Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OTish?: Morrissey on the Stones
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: February 6, 2015 18:28

Currently reading Morrissey's autobiography and thought I'd share this little excerpt of his brief encounter with Mick in 1986:

"In New York, Mick Jagger arrives backstage and extends the hand of friendship. It is a big moment for Johnny (Marr), but I, of course, am a nightmare of judgment, and it takes me years to understand the genius secret of the Rolling Stones. Dismissal can be a secret form of arrogance, and I held this proudly against the Stones until the light shifted and I caught myself being utterly wrong. The in-built censorship can also often be a substitute for not actually knowing any better, and I now agonise over my criticisms of the Stones - with blather that was anything but a true reflection of the facts. In any case, Mick Jagger only stayed for four songs into The Smiths' set, but I felt no hurt at his departure because I could, even then, understand how my general being (which we dare not term a persona) was difficult for a lot of people to take. As The Smiths' singer I consigned all of my best efforts to conviction, and all of my being went into each song"

Anyone that has read this book will know that there are only a handful of times where Morrissey admits he is wrong!

Re: OTish?: Morrissey on the Stones
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 6, 2015 18:43

I love the Smiths and like his solo stuff but as a person he's such a whiner ...however he wins a couple of points for this

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 6, 2015 20:15

I have this book at home and really look forward to digging into it at some point! Thanks for this teaser. Love it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 6, 2015 20:25

He once has sent a letter to Melody Maker stating the Ramones were rubbish. I wonder if he talks about this on his book.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 6, 2015 20:42

thumbs down

No fan of either The Smiths or Morrissey...rubbish...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 6, 2015 21:21

Come On
thumbs down

No fan of either The Smiths or Morrissey...rubbish...

eye popping smiley

Morrissey was a fantastic lyricist!

"Farewell to this land's cheerless marches
Hemmed in like a boar between arches
Her very Lowness with her head in a sling
I'm truly sorry but it sounds like a wonderful thing
I say Charles don't you ever crave
To appear on the front of the Daily Mail
Dressed in your Mother's bridal veil?

And so I checked all the registered historical facts
And I was shocked into shame to discover
How I'm the 18th pale descendent
Of some old queen or other
Oh has the world changed, or have I changed?
Oh has the world changed, or have I changed?
Some nine year old tough who peddles drugs
I swear to God, I swear I never even knew what drugs were

So I broke into the Palace
With a sponge and a rusty spanner
She said: "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
I said: "that's nothing - you should hear me play piano"
We can go for a walk where it's quiet and dry
And talk about precious things
But when you are tied to your mother's apron
No-one talks about castration

Like love and law and poverty
These are the things that kill me
But the rain that flattens my hair
These are the things that kill me

Passed the pub that saps your body
And the church who'll snatch your money
The Queen is dead, boys
And it's so lonely on a limb
Pass the pub that wrecks your body
And the church, all they want is your money
The Queen is dead, boys
And it's so lonely on a limb"

Date: February 6, 2015 21:45

About Keith Richards and Mick Jagger grinning smiley

"Oh, you silly old man
You silly old man
You're making a fool of yourself
So get off the stage

You silly old man
In your misguided trousers
With your mascara and your Fender guitar
And you think you can arouse us ?

But the song that you just sang
It sounds exactly like the last one
And the next one
I bet you it will sound
Like this one

Downstage, and offstage
Don't you feel all run in ?
And do you wonder when they will take it away ?
This is your final fling

But then applause ran high
But for the patience of the ones behind you
As a verse drags on like a month drags on
It's very short, but it seems very long

And the song that you just sang
It sounds exactly like the last one
And the next one
I bet you it will sound
Like this one

So, get off the stage
Oh, get off the stage
And when we get down off of the stage
Please stay off the stage - ALL DAY !

Get off the stage
Oh, get off the stage
And when we've had our money back
Then I'd like your back in plaster

Oh, I know that you say
How age has no meaning
Oh, but here is your audience now
And they're screaming :

"Get off the stage"
Oh, get off the stage
Because I've given you enough of my time
And the money that wasn't even mine
Have you seen yourself recently ?

