Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones keyboard curse?
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 9, 2015 08:44

I was watching both Mac and Stu in the 81 Hampton video and was struck how hard that particular position is on musicians. Three stellar stones keyboard players
Are now deceased: Stu, Nicky and Mac. Now some may ask "what's taking so long for
Chuck" - but I'm not in that category. I hope Chuck beats the curse.

Re: Stones keyboard curse?
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 9, 2015 08:49

Billy Preston too?? I've taken an interest in Billy Preston, I like that song "Nothing from Nothing", I even put a verse in my signature but I guess it was not recognized, "

"Remember I told Ya, I'm a soldier in the war on poverty", well, I know Billy Preston has been consider an unofficial Rolling Stone before.

I saw a Youtube video of a very young Billy Preston, 9 years old or so and he was the piano-player for Nat King Cole doing "Blueberry Hill." Then, Billy Preston also had an instrumental album way back in his teens as well. Quite talented. Tragic. Again. [worldbiography.net]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 9, 2015 09:02

Their reluctance, laziness, whatever, to seek out new, interesting keyboard players has hurt their sound since at least the mid-80s. They haven't had an appropriate sounding, serious pianist in a long, long time. Chuck has provided the odd boogie woogie on a couple studio cuts, but his sensibility is simply wrong for the band.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 9, 2015 09:18

Yes, please don't forget Preston. I've been relistening/revisiting his That's The Way God Planned It record. That's a great song and album.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 9, 2015 09:48

Not a good job to have in a band. Look at the Grateful Dead.

Date: February 9, 2015 11:24

24FPS
Their reluctance, laziness, whatever, to seek out new, interesting keyboard players has hurt their sound since at least the mid-80s. They haven't had an appropriate sounding, serious pianist in a long, long time. Chuck has provided the odd boogie woogie on a couple studio cuts, but his sensibility is simply wrong for the band.

On B2B they didn't use Chuck...

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 9, 2015 12:14

and Jack Nitzsche as well, died in 2000

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 9, 2015 17:11

I was watching both Mac and Stu in the 81 Hampton video and was struck how hard that particular position is on musicians.

OK, I'll take the bait...how exactly is it 'hard' on a musician, as compared to any other instrument, drums for example?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 9, 2015 17:26

<<how exactly is it 'hard' on a musician, as compared to any other instrument, drums for example?>>

Yeah, no kidding. Those keyboard guys even get to sit down all the time. Is it hard on them because they don't get a comfy chair or something?

Date: February 9, 2015 17:40

No position is hard on musicians. That's what she said, anyway...

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: February 9, 2015 18:18

Ket
and Jack Nitzsche as well, died in 2000

It is a crime how unrecognized this self made man is. Self made like his good buddy/associate/partner in crime/LA pop pioneer Sonny Bono

Jack Nitzsche helped make The Stones at a crucial time when they were recording in LA. Oh, to be a fly on the wall at those sessions and afterwards as they went out socializing in the LA scene. What a time!

Date: February 9, 2015 19:52

treaclefingers
I was watching both Mac and Stu in the 81 Hampton video and was struck how hard that particular position is on musicians.

OK, I'll take the bait...how exactly is it 'hard' on a musician, as compared to any other instrument, drums for example?

"Hard" not in the physical sense but in the lifespan sense. I had completely
Overlooked Billy Preston and Jack N. so this brings the curse total to five.
Chuck might want to schedule a medical check-up.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 9, 2015 20:15

I don't think there's a curse. That is superstitious and rather ridiculous. All those great players died for reasons that have little to do with black magic. Yes it's rather sad and tragic that some when before they should have, but seeing this as a curse related to the Stones? I guess you believe Anita had something to do with it too? What's next a Beatles guitarist curse thread? eye rolling smiley peace

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 9, 2015 20:26

If I have this correctly, sadly, Nicky Hopkins was always a sickly lad and played with the Jeff Beck group, Jefferson Airplane and I'm sure a number of others.

Peace Out

Date: February 9, 2015 22:00

Naturalust
I don't think there's a curse. That is superstitious and rather ridiculous. All those great players died for reasons that have little to do with black magic. Yes it's rather sad and tragic that some when before they should have, but seeing this as a curse related to the Stones? I guess you believe Anita had something to do with it too? What's next a Beatles guitarist curse thread? eye rolling smiley peace

Sorry, I was joking with the curse thing. Coincidence yes, curse no. I mistakenly
Assumed the reader would recognize this.

Date: February 9, 2015 22:07

swimtothemoon
Naturalust

Sorry, I was joking with the curse thing. Coincidence yes, curse no. I mistakenly
Assumed the reader would recognize this.

No worries, my mistake then, probably just that death is kind of hard to pull off in a joking manner, especially so soon after Mac's. peace

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 10, 2015 00:57

Also have The Curse of 27 : [www.nerdygaga.com]

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: February 10, 2015 04:15

Jim Dickinson has passed on, but Leon Russell lives.

Keys in the Dead was definitely like the drum chair in Spinal Tap.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 10, 2015 05:21

They really attracted the cream of the crop keyboard players. Even the mighty Beatles only had Preston and Martin as outside players. I guess you could say keyboards became a minor thought to them after Stu died. They never again had, or found, any one memorable. Same with bass. Darryl took the job, and they seemed never to listen again and figure they needed a new direction. Which has led to three mostly mediocre albums. The disrespect they show for their own music is galling.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 10, 2015 06:08

Oh, brother.

Date: February 10, 2015 07:56

24FPS
They really attracted the cream of the crop keyboard players. Even the mighty Beatles only had Preston and Martin as outside players. I guess you could say keyboards became a minor thought to them after Stu died. They never again had, or found, any one memorable. Same with bass. Darryl took the job, and they seemed never to listen again and figure they needed a new direction. Which has led to three mostly mediocre albums. The disrespect they show for their own music is galling.

Don't blame the bassist and keyboard player themselves. They are doing what they're told to do, just the way Mick and Keith want. peace

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 10, 2015 10:29

I think the following also played keyboards or degrees of on the odd track:
GENE PITNEY - deceased
BRIAN JONES - deceased
PHIL SPECTOR - say no more

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: February 10, 2015 10:42

Yes the last 25-30 years have been very static. But they probobly need to have it this way nowadays. Continuity. They haven't got everydaysessions like in 60's and 70's.So it's difficult - will take a lot of time- to work with a new keyboardplayer.

The Steel Wheel-tour was the fundament for everything. For better or worse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home