Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT- The current Guns N Roses
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 27, 2015 00:02

Naturalust

I cringe when I think that some fools spent around $14 million on production costs alone to record Chinese Democracy. I think of all the good but hungry rock bands out there that could have used that money to record their debut releases and guess we could have had around 280 new releases using a generous $50K as the cost. Say only 5% of them were any good, that's still 14 good new records. Or use $100K and assume 10% were good, whatever.....

No wonder the record industry sucks so bad and we are stuck remembering how good it once was to be discovering great new music on every trip to the record store. I think Dallas Taylor's quote "David Geffen wouldn't know a great song if it slapped him in the face" is appropriate to repeat.

peace

Its hilarious that they (whatever they was) spent at least 12 years recording it. They could have made millions upon millions if it had been released in 2000 when you still bought music via CD

wikipedia-

A version of Chinese Democracy was completed and ready to be released in 2000; however

By the time it finally came out you had digital downloads, itunes and piracy which all kill your profits

Date: January 27, 2015 00:06

RollingFreak
The original lineup is and always will be the Appetite For Destruction lineup. Or the Live Like A Suicide lineup if you prefer. To call any of those older people part of the original lineup is just looking for details and to annoy others. Ole Beach did nothing. Traci did nothing to further those songs. Those songs are from either Axl before the band happened or because of that Appetite band. Waste of time arguing anything different.

The original lineup of the Stones is not Dick Taylor. Its the 5 guys on the first record.

If pointing out that members of the original lineup did write some of their big hits and gave the band its name is splitting hairs, then I'm guilty.

Dick Taylor didn't write Ruby Tuesday. Tracii Guns wrote Don't Cry. I'm saying this because a) many people don't know this and b) because I know Tracii.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 27, 2015 02:15

I'm not interested in the current GNR lineup. I saw them on the Use Your Illusion World Tour in 1993 and they were great. I want to see them only for a 2nd time, when the orginal lineup (the guys, who played on 'Appetite For Destruction') is back on stage.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 27, 2015 03:41

Chinese Democracy is a snore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-27 03:42 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 27, 2015 04:14

DandelionPowderman
Dick Taylor didn't write Ruby Tuesday. Tracii Guns wrote Don't Cry. I'm saying this because a) many people don't know this and b) because I know Tracii.

I have never once heard that Tracii had a hand in writing Don't Cry, even though it may have been writing as early as when he was in the band. Those songs are pretty much Axl solo songs, and honestly I would say Tracii is saying he helped writing them only to boost his own ego. I have watched and read tons of GNR stuff in the past and never once seen someone refer to Tracii having a hand in writing any of their future songs.

Date: January 27, 2015 06:31

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
The original lineup is and always will be the Appetite For Destruction lineup. Or the Live Like A Suicide lineup if you prefer. To call any of those older people part of the original lineup is just looking for details and to annoy others. Ole Beach did nothing. Traci did nothing to further those songs. Those songs are from either Axl before the band happened or because of that Appetite band. Waste of time arguing anything different.

The original lineup of the Stones is not Dick Taylor. Its the 5 guys on the first record.

If pointing out that members of the original lineup did write some of their big hits and gave the band its name is splitting hairs, then I'm guilty.

tracii is so underrated. i think he is more diverse than slash. i have everything he has released. is he releasing anything soon with his new band that features the drummer from poison?

Date: January 27, 2015 12:58

Here: [www.pledgemusic.com]

And they're touring with nice t-shirts smiling smiley

Date: January 28, 2015 08:38

DandelionPowderman
Here: [www.pledgemusic.com]

And they're touring with nice t-shirts smiling smiley

thank you

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: January 29, 2015 00:30

1. They have one good album. One. And it is vastly overrated.
2. I have seen them 3 times in the last 8 years or so and they have been very very good.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: January 29, 2015 04:29

They're a strange beast for sure. I'm captivated all over again.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: January 29, 2015 05:30

Seriously? DJ Ashba? He's a total poser. Any post Slash GnR guitarist should absolutely be banned from wearing anything remotely resembling a top hat.

