Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 6, 2015 13:58

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-04 11:42 by colonial.

Re: Stones Instrument Malfunctions on Stage
Date: January 6, 2015 14:01

"A few hearts broken, a few strings busted. That's not a lot - between friends..."

grinning smiley

I'd say on the Bring It Back Aliver-show (Early show, November 9, 1969 in Oakland), where Keith and Taylor had to share amp for a while. I think it was Keith's amp that broke down during JJF.

While fixing the problem, they pushed You Gotta Move and Prodigal Son as the second and third song in the setlist smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-06 14:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 6, 2015 14:01

Does Ronnie being too "adjusted" to play count?grinning smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 6, 2015 14:08

During the Atlantic City 1989 PPV Keith's Music Man guitar was inaudible for a large chunk of Can't Be Seen
At the end, he said cheerily: "OK, that one's for sale!" :E

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 6, 2015 14:10

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 19:39 by colonial.

Date: January 6, 2015 14:16

with sssoul
During the Atlantic City 1989 PPV Keith's Music Man guitar was inaudible for a large chunk of Can't Be Seen
At the end, he said cheerily: "OK, that one's for sale!" :E

+ Mick's classic header during Undercover. That was some quick camera work, although we heard the mic fall to the ground grinning smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 6, 2015 14:28

DandelionPowderman
"A few hearts broken, a few strings busted. That's not a lot - between friends..."

grinning smiley

I'd say on the Bring It Back Aliver-show (Early show, November 9, 1969 in Oakland), where Keith and Taylor had to share amp for a while. I think it was Keith's amp that broke down during JJF.

While fixing the problem, they pushed You Gotta Move and Prodigal Son as the second and third song in the setlist smiling smiley

I don't think they shared amps, but Richards had to switch from the Ampeg to the Fender head while they replaced the Ampeg heads.

Mathijs

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 6, 2015 14:29

Frankfurt 2007, the loudest echo desaster gig.
Sympathy for the Devil - during the 1st Keith solo Charlie left his drums in disgust - only the backing track & Chuck rolled on.

Date: January 6, 2015 14:33

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

grinning smiley

I don't think they shared amps, but Richards had to switch from the Ampeg to the Fender head while they replaced the Ampeg heads.

Mathijs

That might be true. It's been a while since I listen to that boot. Anyways, it affected the sound drastically.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-06 14:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 6, 2015 14:39

Not really an instrument, but I remember Charlie´s drumchair
being exchanged while playing Miss You in Copenhagen 1998.

Date: January 6, 2015 14:49

Not exactly the equipment's fault, but wasn't there a show in 2014 where the Mick
tried to take off his jacket without putting down his mic first? :E

And lest we forget: Keith getting electrocuted at Sacramento on December 3rd 1965 was a pretty spectacular malfunction eye popping smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2015 16:27

Surely the time Keith was electrocuted on stage...that has to be the pinnacle of instrument malfunctions.

What year was that, 1966?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 6, 2015 16:37

Atlanta 2006 - Keith guitar was out for a good portion of HTW on the b-stage. Drake's most excellent boot captures this.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 6, 2015 16:37

I read somewhere that Mick's mic was dead at one time on the 1989-90 tour when he climbed that skylift thing and tried to sing Sympathy for the Devil.

Date: January 6, 2015 17:26

treaclefingers
Surely the time Keith was electrocuted on stage...that has to be the pinnacle of instrument malfunctions.

Treacle dear, look at the post just above yours spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 6, 2015 19:09

Mick's microphone went out during Brown Sugar in New Orleans in 1978.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: January 6, 2015 19:14

Hampden Park, Glasgow, August 2006. Keith's guitar went dead on extended stage on Start Me Up. Think they had to plug in a lead. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 6, 2015 19:24

Seattle'72! Ouch...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 6, 2015 19:26

open-g
Frankfurt 2007, the loudest echo desaster gig.
Sympathy for the Devil - during the 1st Keith solo Charlie left his drums in disgust - only the backing track & Chuck rolled on.

bv comments from that show:

All good things have to end, and they moved back from the B-stage. During "Sympathy For The Devil" Keith was on his way to the wing on Ronnie side when the song literally collapsed. Keith's guitar did not work. Which tells us how important his playing is on these songs. He moved quickly back to center stage and over to Pierre his guitar technician, who fixed the problem, and for the rest of Sympathy Keith was very, very on!

peace

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 6, 2015 19:28

Hannover II, 1990, during Sympathy. Dead microphone,
the crowd went whoo whoo while Chuck´s synth
intro went on and on.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: January 6, 2015 19:31

Frankfurt 29-04-1976 -

Date: January 6, 2015 19:48

with sssoul
treaclefingers

Treacle dear, look at the post just above yours spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

ok ok, you could have just said 1965...given that it was in December, does that not count as 1966?

