, 2015 20:42

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I'm betting that with their last breath, they'll simply blow out the torch...

This is how it´s gonna be! Fantastic metaphor! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-13 20:42 by TooTough.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 13, 2015 21:36

The problem now is that the current Stones have to compete with their storied past. They are this close to being able to walk off stage and have professionals play ersatz Stones music, except you'd have to keep Jagger. Watched Hampton '81 last night, with five Stones, Stu, Ian, and Ernie Watts on sax. No backup singers, harmonies by Keith. Sloppy guitars corralled by Bill's rubbery bass lines. Heaven.

Date: February 14, 2015 01:47

24FPS
The problem now is that the current Stones have to compete with their storied past. They are this close to being able to walk off stage and have professionals play ersatz Stones music, except you'd have to keep Jagger. Watched Hampton '81 last night, with five Stones, Stu, Ian, and Ernie Watts on sax. No backup singers, harmonies by Keith. Sloppy guitars corralled by Bill's rubbery bass lines. Heaven.

yeah,true. but they were competing with their storied past then too.they were great then and they're great now.you just have alot of "classic rock " fans here because the band has gone on so long while most others have long disappeared.so we have to listen to the lost children of the beatles and led zeppelin yap on endlessly. i like ac/dc but ...you cant be fckn serious.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home