Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Anyone attend any of The Rolling Stones 71 UK Tour shows
Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: December 26, 2014 16:58

Looking to hear what they thought of the Stones performance on this tour. R.G. put a book out on this tour, but not to much else has written about this tour.

Re: Anyone attend any of The Rolling Stones 71 UK Tour shows
Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: December 26, 2014 18:52

Hey VJ. Nice to see you surface here. I always wanted to learn more about those '71 shows and thought RG did a nice job with his book, especially the way he portrayed it as the last time the Stones toured without a mega entourage and were peaking as a band, heading off to Nellcote for the Summer. That's one tour I would like to set the Wayback machine for.

BTW - I just posted on the Atlantic City 89 thread. I think you sat with us on the third night.

HBK (Ed H)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 26, 2014 20:04

HouseBoyKnows
That's one tour I would like to set the Wayback machine for.

So do I but please not through the release of Leeds or Marquee!
The March 14 Roundhouse show (the late one) was so much better!!!

If it wa recorded with the Mobile Truck and if it exists in the vaults that's the one to go to, VJ! thumbs up

Date: December 26, 2014 20:18

I'd like to know if they indeed played CYHMK and WH on this tour...

Posted by: peters318 ()
Date: December 26, 2014 20:42

I was at the Newcastle concert (early show)

vintagerock.wordpress.com/2012/01/08/the-rolling-stones-newcastle-city-hall-1971/

Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-26 20:44 by peters318.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 26, 2014 20:49

Peters318---very COOL Thanks for posting.

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: December 26, 2014 22:21

Very cool story
And your setlist seems accurate without WH and/or CYHMK
Jumping Jack Flash; Live With Me; Dead Flowers; Stray Cat Blues; Love In Vain; Midnight Rambler; Bitch; Honky Tonk Women; Satisfaction; Little Queenie; Brown Sugar Encore: Street Fighting Man

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 26, 2014 23:10

I too attended a show on this tour. Brighton Big Apple.

A couple of months prior I'd queued all night on the pavement outside the record shop that was due to sell tickets. The overnighters were fine and behaved well, but there was a bit of a rush and crush when others turned in the morning to buy tickets and tried jumping the queue. No matter, I got my two tickets. (By queuing all night I missed a chance to see The Kinks). But I also got two free tour posters - which I still have.

I don't really remember that much about the detail of the actual show. The Big Apple was a 1920s/30s ballroom built above a cinema in Brighton and it had a proper sprung floor. That meant that as the band played and everyone moved, it felt as if the entire building was rocking.

The use of a ballroom also meant that it was (what these days we'd call) General Admission.
It was crowded. Very crowded. The girl I was with actually fainted in the crush, but was held upright by the simple fact that there was no way to fall down.

I DO remember noticing that Keith was leading the music, and the others were following him - which wasn't how I remembered things from earlier shows I'd seen.

The Big Apple was knocked down not that long afterwards.

(The girl I was with knew Richard Branson - and he would do anything for her at the time. So I asked her to get me a Sticky Fingers Mick Jagger stand-up from him - which was one day left in my house (which was quite a surprise to walk in and see Jagger standing in my front room). I've still got it.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 26, 2014 23:53

Yeah cool stories.
Now Gents please post a detailed setlist of the show you saw! >grinning smiley<

Date: December 27, 2014 02:49

Hi HBK,

Drop me an email, Marilou has it. Love to catch up.Talk soon. VJ

Date: December 27, 2014 03:07

Hi Peter,

I enjoyed reading your post, I would like to talk to you more about the 71 UK tour.I am currentkly working on the Stones posssible next DVD project "The Marquee 71 show". You can contact me at my email jkarnbach@nyc.rr.com if you are interested. Thank you

peters318
I was at the Newcastle concert (early show)

vintagerock.wordpress.com/2012/01/08/the-rolling-stones-newcastle-city-hall-1971/

Peter

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 27, 2014 03:50

DandelionPowderman

Yes, I think they surely did play at least WH: [www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-27 03:51 by Cristiano Radtke.

Date: December 27, 2014 11:11

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, and Bill claimed that they had a try at CYHMK. But where abd when??

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: December 27, 2014 13:06

DandelionPowderman
Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

For me CYHMK was just rehearsed and "fell apart".
The song is listed in a report but was probably"Bitch" : a short song up tempo a la JJF.
The songs were unedited at the time and the journalists knew only the titles.
So a confusion was possible.

Date: December 27, 2014 13:10

marclaff
DandelionPowderman
Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

The song is listed in a report but was probably"Bitch" : a short song up tempo a la JJF.

Bill said they played it once on the 71-tour, and that it fell apart.

Wild Horses was most likely also tried out.

I wonder why this is so hard to get confirmed?

Date: December 28, 2014 00:57

CYHMK was played live in Liverpool,at the Empire Theater March 12,1971. This was confirmed to me by Bobby Keys many years ago personally, plus he then wrote about it in his book "Every Nights a Saturday Night". I believe the late great Bobby Keys (may he rest in peace), is not wrong about this. With the exception of Brown Sugar, CYHMK was probably one of his biggest claims to fame signiture solos. At many of his live solo gigs he had done over the years he always played the song and spoke about it alot. So I doubt his recall about the first time he played it live with the Stones would be in error. He also stated that the song flopped as did Wyman in various articles. So with two confirmations I would guess that the story is true. I knew someone that knew someone that had a tape of the Liverpool show but I never did get to aquire it. The stones did record many of the 71 shows on cassette ,but I'm not sure what is still around. If it is as bad as reported I doubt we will ever get to hear it released. I hope this help answer the question if it was playe live on the 1971 tour.

