Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: NME-concert 1968, why no film?
Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 6, 2017 20:45

This is so interesting. It looks like Keith has the capo at the fourth fret and so is playing (as he currently does) in open G. This is different to the Rock n Roll Circus version where he plays it in Open E. This is interesting because I always thought that he originally recorded JJF and SFM in open E and then only started playing them in open G from 1969 in Hyde Park. Thoughts anyone?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 6, 2017 22:20

Silver Dagger
Amazing. Just amazing. And weird to see Brian on Jagger's right, not left as usual.

Actually the whole band is on one side of Mick. I think it's because if you watch earlier in the clip you'll see several drum kits set up for the different bands. Assuming the Stones went on last, Charlies drum kit was set up on the far left of the stage from the audience point of view.
I first noticed this set up when watching the 65 NME awards show that was posted here earlier. During The Animal's set, from the audience's view, Eric Burdon is singing to the right of drummer John Steel but Alan Price, Chas Chandler and Hilton Valentine are all to the left. I must say the Animals sure were exciting to watch in that clip!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 6, 2017 22:21

How come they were getting a GOLD disc the month it was released?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 6, 2017 23:12

jlowe

Because BEGGARS BANQUET sold enough copies the month it was released in 1968.

BLUE & LONESOME was GOLD in one week in the Netherlands last december.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: January 6, 2017 23:14

"DGA35" wrote: "Assuming the Stones went on last..."

Here is the complete list, thanks to one Youtube commentator (and probably IORR member):

Here's the complete listing from the NME the week later, courtesy of William MacGregor of the ME forum. Looks like The Move and Scott did play, they just weren't filmed. What I thought was the Love Affair may have been The Showstoppers? First Half of the show...

1. Status Quo who sang (Pictures of Matchstick Men, Black Veils of Melancholy, and Gloria)

2. Don Partridge sang (Keep Your hands of Her, Wayward Boy, and Rosie)

3. Love Affair sang (Everlasting Love, and Rainbow Valley)

4. The Showstoppers sang (I'm Gonna Miss You, and Ain't Nothing but a House Party)

5. The Association sang (Cherish, Windy, and Too Many Mornings)

6. The Paper Dolls sang (Simon Says and Something Here in My Heart)

7. Tony Blackburn sang (Baby I Need Your Loving)

8. Lulu sang (The Letter, Me the Peaceful Heart and Morning Dew)

9. The Shadows sang (Apache, Lara's Theme, Dr Zhivago's theme, FBI and a snatch of Land of a 1,000 dances)

10. Cliff and the Shadows sang (In the Country, then Cliff sang Shout, The Day I Met Marie, and Congratulations) then he was awarded his prize as the Top British Vocal Personality from Robert Knight (who had the original US hit of Everlasting Love)

Second Half of the show...

11. Amen Corner sang (Shake a Tail Feather and Bend Me shape Me)

12. The Herd sang (Oop Poo Pah Doo and I Don't Want Our Loving to Die)

13. The Tremeloes sang (Suddenly You Love Me and Helule,Helule)

14. The Move sang (Hey Grandma and the Spooky Tooth number Sunshine Help Me)

15. Dusty sang (Don't Fight It, Wishin' and Hopin', You Don't Have to say you Love Me, A Natural Woman and Sweet Soul Music)

16. Scott Walker sang (Amsterdam, the NME then explained why Scott only sang one song?..It was because he intended to sing Joanna but found out that Mike Leander had not had it arranged for his orchestra.

17. The Rolling Stones sang (Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction) it was announced to the audience that the Stones took part in the show completely at their own suggestion.

18. Prize Giving Time...Roger Moore handed out awards to Tony Blackburn, Jimmy Savile, The Shadows, Lulu, Robin Gibb, Dusty and all of the Rolling Stones

19 Finally the show ended with DDDBM&T who sang (Hold Tight, Bend It and The Legend of Xanadu)?

He also added this:

Here's what I can identify in the video: Any corrections welcome:

The Status Quo are definitely the first band at 0.00...
0.55: Don Partridge
1.15: 5 piece group with 2 girl backing singers. The Love Affair I think?
1.37: The Association, I'm pretty sure.
1.44: Paper Dolls
2.00: solo girl singer with reddish hair.. looks like Lulu. She's not listed in the known running order.. maybe an unscheduled addition?
2.24: solo male singer with backing band.. looks like Cliff Richard to me. (Shadows backing him?)
2.44: announcer (Tony Blackbirn) inroduces a 4 piece group who run on stage. Best guess is The Herd (the band seen here has the same bass/guit/drums/keys line up as The Herd.. they seem to have a flamboyant keyboard player who also fronts the group for the first song.. at first I thought this was The Move because of the crazy stage lighting and effects that the band starts with but since there is a keyboard I'm going with The Herd.. be good to have it confirmed for sure though..
3.40: 4 piece group with guit/guit/bass/drums lineup.. could be The Move but doesn't look much like them, esp as Carl didn't usually play guit onstage. Can't see it being Scott Walker either. An unscheduled act? Any ideas?
3.56: Jimmy Savile chucking underwear back into the crowd, unfortunately.
4.03: Dusty Springfield
4.10: Rolling Stones

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-06 23:18 by Milan.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 6, 2017 23:22

Milan
"DGA35" wrote: "Assuming the Stones went on last..."

