Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: What would be your wishes for a new stones album?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 10, 2015 10:05

24FPS
Part of the Stones' genius on covers was recording songs that weren't that well known to the general public, and sometimes weren't recorded that well, and kicking them up into the stratosphere. I had never heard Harlem Shuffle before the Stones excellent version. (And their last great cover). That's why, IMHO, I think recording 'Like A Rolling Stone' was a mistake for the group. They couldn't possibly top it, and didn't even put their own interesting Stones spin on it, like they did with 'Just My Imagination'.

Yeah - I think their good taste (generally) in selecting suitable cover songs derives from their early days when they basically were a covers band. They (and ALO) needed to put some thought on that, the songs needed to be good enough, but not well-known. For example, their released Chuck Berry covers weren't the obvious ones, the 'biggest' hits, a'la "Johnny B. Goode", "Roll Over Beethoven", "Memphis Tennessee" etc. but they were digging deeper Berry catalog, starting with their first single "Come On". Some Berry songs are I guess rather well-known nowadays thanks to their versions ("Around And Around", "Carol", "Little Queenie", etc.). Soon there many other rhythm & blues bands - and, of course, The Beatles earlier - doing the same thing, so the art of picking up suitable songs no other had yet covered, was also some kind of art of its own, and I think the Stones did managed very well in that front. If we look now their choices back then, they still 'look good', me thinks. Just think of their single A-sides - "Not Fade Away", "It's All Over Now", "Time Is On My Side", "Little Red Rooster"... each an excellent choice, and the band not just made them popular, but also added a mark of their own to them.

In later years, I think the reason that they didn't release "Driftaway" in 1974 derives from the same judgment - no matter how great their cover is, the original was well-known enough, and they couldn't actually add anything substantive to it.

Yeah, releasing a too iconic song like "Like A Rolling Stone" as a single A-side, backed up with a video - is one of the worst and cheapest decisions they ever have had made artistically... looking for their version of, say, "Hey Jude" or "Stairway to Heaven" next...grinning smiley

Or if is just up to those very words, what about doing Muddy's "Rollin' Stone"...

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-10 10:15 by Doxa.

Date: January 10, 2015 10:14

I agree, but they did indeed do Rollin' Stone, and it was one of the best things they ever did, imo.

That song have many names/titles winking smiley

Date: January 10, 2015 10:17

DandelionPowderman
I agree, but they did indeed do Rollin' Stone, and it was one of the best things they ever did, imo.

You mean "Still A Fool"? They didn't release it (unfortunately).

- Doxa

Date: January 10, 2015 10:22

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

No, not yet smiling smiley

Still A Fool/Catfish Blues/Rollin' Stone

I'm still hoping for a release of this one. The original AND the 1995 live version. Would be most appropriate.

Date: January 10, 2015 10:27

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

No, not yet smiling smiley

Still A Fool/Catfish Blues/Rollin' Stone

I'm still hoping for a release of this one. The original AND the 1995 live version. Would be most appropriate.

Indeed, indeed. If they get things somehow sorted out with the Klein clan, I hope there is some day a Deluxe version of BEGGARS BANQUET, including this gem...

Oh, they did that tune during VOODOO LOUNGE tour? I didn't know that (or have forgotten, like I tend to do these days...)

- Doxa

Date: January 10, 2015 10:46

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-10 10:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 10, 2015 10:58

Thanks, Dandie! Surprisingly strong version - Keith's guitar is mean, mean, mean...thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: January 10, 2015 11:07

My wishes for a new stones album?
Hopefully the last one.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 10, 2015 12:12

Many good ideas have already been posted on this thread.

I like Don Was so having him back as a producer would be nice, too. That mix engineer who worked on the new GRRR! tracks, Manny Marroquin, has done a really good job, so he should definitely be back.

The addition of Mick Taylor playing lead guitar on several tracks is a great idea, too. In exchange for this, Ronnie Wood should get to write and sing a Stones song on that new album, finally.

I'm fine with Chuck Leavell's playing but please keep Matt Clifford and his keyboard sound choices off of this new record.

