Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Can The Stones Save Country Music?
Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 12, 2015 18:27

24FPS
Country music is dead. It's called Country Music on the radio but it's pop music with a twang for a really dumbed down audience. Kind of like the white version of a rap audience.

Lol!!

Well put!

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: January 12, 2015 19:24

Not true though you are partly right.

Eric Church and Miranda Lambert are the real deal.

Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift are atrocious as are Lady Antebellum

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: January 12, 2015 19:46

Ray Wylie Hubbard!

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 13, 2015 11:52

There's a lot of great country music around - you just have to know where to look. It's one of the most interesting and diverse genres out there, IMO. Commercial nonsense marketed as country has been about for years. It's a money making exercise that bears little relation to real country. OK, some folk like it. I don't. Haven't got a problem with that.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 14, 2015 02:54

So what is the best stones country tune? I think it has to be either one of two on sticky fingers.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 14, 2015 03:06

Dead Flowers is right in there at the top of their greatest hits list...

Date: January 15, 2015 17:01

Rip This
Dead Flowers is right in there at the top of their greatest hits list...

Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed are practically 'Greatest Hits' albums unto themselves!

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: January 15, 2015 21:20

Country music that gets played on the radio is pretty dire these days but that trend has been going on since the 1980s. There was a backlash against it in the 1980s to 1990s with the New Traditionalist movement and the Alt Country movement. Both of those movements produced some great music. Keith understands country music much better than Mick though I must admit "Evening Gown" is a great country weeper in the style of Jerry Lee Lewis's country sides. Faraway Eyes is an example of Mick just taking the piss out of country music but the actual band performance is more homage. Keith's piano playing is great as he knows the Nashville music but in particular, he knows the Bakersfield sound. He had an excellent tutor in Gram Parsons

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 15, 2015 21:27

treaclefingers
So what is the best stones country tune? I think it has to be either one of two on sticky fingers.

Although Dead Flowers is their most popular my fave ie what I think is their best is No Spare Parts.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2015 22:09

okay......

ROCKMAN

Date: January 15, 2015 22:14

uh...okay

Date: January 15, 2015 22:17

actually I'm just hassling you skippy. I quite like NSP as well. Same sort of humorous lyrics as Dead Flowers.

I think DF and Wild Horses are tops as far as country is concerned, and not that I'm a country aficionado, but I think those two songs would hold up extremely well against some of country's finest.

Ring of Fire anyone?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 16, 2015 02:33

<<Ring of Fire anyone?>>

A rockin' tune! Which just goes to prove that country music is for animals.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 16, 2015 02:41

treaclefingers

Ring of Fire anyone?

Fuego de Amor is much better.

Just kidding. grinning smiley

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: January 16, 2015 17:44

Doxa
treaclefingers
Doxa
Pietro

I'd love to see the Stones put out an album of country covers. Jagger's older voice is suited for singing country. Maybe the Stones can turn America on to its country music heritage the same way it turned America on to its Blues heritage.

I dig that idea (at least theoretically). Since Dylan is busy with Sinatra these days, I guess the Stones could be up to to it...

But I am sure Jagger hates the idea. His voice suits damn well, and he has an odd natural ability to do that kind of stuff, but apparantly that would be about the last thing he would ever do... Just to get him sing the blues would be a task enough...

- Doxa

With regards to country, I always thought Micks approach was a bit tongue in cheek, an homage but also making fun of it in a way.

I think he'd be surprised to learn that many people would kill for a Stones Country album as he really doesn't take the genre very seriously, at least from the perspective of their own material/performances.

There was this one interview 'recently' - was it three, five or ten years ago or even more I can't say, this all passes so quickly these days - in which Mick said something to the effect that he could do a country album and people would surely love it, but it is something he doesn't want to do. It doesn't motivate him or something like that.

- Doxa

I read or saw that interview also..It was Jagger who said it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 16, 2015 17:48

What? Nobody likes Dear Doctor?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 16, 2015 18:43

of interest-

more on Marty Stuart.

when all is said and done, Marty Stuart may be the most important archivist for country music.. He's surely one of the best musicians, and his band is amazing.

[gardenandgun.com]

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: January 16, 2015 21:59

I consider Torn and Frayed to be country (or at least country/rock). It's one of the few Stones attempts to do country that isn't tongue-in-check. I also think it's their best country song by far.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: January 16, 2015 23:45

alhavu1
ERIC CHURCH!
If Springsteen is a Zzzzzzzzz Ewic Church is a ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: January 17, 2015 00:12

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 17, 2015 00:21

Mick added vocals to this song that were not done tongue in cheek so I think he can do it if he wants to.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 17, 2015 00:25

just as keith said he wouldnt do an all blues album["its only part of what i do"] the stones wouldnt do a country record,its just an added flavor to the stones albums.

if they record again it would be great to add a country song as well as a blues and a few rockers as well-just dont go for that obvious single try[and swing and miss] or god forbid a political song,we've rolled our eyes enough thank you..

but yeah,some country songs would be great.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home