Date: January 29, 2015 06:32

jazzbass
Seriously? DJ Ashba? He's a total poser. Any post Slash GnR guitarist should absolutely be banned from wearing anything remotely resembling a top hat.

he was wearing that hat before he was in GNR though

Date: January 29, 2015 06:38

He oddly enough never wears it in Sixx AM...

Date: January 29, 2015 18:04

The USE YOUR ILLUSION albums were pretty bad. It's astounding they thought there was enough good material to release two albums like that. If they'd made it a single album with the good songs it would've been better. But only for that reason. About 8 songs would've worked.

Too much bad shit on those albums.

Date: January 29, 2015 18:12

I just listened to Use Your Illusion I and II back to back the other day on a car drive, and there isn't a bad song among them. Each one is about 2 songs too long, but almost every track is a winner. It took me years to realize that, but I initially always liked about 15 of them. It just took a couple years to get into the other half, but it really is a solid release. To say that Appetite is their only good album is simply ridiculous. Use Your Illusion is a monster and GNR Lies is an excellent release. I'm sorry, but when they were together as a real band, they never made a bad album.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 29, 2015 18:41

keefriffhard4life
jazzbass

he was wearing that hat before he was in GNR though
another thing that i see in the photo above is the truss rod cover is upside down on his les paul . that is a first for me . never seen that before!

Date: January 29, 2015 20:12

I prefer to judje him on his playing and i think he's very good. Well he does a great job on Guns material as do the whole band in my honest opinion.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: January 29, 2015 20:14

ONE GOOD ALBUM

Date: January 29, 2015 20:29

I disagree i love them all, even Chinese Democracy.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 29, 2015 20:29

GasLightStreet
The USE YOUR ILLUSION albums were pretty bad.

Imo these were good double albums : most if not all rock double albums have very good songs interspersed with filler/2nd rate material.

In other words DA's often meander (musically speaking). EOMS does meander, Blonde On BLonde and Physical Graffiti meander too.
UYI meanders as well. So it's a great double album because of the meandering.

But some people hate that and prefer albums thta have just strong tracks, that hit you on the head one after the other.

"Sticky Fingers" will do that to you. thumbs up That's probably why Mick always prefered SF to EOMS.

Date: January 29, 2015 20:58

geordiestone
I prefer to judje him on his playing and i think he's very good. Well he does a great job on Guns material as do the whole band in my honest opinion.
The band is admittedly very good. My favorite of the three guitarists is easily Richard Fortus, who I think should be more of a lead than he is. And Bumblefoot (who may or may not still be in the band) is so infectious in his energy and playing that its hard to like the guy. I don't quite like his shredding style, but I don't deny his talent. To me, DJ is the worst of the 3 and the most poser-ish. Forts has the chops, Bumble has the chops and the nice guy image which makes up for the rest to me. There's nothing I particularly like about DJ. He may be a nice guy, but he always plays like he's got a massive ego, and frankly there are tons of videos on Youtube (and when I saw him live) where he messed up big time. And like, simple stuff like the Sweet Child intro. There's something about his style and presence to me that seems so put on and unoriginal, whereas the other guys have a certain flair even if they aren't guitar gods like Slash or something.

The rest of the band is fine. Drums are good, Stinson on bass is good. Two keyboard players is a bit excessive, and frankly even with one Dizzy Reed never added much to the band. So to me, and many other fans, its the combination of a bloated band (with 1 too many guitars and 1 or 2 unnecessary keyboard players) combined with no one being a real stand out that hurts the band. And its not their fault. They haven't been given a chance to play material they wrote, so I understand they have little say in how much they branch out.

Date: January 29, 2015 21:06

RollingFreak
geordiestone
The band is admittedly very good. My favorite of the three guitarists is easily Richard Fortus, who I think should be more of a lead than he is. And Bumblefoot (who may or may not still be in the band) is so infectious in his energy and playing that its hard to like the guy. I don't quite like his shredding style, but I don't deny his talent. To me, DJ is the worst of the 3 and the most poser-ish. Forts has the chops, Bumble has the chops and the nice guy image which makes up for the rest to me. There's nothing I particularly like about DJ. He may be a nice guy, but he always plays like he's got a massive ego, and frankly there are tons of videos on Youtube (and when I saw him live) where he messed up big time. And like, simple stuff like the Sweet Child intro. There's something about his style and presence to me that seems so put on and unoriginal, whereas the other guys have a certain flair even if they aren't guitar gods like Slash or something.

