Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Chances of recording sessions taking place right now?
Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: February 1, 2015 16:43

I wish you all a very nice sunday!

The following question keeps popping up in my head, and maybe a few of yiu know have a smiliar view: What are the chances of a new Stones album being on the way right now? Are the Stones currently working on new Songs and even doing recording already?

Three reasons how I got this idea:

1) Given that, at least to my knowledge, none of the Stones has been publicly involved in any major other activity (film promotiom, recording with others, acting duties etc.) since the end of the tour, there is a chance they could pull the core of the band together to develop ideas and do some recording. The only thing I know of, is Keith's recurring role in the new Pirate-movie in February, but that is likely to be done quite quickly.

2) As the rumours of a tour later this spring continue, we are in a gap right now, which would allow for such activity, especially as Mick and Keith have mentioned the possibily of a new record ( I know this has extensively been debated), and there were some earlier references like "we need to find the time" and so on.

3) With the 50th anniversary almost 3 years behind and the 14 on Fire-concept as a one-time name, it would make sense from a marketing point of view, having a newly recorded Stones album and touring the economically reviving US market on a new platform.

1) and 2) would make the most sense in my opinion, what do you think?

P.S. I tried to find the last Thread about the possibility of a new album but I didn't manage to, this is why I opened a new thread at all.

Re: Chances of recording sessions taking place right now?
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 1, 2015 17:06

Maybe some new recordings for the upcoming Sticky Fingers reedition?

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: February 1, 2015 18:38

How about an EP with like 6 new songs?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 1, 2015 18:56

At best we'll get an "Itunes" release with two new songs...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 1, 2015 19:28

We can have a "Doom And Gloom / One More Shot" single every six months or so with only 2-3 days on the studio, it's so easy nowadays, they can release it on Itunes, zero cost, no physical edition, no full album, only 2-4 new songs each year, but as we see THEY'RE NOT INTERESTED AT ALL.
Very sad and lazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-01 19:31 by georgelicks.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 1, 2015 19:46

They are in their 70s. I don't think they have to be interested any more . They were down to 2 albums per decade by the time they hit 50 , so I don't see it happening to be honest.

Not that I'd like to be proved wrong. I don't like their last album been the pretty dreadful ABB.

sc uk

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 1, 2015 19:55

I think we just have too much high hopes for them at this point. They're old. Thats the bottom line. Why should they even be interesting in making new music at this point? It'll be something to so few people, including themselves, that I think its only a pipe dream us pretending that maybe they actually want to record a record. They've spent the last 50 years making music. Thats about as much as anyone does, ESPECIALLY a rock band.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 1, 2015 20:23

RollingFreak
I think we just have too much high hopes for them at this point. They're old. Thats the bottom line. Why should they even be interesting in making new music at this point? It'll be something to so few people, including themselves, that I think its only a pipe dream us pretending that maybe they actually want to record a record. They've spent the last 50 years making music. Thats about as much as anyone does, ESPECIALLY a rock band.

Not wholly true.
There are plenty of examples of musicians retaining their creative spark and motivation at similar stages (and ages)in their careers.
It could be argued that (physically) its actually less arduous being in the studio than on the road, even for 14 date jollys.
I personally think its down to the Glimmers apparant inability to work together on new songs, like in the old days.
Of course the Beatles latter efforts were done when personal relationships (John/Paul, George/ Paul) were arguably much worse than the situation between the Glimmers...or so we might assume to be the case.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 1, 2015 21:08

I've given up hope (No Expectations) for any new Stones material although I am somewhat encouraged by Keith's yet unreleased record and Mick's quotes saying he is still writing all the time. Obviously those two are still capable but with Mick thinking about Legacy at this point I doubt they will risk an entire new Stones record. The risk of it flopping in today's marketplace probably outweighs the need for creative output and the risk of tarnishing the Legacy.

They are combing the vaults and re-releasing the successful records as Deluxe editions to go out on a high point with little risk of failure. But like georgelicks points out, it's highly possible we will see a couple more singles.

I'm ok with whatever they do, they don't need to prove anything to me and I'm grateful for what they've already given us. peace

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 1, 2015 21:25

Why don't they just make a great set of songs and release it free on iTunes like U2.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 1, 2015 23:26

About the same chances of this story being true:

According to a source, rumors of the Rolling Stones (Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Mick Taylor, Ronnie Wood and Darryl Jones, ed) working in recording studio are true, with as many as eight songs having been put to tape. “It’s still in the early stages,” “They got security on the doors to ensure no-one hears a whisper,” a source said. “I think it would be the best tribute ever to Brian Jones.”

World Tour To Follow New Album?

The Rolling Stones are rumoured to be planning a worldwide tour at the end of 2016....

Full circulated rumor at: [en.mediamass.net]

In other headlines, Rolling Stone also reports Mick Jagger Plans To Tour Again; New Stones Album Ready--in an article from June 1968....