Oh, get off the stage
Oh, get off the stage"

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: February 6, 2015 22:03

I think Mozza was merely stating his admittance that the lyrics he wrote back then in 1990 on the song above was way off the mark and he very much regrets them. I love Morrissey and his book is a fine read.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: February 7, 2015 04:48

Cristiano Radtke
He once has sent a letter to Melody Maker stating the Ramones were rubbish. I wonder if he talks about this on his book.

Morrissey "curated" a Ramones release for Record Store Day Black Friday this past November. Supposedly he personally picked his 17 "favorite" Ramones tracks for the record. Guess he changed his mind in the intervening years since he wrote the letter. confused smiley

Date: February 7, 2015 08:52

Yes, Morrissey was a music snob but almost all teenagers love to praise their favourite band and put down bands they hate. Take it as a joke. Morrissey was into glam rock and punk rock. He was a huge fan of The New York Dolls/Heartbreakers and he didn't get The Dolls/Ramones comparaison. That being said, The Ramones were great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-07 08:54 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 7, 2015 11:36

The Smiths were great and Morrisey is a genius and I am very happy he admits being wrong about The Stones.

Date: February 7, 2015 11:49

MadMax
The Smiths were great

Best pop band since the Beatles, imo

Their basslines were very catchy.

Date: February 7, 2015 11:57

[www.johnnymarrplaysguitar.com]

"ROLLING STONES – Confessin’ The Blues 1970
(written by Walter Brown and Jay McShann)

THE ROLLING STONES – ’19th Nervous Breakdown’ 1966

THE ROLLING STONES - Gimme Shelter"

"The main thing I took from Keith Richards was his musical ideology – that there is a nobility in playing rhythm guitar and being the engine room and steering the ship – all these very valorous concepts which he threw in the face of guitar culture in the early ’70s.

Johnny Marr (Mojo, 28 January 2009)"

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 7, 2015 21:48

Cristiano Radtke

I said the same after a ramones concert and ended up in a big arguement with some geezer.

Date: February 7, 2015 23:46

I forgot how great those songs were...

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 7, 2015 23:52

RomanCandle
I forgot how great those songs were...

All those songs are total rubbish as far as I can here. I honestly can't believe anyone can like that crap..Maybe the worst music I have ever heard and it all sounds the same.

Date: February 8, 2015 00:01

you're terrible at trolling! >grinning smiley<

Date: February 8, 2015 00:28

RomanCandle

Whos trolling. I just figure if people give their opinions on how great it is I will give me opinion and that is its the worst music I have ever heard and I am not joking.

Date: February 8, 2015 01:58

stanlove

All those songs are total rubbish as far as I can here. I honestly can't believe anyone can like that crap..Maybe the worst music I have ever heard and it all sounds the same.

Some people on this site really don't have a clue.

Date: February 8, 2015 12:43

stanlove
RomanCandle

Whos trolling. I just figure if people give their opinions on how great it is I will give me opinion and that is its the worst music I have ever heard and I am not joking.

Good for you.

stanlove Eh, I know you and you cannot sing.
Morrissey That's nothing, you should hear me play piano!

Posted by: django ()
Date: February 8, 2015 13:15

stanlove

Maybe I could live with a comment like "I don't like it" or "this is not my cup of tea" but to say that The Smiths are crap proves that you are a real music expert. I mean, they are the greatest band at least of the eighties.

Read this and shut up:

[www.theguardian.com]

listen to this and shut up again:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 8, 2015 15:00

Bastion
stanlove

stanlove knows music better than we do... anyone with ears would agree with his last sentence, here are my proofs:

those songs sound SIMILAR!!!

Date: February 8, 2015 15:10

"I honestly can't believe anyone can like that crap"

yeah, most of the musicians who worked with Morrissey, or covered his songs (david bowie, mick ronson, siouxsie sioux, J. Mascis or Built to Spill) were weak!