I'd like to applaud the fact that the Stones are even thinking of writing and recording new material. May they finish as many songs as they can during these sessions! But please, flesh out those songs completely and don't release demos as singles like was the case with the studio recording of "Streets of Love": that song only became distinctive when the band had ad-libbed additional bits while playing it. Rehearsals are your friends, guys!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 10, 2015 16:50

shadooby
All-in-all, I'm happy with the re-issues that feature re-recordings of unreleased tracks as bonus discs. Tattoo you, for example, was an album of leftovers..and we liked it. Keep'em comin' boys...lookin' forward to Sticky Fingers this year!!! Here's to yasmileys with beer

A lot of Stones albums feature leftovers of some sort on them... starting with LET IT BLEED. But I get the point - nothing on TY was done "new" with TY in mind.

They did eventually stop doing that. There was just one for UNDERCOVER. DIRTY WORK was all new. After that, Highwire was the last song, that I'm aware of, that was held over for another project; it originated at the STEEL WHEELS sessions. I think I even read Jagger said that.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: January 10, 2015 18:58

GasLightStreet
shadooby
All-in-all, I'm happy with the re-issues that feature re-recordings of unreleased tracks as bonus discs. Tattoo you, for example, was an album of leftovers..and we liked it. Keep'em comin' boys...lookin' forward to Sticky Fingers this year!!! Here's to yasmileys with beer

A lot of Stones albums feature leftovers of some sort on them... starting with LET IT BLEED. But I get the point - nothing on TY was done "new" with TY in mind.

They did eventually stop doing that. There was just one for UNDERCOVER. DIRTY WORK was all new. After that, Highwire was the last song, that I'm aware of, that was held over for another project; it originated at the STEEL WHEELS sessions. I think I even read Jagger said that.

The point is that the Stones' way of working in the studio has changed of the years. In the 60s & 70s they brought mostly drafts and unfinished songs in the studio, and the songs grew up there. More like a jam session, but in the end they had many songs and just had to pick out the best ones for the album. Songs like Symphaty or Tumbling Dice were created that way. Mick Jagger wrote words of Brown Sugar in a few minutes in the studio.

Today it's more standard to finalize the songs before going in the studio, every word has to fit perfectly. I would wish for a new stones album, that they just meet in the studio to jam with their ideas, to develope songs in the classic stones-style.

Date: January 10, 2015 19:02

Come on, wake up guys! They don't care about to make a new album! They have done their job, it's finnish. The live gigs are good and they know it, The live gigs are
also the big money machine!!!

Date: January 10, 2015 19:09

steffiestones
Come on, wake up guys! They don't care about to make a new album! They have done their job, it's finnish. The live gigs are good and they know it, The live gigs are

Of course.

BUT.

There are some pretty good leftovers from the VOODOO sessions that I think should be released. I'm not convinced a new LP would work strictly based on what seems to be their lack of interest in being a creative... something. They're not a creative force and haven't been for quite some time.

Farting out new songs for hits comps seems to be all the rage in... stuck in the past land.

They should stick to releasing unreleased material, studio and live. That's the only future for the Stones in terms of recordings.

Date: January 10, 2015 19:18

GasLightStreet
steffiestones

Of course.

BUT.

There are some pretty good leftovers from the VOODOO sessions that I think should be released. I'm not convinced a new LP would work strictly based on what seems to be their lack of interest in being a creative... something. They're not a creative force and haven't been for quite some time.

Farting out new songs for hits comps seems to be all the rage in... stuck in the past land.

They should stick to releasing unreleased material, studio and live. That's the only future for the Stones in terms of recordings.

Yes, but this is nothing to do about to make a new album! So please, wake up, don't make dreams, let there enjoy there retirement and open the vaults are much better to make a new
album.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT EXPECT TO MUCH FROM THEM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-10 19:21 by steffiestones.

Date: January 10, 2015 19:25

steffiestones
GasLightStreet
steffiestones

Of course.

BUT.

Yes, but this is nothing to do about to make a new album! So please, wake up, don't make dreams, let there enjoy there retirement and open the vaults are much better to make a new
album.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just so you know WE do not bother the Stones nor do they read what anyone says and 'hear us'.