The rest of the band is fine. Drums are good, Stinson on bass is good. Two keyboard players is a bit excessive, and frankly even with one Dizzy Reed never added much to the band. So to me, and many other fans, its the combination of a bloated band (with 1 too many guitars and 1 or 2 unnecessary keyboard players) combined with no one being a real stand out that hurts the band. And its not their fault. They haven't been given a chance to play material they wrote, so I understand they have little say in how much they branch out.
Good post, although like i say i like DJ Ashba.

Date: January 29, 2015 21:29

Fair enough. And no one should tell you otherwise. He's far and away the most vocal current member of the band, and keeping the name out there for Axl, and for that I respect him. And Axl seems to find great comfort in having DJ there, so hopefully they create a new album so I can see how DJ really shines.

Date: January 29, 2015 21:31

RollingFreak
Fair enough. And no one should tell you otherwise. He's far and away the most vocal current member of the band, and keeping the name out there for Axl, and for that I respect him. And Axl seems to find great comfort in having DJ there, so hopefully they create a new album so I can see how DJ really shines.
Very well said mate.smileys with beer

Date: January 29, 2015 21:32

dcba
GasLightStreet
The USE YOUR ILLUSION albums were pretty bad.

Imo these were good double albums : most if not all rock double albums have very good songs interspersed with filler/2nd rate material.

In other words DA's often meander (musically speaking). EOMS does meander, Blonde On BLonde and Physical Graffiti meander too.
UYI meanders as well. So it's a great double album because of the meandering.

But some people hate that and prefer albums thta have just strong tracks, that hit you on the head one after the other.

"Sticky Fingers" will do that to you. thumbs up That's probably why Mick always prefered SF to EOMS.

More power to ya that you like the UYI albums! I find them to be way too long in the tooth and boring with just a few good songs on each one. GNR's strength, at the time, was the rocking tunes and on UYI 1 and 2 they strayed off of that with minimal results ie not good results. There were some in that regard but overall they are poor albums.

They were also spilling over the brim full of themselves riding the success of AFD and LIES and Axl continued to improve his assholity with the GET IN THE RING tours. I bought UYI 1 and 2 and they didn't even last me 6 months. I got rid of them and have never had an inkling to ever get them again. Completely overblown songs especially the horrendous November Rain.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 29, 2015 21:46

I don't think it's an A+ double-album but imho there's 45 minutes of good music on each disc.
And yeah "NR" is shite. And the pompous vid made it even more unbearable.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 29, 2015 23:37

its axls solo band. he was so hell bent on trying to be 'current' yet he sat home for so long "current" became passe'

i could never figure axl out- he knew so much about music yet he couldnt make the simple connection that trying to turn guns into nine inch nails was like trying to turn the stones into king crimson.

he was in a band better than all of those guys yet he couldnt see it and kept trying to be "progressive" and what did he get...he pushed all of the band away and made an album that was just a complete mess.

and the friggin guy was so stubborn he couldnt just throw it in the toilet,call his band up and say "sorry guys,i blew it" and just move on.now he's fronting this guns cover band.axls crazy but he isnt stupid and to think any of these guys are as good as the real band you'd have to be mentally retarded.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 29, 2015 23:40

Whatever happened to Duff? Propbably the most talented of them all.

Date: January 29, 2015 23:55

Koen
Whatever happened to Duff? Propbably the most talented of them all.
Duff has been back in the band last year replacing Tommy Stinson who had commitments with The Replacements. Not sure if Duff is back full time or not.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: January 30, 2015 00:33

Duff has his project the loaded. He just replaced Tommy for some concerts in Argentina. I think that velvet revolver was a fantastic band better than the new gnr. The gnr had all the potentials to be one of the best band of all time. But they were just a good band with a good number of songs and with a good album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-30 00:35 by pepganzo.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home