Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Origins of "Jumpin' Jack Flash" name
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 20, 2015 01:51

I always assumed that the name "Jumpin' Jack Flash" had its origins in the well-known nursery rhyme:

Jack be nimble,
Jack be quick,
Jack jump over
The candlestick

However, debating this point with somebody, he pointed out that I probably got that idea from Don McLean, whose 1971 hit "American Pie" refers to Mick Jagger as follows:

Jack be nimble,
Jack be quick
Jack Flash sat on a candlestick
'Cause fire is the devil's only friend

My question is: Is there a link between the song and the nursery rhyme? Young Mick Jagger no doubt heard the nursery rhyme as a child. Was he thinking of nimble jumping Jack when he wrote the lyrics to "Jumpin' Jack Flash"? Did the great man himself ever comment on this?

Re: Origins of "Jumpin' Jack Flash" name
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 20, 2015 02:04

The song is named after a gardener Keith had at the time named Jack Dyer. According to Keith:

"The lyrics came from a gray dawn at Redlands. Mick and I had been up all night, it was raining outside, and there was the sound of these boots near the window, belonging to my gardener, Jack Dyer. It woke Mick up. He said, 'What's that?' I said, 'Oh, that's Jack. That's jumping Jack.' I started to work around the phrase on the guitar, which was in open tuning, singing the phrase 'Jumping Jack.' Mick said, 'Flash,' and suddenly we had this phrase with a great rhythm and ring to it."

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 20, 2015 02:08

Forget that ridiculous story about the gardener. A "jack" is one sixth of a gram of heroin in a tiny white pill. That's what it's about.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: January 20, 2015 02:53

I never heard that JJF referred to heroin. I HAVE heard/read the story posted by stonehearted. In fact, I have heard it too many times to be easily counted.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 20, 2015 03:20

tatters
Forget that ridiculous story about the gardener. A "jack" is one sixth of a gram of heroin in a tiny white pill. That's what it's about.

Ahh the double entendre is what makes it so special. It's either about the gardener or Robert Fraser's stash, or both.

The fact that Keith never had a problem admitting to drug references leans to the gardener story but the lyrics seem to fit the drug reference a bit better. Possibly the title was gleaned from the gardener and then embellished with lyrics which referred to the drug.

peace

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 20, 2015 03:27

....I'm goin' with the gardener story ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 20, 2015 03:34

....and could this be Jack ????

ROCKMAN

Date: January 20, 2015 03:47

LIFE 240-241

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 20, 2015 04:51

<BTW, where's Bill's credit, it's only been 47 years!>

We got to the studio early once and... in fact I think it was a rehearsal studio, I don't think it was a recording studio. And there was just myself, Brian and Charlie - the Stones NEVER arrive at the same time, you know - and Mick and Keith hadn't come. And I was just messing about and I just sat down at the piano and started doing this riff, da-daw, da-da-daw, da-da-daw... and then Brian played a bit of guitar and Charlie was doing a rhythm. We were just messing with it for 20 minutes, just filling in time, and Mick and Keith came in and we stopped and they said, Hey, that sounded really good, carry on, what is it?
- Oh, that was just something we were messing with.
- That sounds good.
And then the next day all I can really remember... we recorded it and Mick wrote great lyrics to it and it turned out to be a really good single.
- Bill Wyman, 1982

Date: January 20, 2015 16:00

There are a great number of songs which are very commonly known for hints towards drug use in the lyrics. Some songs, such as "Blunt Blowin'" by Lil Wayne, "Because I Got High" by Afroman, and Cab Calloway’s "Reefer Man", plainly state, even by the title alone, that the song is referencing drugs (though some differ in whether they portray drug use in a positive or negative light; "Because I Got High", for example, includes lyrics focusing on the negatives of drug use. Although some have claimed that The Beatles' "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" refers to LSD. The Beatles themselves denied this. Also by The Beatles, the song "Strawberry Fields Forever" is rumored to be describing an experience of getting high by injection - the phrase "strawberry fields" referring to needle tracks. However, even though this rumor about the song's meaning is floating through the media, it is important to remember that it may simply be a song about fields of strawberries or the property on the outskirts of Liverpool called Strawberry Fields. The famous song "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by The Rolling Stones, said by the band to simply be a song about a friend ‘“Jumpin’” Jack Dyer’, is commonly said to be written about a method, called Jumpin’ Jack Flash, of injecting heroin through the tear ducts. This idea is reinforced by the lyrics; “a spike right through my head.” There are songs, such as "Colt 45" by Afroman that have lyrics that could not be mistaken for anything besides referencing drug use, with lyrics such as, “Smoke that tumbleweed. As the marijuana burn we can take our turn…so roll, roll, roll my joint, pick out the seeds and stems.” Some songs even show the subject of drug use in a negative manner. For example, Neil Young’s "The Needle and the Damage Done" suggests that drug use could take your life: “Every junkie’s like a settin’ sun.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 16:01 by tatters.

