Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Champ Hangs On
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 16, 2015 07:28

Muhammad Ali is back in the hospital tonight after being found "unresponsive" at his home. I am hoping and praying this isn't the last round for the only person I have ever called "Champ".

Re: OT: The Champ Hangs On
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 16, 2015 07:30

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 16, 2015 12:47

Hope he recovers. It saddens me to watch him talk now. You know the same guy is in there & he just can't get the words out. Going through something similar with my dad right now. Sadly, not for long.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: January 16, 2015 15:28

Sad news.

He was the greatest imho

My dad is also going through the same thing and its so sad to watch.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: January 16, 2015 17:07

The Greatest!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 16, 2015 20:15

leteyer
The Greatest!

......of all time.....

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 16, 2015 20:26

As a teenager I watched his fights on a small black/white tv and it was great fun to see him sort of dance around while boxing

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 16, 2015 20:34

I hope the Champ can celebrate his birthday tomorrow alive...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 16, 2015 21:15

The only mention of being "unresponsive" seems to be coming from crappy tabloids.

Here's what the more 'reliable' sources say:

Muhammad Ali admitted to hospital for follow-up care

>L.A.Times-ALI

Boxing legend Muhammad Ali was readmitted to the hospital Thursday for follow-up care related to a severe urinary tract infection, according to his spokesman.

Reports that the three-time former heavyweight champion was rushed to the hospital unresponsive are not true, Ali spokesman Bob Gunnell told The Times.

This is Ali’s second time in the hospital in the last four weeks, but he is expected to be released Friday, Gunnell said.

Ali was hospitalized on Dec. 20 for the same infection.

>USAToday-ALI

Muhammad Ali back in hospital for follow-up

Muhammad Ali was hospitalized Thursday, a week after he was released from a 17-day stay, and two days before his 73rd birthday.

The boxing star was treated for a urinary tract infection earlier this month. His hospitalization this week was for follow-up care and he is in stable condition, said Bob Gunnell, a family spokesman.

Ali, who has suffered from Parkinson's disease for decades, is expected to be released Friday.

The three-time world heavyweight champion was released from a hospital on Jan. 6.

Ali was hospitalized on Dec. 20 with what was initially believed to be a mild case of pneumonia. Doctors later determined Ali was suffering from a urinary tract infection, not pneumonia, Gunnell said.

"There were still issues with the urinary tract infection," he said of the latest hospitalization.

The man known worldwide for his boxing prowess and humanitarian work has been spending his time listening to music, reading and watching old movies, Gunnell said. Ali is expected to be released Friday.

Ali turns 73 on Saturday and hopes to spend it at one of his homes with family, Gunnell said. Ali and his wife, Lonnie, have homes in Paradise Valley, Ariz., Berrien Springs, Mich., and in Louisville.

Gunnell said he expects Ali's birthday to include watching the Louisville-Duke men's college basketball game. Ali is a Louisville native, and the Muhammad Ali Center -- which showcases Ali's humanitarian causes and boxing career -- is a popular attraction in Kentucky's largest city.

Ali's public appearances have diminished in recent years as he wages his long-running fight against Parkinson's disease, but he still enjoys getting out and watching sports and visiting friends.

Ali retired from boxing in 1981 and devoted himself to social causes. He has traveled the world on humanitarian missions, mingling with the masses and rubbing elbows with world leaders.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever the case, GET WELL CHAMP!!! thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 16, 2015 22:12

Have any members visited the Ali Centre?
Just wondered how it was rated.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 16, 2015 22:47

jlowe

Thanks Hairball for the more accurate news.

Regarding the Ali Center, I have not been there but a few (5-6?) years ago met someone who had worked there. They told me that the center was very well done and cared for/administered by Muhammad's family. Note: this person was in the accounting department not the marketing department and was leaving that job so they had no reason to "advertise" or "blow smoke". When I asked this person if they had much, or any contact with Muhammad, they told me that he was only on site once every month or so. I asked what he was like when he wasn't in the public eye and was told that, although the Parkinson's had slowed him down, he was still very engaging and that he still had his sense of humor and was "possibly the greatest man I've ever met". Those were her words. For some reason I felt privileged just to hear her talk about him for a few minutes. I've never met him or even seen him in person but I must say that I was glad to hear from someone who knew him, that he was similar to what I had imagined. One day I hope to make it to the Ali Center.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 16, 2015 23:52

mr_dja
jlowe

Thanks Hairball for the more accurate news.

Regarding the Ali Center, I have not been there but a few (5-6?) years ago met someone who had worked there. They told me that the center was very well done and cared for/administered by Muhammad's family. Note: this person was in the accounting department not the marketing department and was leaving that job so they had no reason to "advertise" or "blow smoke". When I asked this person if they had much, or any contact with Muhammad, they told me that he was only on site once every month or so. I asked what he was like when he wasn't in the public eye and was told that, although the Parkinson's had slowed him down, he was still very engaging and that he still had his sense of humor and was "possibly the greatest man I've ever met". Those were her words. For some reason I felt privileged just to hear her talk about him for a few minutes. I've never met him or even seen him in person but I must say that I was glad to hear from someone who knew him, that he was similar to what I had imagined. One day I hope to make it to the Ali Center.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Great many thanks, maybe one day I will make the journey (from the UK) also and visit the Centre.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 17, 2015 00:26

I don't watch boxing in any form today, but remember the "Thrilla in Manila" as being one of the greatest boxing matches I ever saw on tv. Smokin' Joe was a great foe for Ali. Still don't believe the boxing did not affect Ali and his later health, but if he and his people want to say it's Parkinson's, well, who am I to quibble? Hope all goes well for him.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 17, 2015 01:19

I heard he was admitted as a simple follow up, no one mentioned " unresponsive " condition! It may be incorrectly reported, let's hope so.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 17, 2015 02:59

<<Still don't believe the boxing did not affect Ali and his later health, but if he and his people want to say it's Parkinson's>>

Yes, it may well be Parkinson's--he was diagnosed by a neurologist in 1984. The Parkinson's may have been the result of the years of chronic brain injury, since in other boxers it has been known to cause dementia and Alzheimer's.

Here's an article on the subject written by a medical and science writer, which discusses Ali and his condition: [patients.aan.com]

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 17, 2015 05:17

Wishing all the best to the great Mohammed Ali.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home