DandelionPowderman
marclaff
DandelionPowderman
Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

Bill said they played it once on the 71-tour, and that it fell apart.

Wild Horses was most likely also tried out.

I wonder why this is so hard to get confirmed?

Date: December 28, 2014 01:18

Thanks, James. It's a big number, and it's kinda baffling that Mick and Keith never mentioned this + the fans who watched this live debut in Liverpool.

Trainwreck or not, it should have made an impact big enough to tell about for the fans...

Date: December 28, 2014 02:21

I agree, I don't think Mick or Keith spoke of it because of two big reason 1. It was done only once; toward the end of this tour. 2.It flopped, nothing to brag about. It seemed like it was a last minute addition to the set list that night, so no one was prepared, which is what Bobby says in his book. P 116 I believe. I don't believe they ever did Wild Horses on this tour (71) at all, Keys & Wyman never mentioned it to me in coversations I had with them over the years.

What baffled me was that not one Stones fan (that I know of) that attended the show ever mentioned the song (CYHMK) being played at this show? I don't have any local newspapers from Liverpool from this date that reviewed the show, maybe it's in one of them?

DandelionPowderman
Thanks, James. It's a big number, and it's kinda baffling that Mick and Keith never mentioned this + the fans who watched this live debut in Liverpool.

Trainwreck or not, it should have made an impact big enough to tell about for the fans...

Date: December 28, 2014 09:26

[www.iorr.org]

Check this thread, James.

But fans should remember this?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 28, 2014 09:41

DandelionPowderman
[www.iorr.org]

Yeah that is a good thread with some great photos of the period. Reminds me that I miss Erik_Snow on this board. Wonder what happened to him?

peace

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 28, 2014 11:53

Wild Horses was played in 1971 100% sure.

Bad news they are thinking about releasing the Marquee gig on DVD -that's about the worst show they have ever done.....

Mathijs

Date: December 28, 2014 12:40

I agree Marquee Show was not one of the bands best shows. I am working on the DVD project and trying to get them to use another show. What show do you know 100% they did Wild Horses? This would help in getting another 71 show used. I have offer them Wild Horses & Bitch from Top of The Pops as a bonus, hopefull they will want to use it. Marquee Show will be used regardless but another show would be good to add to the DVD. They video taped at least one other show from this tour. The final decision on what is used is up to the band in the end I can only make suggestions.

Mathijs

Bad news they are thinking about releasing the Marquee gig on DVD -that's about the worst show they have ever done.....

Mathijs

Date: December 28, 2014 13:27

VideoJames
They video taped at least one other show from this tour.

Mr K. can you tell us which one it was?

Posted by: lippmann ()
Date: December 28, 2014 16:49

what a great thread,
in my opinion houseboyknows is right, the band peaked at this time, isnt it interesting, that such a "small tour" 44 years back had such a legendary status.
funny....,yesterday i bought on a recordfair an old dutch bootleg double vinyl, i saw it once
on popsike, but never get any information about, must be horribly rare.... but the
title alone and the cover gave me the chills.
put it on the turntable and what did i hear? a great copy of detroit 69 with much punch and a good measure of surface.
a great way to enjoy one of my all time favourite shows(aren`t it always the old classic boots?)
whats left, maybe a great cover, for a roundhouse soundboard next year.
anyway....greetings and good luck for ye all...gerhard

Posted by: lippmann ()
Date: December 28, 2014 17:05

sorry can anybody upload the cover of rolling stones live at the roundhouse 1971 from popsike, nothin works here anymore...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 28, 2014 17:17

VideoJames
I agree Marquee Show was not one of the bands best shows. I am working on the DVD project and trying to get them to use another show. What show do you know 100% they did Wild Horses? This would help in getting another 71 show used. I have offer them Wild Horses & Bitch from Top of The Pops as a bonus, hopefull they will want to use it. Marquee Show will be used regardless but another show would be good to add to the DVD. They video taped at least one other show from this tour. The final decision on what is used is up to the band in the end I can only make suggestions.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Like many others here, I've seen the Marquee show and would just add that it is a rather short performance so adding another show from 1971 would be tremendous. Good luck in persuading the band to use a second show!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 28, 2014 17:21

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
[www.iorr.org]

Yeah that is a good thread with some great photos of the period. Reminds me that I miss Erik_Snow on this board. Wonder what happened to him?

peace

Fed up of the whining on IORR..........but there is no place on Earth without whinging so the excuse is useless....come on my friend Erik....

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 28, 2014 17:34

VideoJames

Mathijs

Mathijs

According to N. Zentgrafs Complete Works site the known bootlegvideo/recording is from the dressrehearsals only. Is the real show already out there or will this be a NEW show if released officially by The Stones?

26th March: UK TV (Lion TV), 'Ladies And Gentlemen, The Rolling
Stones', London, Marquee Club. Director: Bruce Gowers.
- Live With Me (MJ/KR)
- Dead Flowers (MJ/KR)
- I Got The Blues (MJ/KR)
- Let It Rock (Chuck Berry)
- Midnight Rambler (MJ/KR)
- Satisfaction (MJ/KR)
- Bitch (MJ/KR)
- Brown Sugar (MJ/KR)
Additional musicians:Bobby Keys (sax)/Jim Price (tp)
Note: All songs come from the dress-rehearsal, audience noises were mixed in.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: December 28, 2014 17:43

Two bombshells in a row! This board amazes me sometimes.

VideoJames
I am working on the DVD project

RipThisBone

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 28, 2014 18:07

SharksWillCry
Two bombshells in a row! This board amazes me sometimes.

VideoJames
I am working on the DVD project

RipThisBone

agreed!

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home