It should if we're rounding 'up'!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 6, 2015 20:57

B-stage, MSG January 14th 1997.
Johnny Starbuck recalls:

"Once at Madison Square Garden, maybe the most prestigious venue on Earth, the band were playing on the B stage –
that’s the small stage out in the audience that the band goes to, about halfway through the show, so the people in the back can have better seats for three songs.
Ronnie had the intro for ‘The Last Time,” but as he started playing, nothing was coming thru his amp.
He was playing, but it was dead quiet. It must have been something wrong with his wireless.
Keith, being the consummate professional, went right to “Little Red Rooster” and off they went playing a different song.
But Ronnie’s guitar was still not working. It may not sound like much, but for the Rolling Stones at Madison Square Garden it was a huge gaffe.

Fortunately I had a guitar cord handy and I jumped up on stage to plug him in. I hate having to do that. It doesn’t look good.
But there was no telling why Ronnie’s wireless wasn’t working and I knew that, whatever it was, I wasn’t going to solve it in time, so Ronnie played with the cord.
After the show when I was breaking down the B stage gear I found that the cable that goes from the wireless transmitter to the amp thru a hole in the stage was unplugged at the back of the transmitter.
I never found out how that happened because it had worked earlier in the day when I tested it.
But there it was, and I was responsible no matter how it happened. I knew that the band were going to want to know what had happened.
The blunder had even been written about in the next day’s newspaper; it was that noticeable.

But I bit the bullet and went to Ronnie and told him that it had been my fault. His reaction was “You have to tell Keith!”
I wasn’t looking forward to that, but when I did explain to Keith what had happened and ready to take the heat, he just smiled and said, “Well, then I guess THAT won’t happen again.”
And he was right. It started a process of not just double-checking, but triple-checking everything before the show.

As I was leaving Keith’s dressing room, he stopped me and shook his head and said, “Johnny, did it have to be at Madison Square Garden?”
Of all the places for me to make a mistake that effected the show, it had to be there."

[blog.line6.com]

Date: January 6, 2015 21:03

treaclefingers
ok ok, you could have just said 1965...given that it was in December, does that not count as 1966?

Normally I'd be willing to round, but since that's reputedly the same week Keith took acid for the first time,
I reckon we should leave it where it is lest the entire time/space continuum develop a warp, you know?

Date: January 6, 2015 22:23

with sssoul
treaclefingers

Normally I'd be willing to round, but since that's reputedly the same week Keith took acid for the first time,
I reckon we should leave it where it is lest the entire time/space continuum develop a warp, you know?

That makes sense.

It's also around the time Star Trek premiered, so they were testing warp speed quite extensively.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 6, 2015 22:34

ROLLINGSTONE
Hampden Park, Glasgow, August 2006. Keith's guitar went dead on extended stage on Start Me Up. Think they had to plug in a lead. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I remember him booting his amp playfully! I thought there were a few sound issues with that particular show over and above Keith's guitar conking out and the train wreck end to Sway (which I rather liked - hey, it's The Stones). Not one of my favourites because of the dodgy sound (I was experiencing an annoying echo from the stand opposite the stage).

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: January 6, 2015 23:00

LieB
I read somewhere that Mick's mic was dead at one time on the 1989-90 tour when he climbed that skylift thing and tried to sing Sympathy for the Devil.

that was in hanover 1990 second show

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: January 7, 2015 01:07

Opening night of the Steel Wheels tour in Philly back in 1989 the Lights and sound went out during Shattered which IIRC was the third song. It took quite a while come back on and perform. I would say it was a 15 to 20 minute delay which seemed like an eternity.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 7, 2015 01:35

Twickenham 2006 - Keith comes out to strike the opening chords of JJF and no sound comes out of his guitar.... He tries a few more times and.... Nothing.....then Pierre runs out and turns up the volume knob on Keith's guitar.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 7, 2015 01:37

Hyde Park 2013 - the Scarf hijacks Keith's guitar on Scarf Me Up!!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home