Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
NME-concert 1968, why no film?
Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: December 14, 2014 23:26

Why wasn't the NME-concert in 1968 filmed? It was a huge event with some 10 000 spectators. In the previous years it was filmed, but not this year!

Re: NME-concert 1968, why no film?
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 14, 2014 23:48

According to"It's Only R n R The Ultimate Guide To The Rolling Stones"(Karnbach-Beanson) pp347-348 the May 12 performance was taped and bcast May 18, 1968 on "Time For Blackburn" in the UK which included the two song performance and Gold record presentation for JJF. It also says it was bcast on the same day( May 18) in the UK on "Big Beat 68". As far as accuracy of this I cannot say but I was under the impression the book had a good reputation. Sure would be nice to have the footage tho! I bet its in the Stone's Archives if it exists, what do you think?

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: December 14, 2014 23:49

Yep, a film from this would be great! Brian's last live performance with Stones, and the debut for "jumpin Jack flash"!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 15, 2014 00:01

Unfortunately in the sixties most TV footage after broadcast was erased because tapes were expensive and they used the same tapes numerus times to save money and storage space. So, altough there is a chance that this footage somehow miracusly exists somewhere I wouldn't be very optimistic.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 15, 2014 01:28

You know, now that you mention that I do recall how bad the bbc was about taping over audio bcasts but I didn't realize they did it to video too. I'm assuming that video tape was pretty new to even television programs in 68 huh? I mean it would be the late 70s or so before video recorders were avail for home use wasn't it? Wasn't the earlier NME concerts FILMED for theatre showings? As mentioned in the original post, I guess that wasn't commercially profitable anymore by 68?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 15, 2014 01:43

Kuntaman
Yep, a film from this would be great! Brian's last live performance with Stones, and the debut for "jumpin Jack flash"!

Dec. 1968...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 15, 2014 02:18

Many time discussed........we are still waiting.......who knows maybe some shot an 8mm drinking smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 15, 2014 02:26

I think it's been discussed here a while ago about Brian's last performance. Athens 67 would have been the last show of a regular tour. NME 68 would have been the last general public show and RNR Circus would have been the last actual performance.
The NME 68 show is probably only behind Stu's memorial in 86 in terms of shows the fans would like to see.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: December 15, 2014 03:40

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: December 15, 2014 06:27

Great pic gripweed. Please post more stills, someone..anyone!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 15, 2014 08:16

<<in the sixties most TV footage after broadcast was erased because tapes were expensive>>

In the late sixties, one reel of 2-inch Quadruplex videotape (for color broadcasts) [en.wikipedia.org] was £90 (US$216 in 1967 dollars), which is approximately £1,000 (US$1,571) in 2014.

Many early music programmes, such as Ready Steady Go and (until the mid-1970s, most episodes of) Top of the Pops are lost, so many significant television appearances—such as The Beatles' last live television performance in 1966, and most appearances of Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett—are unavailable.

A further international list of "lost" television broadcasts at: [en.wikipedia.org]

Another entry on "wiping":[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: December 15, 2014 08:20

Date: December 15, 2014 08:27

Date: December 15, 2014 08:29

These pics have all been shared on here before, I just re-posted them

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 15, 2014 10:44

I think we're lucky that quite a few TV appearances exist to day, like Ed Sullivan shows. I bet the producers had to pay tons of money to keep the tapes.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 15, 2014 13:21

This is so sad. But, it's not that unlikely that someone else also filmed this. And how I wish. There just has to be one audio or video somewhere.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 15, 2014 13:24

Awesome pics.
I would love to see/hear the NME '68 show. But I also believe it could be a little underwhelming - badly mixed, no Brian audible, 98% Mick in the camera, etc.

Date: December 15, 2014 13:35

stonehearted
<<in the sixties most TV footage after broadcast was erased because tapes were expensive>>

In the late sixties, one reel of 2-inch Quadruplex videotape (for color broadcasts) [en.wikipedia.org] was £90 (US$216 in 1967 dollars), which is approximately £1,000 (US$1,571) in 2014.

Many early music programmes, such as Ready Steady Go and (until the mid-1970s, most episodes of) Top of the Pops are lost, so many significant television appearances—such as The Beatles' last live television performance in 1966, and most appearances of Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett—are unavailable.