Date: January 20, 2015 16:07

Truth be told, I'm not at all sure about that tear duct thing. I think what the song actually refers to is the use of heroin in pill form, possibly crushed up and sprinkled on some marijuana and smoked in an "A-Bomb" joint, which is what Billy Joel's song "Captain Jack" is supposedly about.

"I don't have fond memories of it at all. To find you have to do something just to feel normal is not a good road. I got involved in 1960 when people were getting more than they were using on prescription and selling it. It was called a 'jack', one sixth of a gram of heroin in one tiny white pill."

--Ginger Baker

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 16:25 by tatters.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 20, 2015 16:35

never heard the drug reference before, just the gardener story.

it does fit the rest of the lyrics though.

Date: January 20, 2015 16:43

Maybe "Jumping" Jack was high?

Date: January 20, 2015 17:03

I just don't see how some genial old gardener could possibly have been the inspiration for such a dark and sinister-sounding song. Unless he was a .... devil worshipper! tongue sticking out smiley

Date: January 20, 2015 17:07

I also remember David Crosby mentioning something in his autobiography about using these "jack" pills in the 1960s, and saying that's what the Rolling Stones song Jumpin Jack Flash was all about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 17:10 by tatters.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 20, 2015 17:19

A Jumping Jack was also a firework, now banned in the UK - that was very popular after the war right up until the 90s. You lit it and then it jumped in random directions - unfortunately sometimes under cars and into people's homes.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 20, 2015 17:45

The drug reference was based on the lyrics, not the other way around.
And the "spike right through my head" has nothing to do with drugs either.

Sheesh eye rolling smiley

Date: January 20, 2015 17:48

I always thought the spike in the lyrics was a loose reference to Jesus' crown of thorns.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 20, 2015 17:49

tatters
I just don't see how some genial old gardener could possibly have been the inspiration for such a dark and sinister-sounding song. Unless he was a .... devil worshipper! tongue sticking out smiley

He wasn't. It was the name that he inspired.

Keith wasn't into heroin at the time so that solves that.

Date: January 20, 2015 17:50

with sssoul
The drug reference was based on the lyrics, not the other way around.
And the "spike right through my head" has nothing to do with drugs either.

Sheesh eye rolling smiley

Maybe the professor will cover that when we get to 1968?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 20, 2015 17:50

When they rehearsed JJF and Stray cat blues they had Heroin by Reed/Velvet in mind (SCcool smiley. Lou sings about putting a spike into his vein so of course there could be the poem, the drugs, Velvet and dont forget Bill's fantastic riff. grinning smiley

Date: January 20, 2015 17:54

GasLightStreet
tatters

No it doest. He started using regulary in 1968, later that year I guess but who knows. Besides thats not the point.

Date: January 20, 2015 17:59

Redhotcarpet
When they rehearsed JJF and Stray cat blues they had Heroin by Reed/Velvet in mind (SCcool smiley. Lou sings about putting a spike into his vein so of course there could be the poem, the drugs, Velvet and dont forget Bill's fantastic riff. grinning smiley

Never really considered that but of course it makes sense and probably was an influence.

Date: January 20, 2015 18:03

The chords in the refrain might have been inspired by this

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 20, 2015 18:03

Redhotcarpet
GasLightStreet
tatters

No it doest. He started using regulary in 1968, later that year I guess but who knows. Besides thats not the point.

He did? I thought it wasn't until 1969 actually. No matter. JJF was started in February and recorded in March and April.

But yes, it's beside the point. I've never found JJF to be about or have to do with drugs.

Date: January 20, 2015 18:05

I dont think so either, they must have known about the possible reference but I believe the "poem theory".

Date: January 20, 2015 18:51

Redhotcarpet
GasLightStreet
tatters

Wasn't it at 10.42 pm on August 24 1968? winking smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 20, 2015 19:15

Silver Dagger
Redhotcarpet
GasLightStreet
tatters

Wasn't it at 10.42 pm on August 24 1968? winking smiley

You might be right, but when did Keith and Lennon drive around the country in the Rolls, maybe it was then!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 20, 2015 19:22

tatters

Drug slang changes every other year. How can you say it was in use in 1968 and it referred to that pill?

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: January 20, 2015 20:30

Let's reach a compromise. In those bohemian times Jack the gardener was working under the influence of heroin, fact that is testified by some curious installments in Keith's garden at Redlands'.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home