So don't worry about that.

And they've not retired. They're still an ongoing 'band' and have been since late 2012. With more shows this year too. But you could probably count on this year being the last year they do any shows.

Besides, I'll always hope for outtakes to be officially released - I don't care if they're unfinished or magically finished - so I can hear them with excellent quality. That's never changed and it never will.

And if they do make a new album it's possible they will use leftover material. Because obviously they're not going to write new songs. So that was the point - some good leftovers from the VOODOO sessions is as good a place to start as any regarding a new album... that will never happen.

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: January 10, 2015 19:41

No Don Was...

Date: January 10, 2015 19:49

Yes, they got no plans at the moment and maybe we're dreaming too much.

BUT:

The current tour is actually still the 50s anniversary tour. 2012/13 they were in the States and London, last year in Asia, Australia & Europe. This year probably South America. At some point they played all over the world. If then they want to do a new tour, wouldn't it be good to have some new songs to put in the setlist?

Date: January 10, 2015 19:57

StonedRambler

BUT:

The current tour is actually still the 50s anniversary tour. 2012/13 they were in the States and London, last year in Asia, Australia & Europe. This year probably South America. At some point they played all over the world. If then they want to do a new tour, wouldn't it be good to have some new songs to put in the setlist?

Sure. But that doesn't specifically mean "new" songs now does it. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: January 10, 2015 22:58

GasLightStreet
StonedRambler

BUT:

Sure. But that doesn't specifically mean "new" songs now does it. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Would be okay for me if they took old song ideas, but then they should record it new like they would play it in 2015.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 11, 2015 01:18

My wishes for a new Stones album would be that there would be a bunch of Jagger/Richard, Jagger/Wood, Jagger/Taylor and Jagger/Richards/Taylor/Wood songs on them, and maybe one Wyman/Watts original composition.

Date: January 11, 2015 09:51

treaclefingers
My wishes for a new Stones album would be that there would be a bunch of Jagger/Richard, Jagger/Wood, Jagger/Taylor and Jagger/Richards/Taylor/Wood songs on them, and maybe one Wyman/Watts original composition.

Too much for Jagger - DISQUALIFIED!

Date: January 11, 2015 12:34

treaclefingers

Their Exile Girls In Rescue-album?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 11, 2015 14:10

I would like a new album that didn't have anything like A Bigger Bang (aka Goddess in the Doorway part. 2)

Date: January 11, 2015 16:33

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

Too much for Jagger - DISQUALIFIED!

yeah, but without Jagger, you don't actually get a completed song.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 11, 2015 16:34

My ideal next Stones album: nothing but rock n roll and blues covers of songs that influenced them. Chuck Berry/Johnny Johnson, Elmore James, Muddy.

Yes, they did lots of covers in their early years, but that was a different era of recording and their own musicianship and 'feel'.

I don't think they have an album of original songs they can pull off (as evidenced by every album in the last 30+ years). A few listenable songs, but not 45 or 70 minutes of moving music. With doing blues and r&r they can sound great, have fun and introduce many more people to songs/artists/genres they don't know much of.

I think it would also extend the band's relevancy. Old rock musicians can get embarrassing as they lose skill and vigor. Old bluesmen gain a patin.

Date: January 11, 2015 16:34

KRiffhard
I would like a new album that didn't have anything like A Bigger Bang (aka Goddess in the Doorway part. 2)

Then what you'd like is an album released prior to 1989.

Date: January 11, 2015 16:35

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers

Their Exile Girls In Rescue-album?

Rescued Girls in Emotional Exile flows better, but I get your vibe.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 11, 2015 16:48

Inspired by another post with a contrary message:

That it is not the last one!
drinking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 11, 2015 17:06

Still a Fool.. Killer Version,Great Stuff !!
Thanks...

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-11 17:06 by corriecas.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 12, 2015 14:01

treaclefingers
KRiffhard

Then what you'd like is an album released prior to 1989.

...nothing is awful as A Bigger Alfie's Doorway! Mick please keep your usless solo stuff away from the Stones for the next album.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home