Mick chats about new single and acting debut at: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 2, 2015 00:12

stonehearted
Full circulated rumor at: [en.mediamass.net]

The website “mediamass.net”
The website mediamass.net is the medium of our satire to expose with humour, exaggeration and ridicule the contemporary mass production and mass consumption that we observe

Also it will not only mock the producers (mainstream media, journalists) as it is common when questioning and criticizing mass media, but also the consumers as one cannot exist without the other. Sensationalism, lack of verification of information, ethics and standards issues are only symptoms of the actual social and economic order. This is particularly obvious when observing the role of social networking sites in spreading rumours.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: February 2, 2015 23:15

I'm gonna go with 4.25% Chance they are recording a new album.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: February 2, 2015 23:41

Wouldn't it be great if they did a cover album -- 12 for their favorite blues, rock, and country tunes?

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: February 2, 2015 23:41

What happened with the duet live album on ITunes? Not that I was looking forward to such a release, but even that has completely disappeared from the radar...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-02 23:42 by GJV.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 2, 2015 23:46

Whatever happened to yet another live album???

Date: February 3, 2015 01:10

Something is going on in NYC...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 3, 2015 01:46

A BIGGER BANG is the last Rolling Stones LP.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: February 3, 2015 01:47

I wish they would do a return to their roots type album like they did with Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed. If they can do something with a new producer and go for a country and delta blues rootsy album it would really be what they and us would really appreciate.

The second disc of Some Girls is what I want to hear more of where they mix it up with all kinds of styles but with an analog production. They need someone else to produce and challenge them one last time. That's my dream for a new album. I really wish Jimmy Miller was still alive. It would be cool if they could find a producer like that again. It's been 10 years since the last album. As if there aren't some good songs written already that they could use. It would be best also if they feature Mick Taylor prominantly. They have the talent, they just need to use it and work hard until they have 10 great songs with great lyrics, great melodies, and great guitar. If they mic'd the guitars, used a pedal steel, and did some country flavoured songs and dealt with some serious subject matter it would be a great record.

If Leonard Cohen can still write a masterpiece like Common Problems at 80 years old, then the great and mighty Rolling Stones can too.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: February 3, 2015 02:31

DandelionPowderman
Something is going on in NYC...

Aye. Hope it's more than just meetings.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 3, 2015 04:38

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: February 3, 2015 12:21

Given the first wave of replies the realist in me was alomst willing to give in, but the optimist in me was missing negative answers by some of the people who seem to be closer to the action.. winking smiley
Coupled with the reports about Ronnie & Charlie the optimist is getting stronger.. I also don't buy into the notion, that they generally don't want to do record anything anymore (for whatever reason). This is what they have done all their lives, playing music for audiences and recording music. As long as they are generally willing to sail the mighty Stones-ship, I believe they won't make a deliberate move not to record new material.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 3, 2015 12:51

I can be very pessimistic at times but I believe The Stones will make new music. Also I believe it will be much better than ABB, which wasn't bad but just over produced. They might be a little concerned about legacy, but that's not the reason or why they've reached the level they're at. It's by pushing boundries. And now is a good time for that. I say full speed ahead boys!

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: February 3, 2015 13:17

ABB overproduced? Hardly. But I agree they could still write a late great album. As has been mentioned before, it's beyond me why they dont just do smaller recording sessions and simply release digitally.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 3, 2015 14:49

Hi Lorenz, it's a matter of taste in my opinion. By over produced I mean boosting the sound with digital noise (I've seen this in a recording studio) plus extra keyboards/synthesizers where there could/should be guitars. Well, again that's my opinion. If all this was stripped away I would love most of the songs much more. I like your idea. Perhaps less time in the studio and directly releasing an album to iTunes could deflect this. Anyhow, I'm sure they're fully capable of making great music.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 3, 2015 15:07

I think it would be a great idea if they came back to the basics and started releasing singles instead of albums. They don't play more than 2 new songs live anyway so what's the point of releasing a new album with most songs played only occasionally or not at all. But if they released 2 new songs before every new leg of the tour and actually play them it would be great. The songs would of corse be available on iTunes and other digital retailers but they could also press 7' vinyls (perhaps limited picture discs as well) as a fantastic gift for hardcore fans!

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: February 3, 2015 15:08

A country album would be nice...
smoking smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 3, 2015 15:17

zero, nada , zilch, o.o

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: February 3, 2015 15:18

A tribute to their Blues roots would be great.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 3, 2015 16:27

Bluesstone
Given the first wave of replies the realist in me was alomst willing to give in, but the optimist in me was missing negative answers by some of the people who seem to be closer to the action.. winking smiley
Coupled with the reports about Ronnie & Charlie the optimist is getting stronger.. I also don't buy into the notion, that they generally don't want to do record anything anymore (for whatever reason). This is what they have done all their lives, playing music for audiences and recording music. As long as they are generally willing to sail the mighty Stones-ship, I believe they won't make a deliberate move not to record new material.

As you'll notice in the thread about Ronnie and Charlie they were leaving NY to London and someone pointed out they have an interest in art and there is some art things going on.

So... the notion of nothing happening new album wise is free. If you bought into it than you've been tricked.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home