A further international list of "lost" television broadcasts at: [en.wikipedia.org]

Another entry on "wiping":[en.wikipedia.org]

Maybe they didn't taped it till the end so it's possible that there is a snipped of the concert or it's still there to be erased grinning smiley think the BBC should play all the tapes till the end........

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 15, 2014 13:50

Don't think it was the BBC that filmed this which actually makes the chances of it surviving even slimmer if you can believe it. The archives of the many 3rd Channel/ITV broadcasters (Southern, Rediffusion,Channel,Border,Westward,TWW,ABC etc..) are seriously depleted or virtually non-existent as a result of loss of franchise and archival practice.
There have been rumours that a collector has the NME 68 Pollwinners concert but they remain rumours and until film appears, we have to assume it is lost.
However....the digitisation programmes of recent years have led to stuff being found that was previously thought lost/wiped. It is not impossible that somewhere in a film can somewhere, this and other lost Stones footage survives. Consider the kind of thing that has turned up in recent years - See Emily Play on Top Of The Pops, film of Kaleidoscope, a lost Oh Boy episode from early 1959 and a tiny snippet of Johnny Kidd and The Pirates.
Personally i haven't given up hope of seeing the directors cut of The Magnificent Ambersons.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: December 15, 2014 14:18

There is of course a tiny possibility that Tony Blackburn himself has a copy.

A few celebrities back in the day had very primitive home video set ups and kept copies of their own work.

Only this year 2 missing episodes of "At last the 1948 show" were found in the private collection of David Frost.

Tony Blackburn is still alive so maybe he could be asked about the show.

Also, copies may have been sent overseas for possible broadcast.

It's very unlikely that a copy still exists, but you never know.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 15, 2014 17:28

Dont forget the ITV production Ready Steady Go! which ran from 1963 to 1966. The Stones appeard on many occasions and in fact had a Special as did the Who.
It was THE music show on TV at the time.
Dave Clark (DC5) holds the rights to the surviving broadcasts which occasionally suface on UK TV.
Check out You Tube, a must to see is presenter Cathy McGowan hamming up and miming I Got You Babe with a healthy looking Brian, the joined by the others, even ALO gets in on the act.
Good to see Brian enjoying himself and even Bill has a smile on his face.
Dave Clark was one canny businessman, unlike the Glimmer Twins he spurned the advances of Allen Klein and went on to make a fortune out of his involvement with some UK West End theatre productions.
I would have thought the potential market is there for a DVD release of the Stones but maybe Clark, the Stones and presumably ABKCO cant agree on how to divvy the profits. What a shame.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 15, 2014 17:48

Dealing with Dave Clark is apparently not a pleasure or cheap. Rhino tried to licence the DC5 catalogue some time ago. Harold Bronson (?) or whoever the Rhino rep was was not impressed and i believe it fell through due to DC's demands which was a great shame for the other guys in the band - you know the ones DC never mentions and Bobby Graham.

I think (speculation on my part) there's a very good explanation as to why Paul McCartney appeared in the DC5 documentary and it's not because he's a big DC5 fan.

Sadly it would appear that with the exception of one or two clips, we have seen all that remains of RSG. Luckily the Stones special survives but i believe it doesn't come cheap which would put ABKCO off.

I am currently negotiating for a 45 second clip of a band for possible release as part of a ltd run (1000 copies) cd with dvd component. It is silent black and white film and the cost is currently £1000.00. Yes that's 1000 pounds for 45 seconds silent black and white footage. I am led to believe that that is industry standard and the company i am dealing with are pleasant and co-operative.
Any more questions as to why it's so difficult for quality DVDs to be put out by our favourite and not so favourite bands?

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: January 6, 2017 00:24

Call me slow, but this 8mm footage is new to me -- [youtu.be]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 6, 2017 01:10

Milan

Wow! eye popping smiley

Great find, thanks for sharing. It's a pity it doesn't have sound, but it's great to watch it anyway.

Date: January 6, 2017 01:13

Milan

Wow, great find!!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 6, 2017 01:25

Milan

Holy @#$%& shit!!!! eye popping smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 6, 2017 01:28

Tantalising and frustrating!
Thanks for posting.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: January 6, 2017 01:41

Milan

Great find...............I knew it that there must be something out there............anybody recognized what they are playing?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 6, 2017 01:45

NICOS
Milan

Great find...............I knew it that there must be something out there............anybody recognized what they are playing?

They played Jumpin' Jack Flash and Satisfaction.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 6, 2017 01:58

Milan

My God!

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1278
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home