Posted by: django ()
Date: February 8, 2015 15:17

RomanCandle
Bastion
stanlove

stanlove knows music better than we do... anyone with ears would agree with his last sentence, here are my proofs:

those songs sound SIMILAR!!!

Good one smileys with beer

Date: February 8, 2015 18:35

django
stanlove

Maybe I could live with a comment like "I don't like it" or "this is not my cup of tea" but to say that The Smiths are crap proves that you are a real music expert. I mean, they are the greatest band at least of the eighties.

Read this and shut up:

[www.theguardian.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I like the way the people who think they are great have an opinion that is important but someone who thinks they suck shouldn't have an opinion..

Here is the way it is..The Smiths for some strange reason were big and important with the Brits. Brits have always tried to force them on everyone else.Americans as a whole thought they were crap and to me their music is the worst music I have ever heard.I am not just saying that. Its just silly goofy Culture Club music that sounds like its geared towards 10 year olds, with an annoying voice of some guy trying to be important by again singing songs that sound geared towards 10 year olds..Its awful and if you heard one song you heard them all..

As for me as a music experts I think I do pretty well with that thank you..I don't even have to like Music to admit its good but not my cup of tea..I would never listen to Pink Floyd because they are not my Cup of Tea but I have no problem with anyone saying they are a great band..I can hear the talent, just don't like to listen to..I can go right on down the line with that..I will give a list of top 20 artists that I would bet rock credits and historians would be fine with unlike many on here..

The Smiths suck....

Date: February 8, 2015 18:58

You're such a bad troll, it's embarrassing. I mean, the comparison with Culture Club was ridiculous.

Date: February 8, 2015 19:01

stanlove
django
stanlove

Read this and shut up:

[www.theguardian.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I like the way the people who think they are great have an opinion that is important but someone who thinks they suck shouldn't have an opinion..

Here is the way it is..The Smiths for some strange reason were big and important with the Brits. Brits have always tried to force them on everyone else.Americans as a whole thought they were crap and to me their music is the worst music I have ever heard.I am not just saying that. Its just silly goofy Culture Club music that sounds like its geared towards 10 year olds, with an annoying voice of some guy trying to be important by again singing songs that sound geared towards 10 year olds..Its awful and if you heard one song you heard them all..

As for me as a music experts I think I do pretty well with that thank you..I don't even have to like Music to admit its good but not my cup of tea..I would never listen to Pink Floyd because they are not my Cup of Tea but I have no problem with anyone saying they are a great band..I can hear the talent, just don't like to listen to..I can go right on down the line with that..I will give a list of top 20 artists that I would bet rock credits and historians would be fine with unlike many on here..

The Smiths suck....

Re your first sentence: That's because what you are saying isn't an opinion, it's just factually wrong.

This is the point where I try to have a serious discussions with you, but you lack common sense so I think I'll be quiet.

Date: February 8, 2015 19:02

RomanCandle
You're such a bad troll, it's embarrassing. I mean, the comparison with Culture Club was ridiculous.

If you don't think the Smith's music ( not lurics ) is not at the level of CC then I don't know what to tell you...Like I said a lot of Brits were sucked in by the Smiths, others not so much..It much be a culture thing..

I have my theory on why that is but won't get into it..

Date: February 8, 2015 19:23

When someone compares the music of The Smiths, in particular the work of Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke, to Culture Club, you know that every thing they say holds no validity.

100% that's me done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-08 19:24 by Bastion.

Date: February 8, 2015 19:32

stanlove
RomanCandle

If you don't think the Smith's music ( not lurics ) is not at the level of CC then I don't know what to tell you...Like I said a lot of Brits were sucked in by the Smiths, others not so much..It much be a culture thing..

I have my theory on why that is but won't get into it..

People who are into The Smiths are not necessarily British, but they got the point of what pop music was all about. smiling bouncing smiley

"If you don't think the Smith's music ( not lurics ) is not at the level of CC"

The Smiths are my favourite band because they were not about guitar masturbation. Marr's arpeggios were perfect. You remind me of the French rock critic "PhilMan" who doesn't like the Smiths because their music is not about loud guitars. eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home