Here is the complete list, thanks to one Youtube commentator (and probably IORR member):

Here's the complete listing from the NME the week later, courtesy of William MacGregor of the ME forum. Looks like The Move and Scott did play, they just weren't filmed. What I thought was the Love Affair may have been The Showstoppers? First Half of the show...

1. Status Quo who sang (Pictures of Matchstick Men, Black Veils of Melancholy, and Gloria)

2. Don Partridge sang (Keep Your hands of Her, Wayward Boy, and Rosie)

3. Love Affair sang (Everlasting Love, and Rainbow Valley)

4. The Showstoppers sang (I'm Gonna Miss You, and Ain't Nothing but a House Party)

5. The Association sang (Cherish, Windy, and Too Many Mornings)

6. The Paper Dolls sang (Simon Says and Something Here in My Heart)

7. Tony Blackburn sang (Baby I Need Your Loving)

8. Lulu sang (The Letter, Me the Peaceful Heart and Morning Dew)

9. The Shadows sang (Apache, Lara's Theme, Dr Zhivago's theme, FBI and a snatch of Land of a 1,000 dances)

10. Cliff and the Shadows sang (In the Country, then Cliff sang Shout, The Day I Met Marie, and Congratulations) then he was awarded his prize as the Top British Vocal Personality from Robert Knight (who had the original US hit of Everlasting Love)

Second Half of the show...

11. Amen Corner sang (Shake a Tail Feather and Bend Me shape Me)

12. The Herd sang (Oop Poo Pah Doo and I Don't Want Our Loving to Die)

13. The Tremeloes sang (Suddenly You Love Me and Helule,Helule)

14. The Move sang (Hey Grandma and the Spooky Tooth number Sunshine Help Me)

15. Dusty sang (Don't Fight It, Wishin' and Hopin', You Don't Have to say you Love Me, A Natural Woman and Sweet Soul Music)

16. Scott Walker sang (Amsterdam, the NME then explained why Scott only sang one song?..It was because he intended to sing Joanna but found out that Mike Leander had not had it arranged for his orchestra.

17. The Rolling Stones sang (Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction) it was announced to the audience that the Stones took part in the show completely at their own suggestion.

18. Prize Giving Time...Roger Moore handed out awards to Tony Blackburn, Jimmy Savile, The Shadows, Lulu, Robin Gibb, Dusty and all of the Rolling Stones

19 Finally the show ended with DDDBM&T who sang (Hold Tight, Bend It and The Legend of Xanadu)?

He also added this:

Here's what I can identify in the video: Any corrections welcome:

The Status Quo are definitely the first band at 0.00...
0.55: Don Partridge
1.15: 5 piece group with 2 girl backing singers. The Love Affair I think?
1.37: The Association, I'm pretty sure.
1.44: Paper Dolls
2.00: solo girl singer with reddish hair.. looks like Lulu. She's not listed in the known running order.. maybe an unscheduled addition?
2.24: solo male singer with backing band.. looks like Cliff Richard to me. (Shadows backing him?)
2.44: announcer (Tony Blackbirn) inroduces a 4 piece group who run on stage. Best guess is The Herd (the band seen here has the same bass/guit/drums/keys line up as The Herd.. they seem to have a flamboyant keyboard player who also fronts the group for the first song.. at first I thought this was The Move because of the crazy stage lighting and effects that the band starts with but since there is a keyboard I'm going with The Herd.. be good to have it confirmed for sure though..
3.40: 4 piece group with guit/guit/bass/drums lineup.. could be The Move but doesn't look much like them, esp as Carl didn't usually play guit onstage. Can't see it being Scott Walker either. An unscheduled act? Any ideas?
3.56: Jimmy Savile chucking underwear back into the crowd, unfortunately.
4.03: Dusty Springfield
4.10: Rolling Stones

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 7, 2017 00:18

Fantastic little video clip. I too was surprised by the colors and Brian's vitality.

Date: January 7, 2017 00:19

RipThisBone
jlowe

Because BEGGARS BANQUET sold enough copies the month it was released in 1968.

BLUE & LONESOME was GOLD in one week in the Netherlands last december.

Neither Jumpin' Jack Flash or Beggars Banquet were released when this was filmed, the band received an award for "Best R&B Group 1967". It was, after all, the NME Poll Winners concert.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 7, 2017 00:33

john lomax
This is so interesting. It looks like Keith has the capo at the fourth fret and so is playing (as he currently does) in open G. This is different to the Rock n Roll Circus version where he plays it in Open E. This is interesting because I always thought that he originally recorded JJF and SFM in open E and then only started playing them in open G from 1969 in Hyde Park. Thoughts anyone?

No capo at NME and he used standard tuning at R&R Circus.

Date: January 7, 2017 00:36

Redhotcarpet

And we have this footage but we need sound

We already have sound for that.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2017 00:41

ROCKMAN

Date: January 7, 2017 00:54

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: January 7, 2017 00:55

Wow! After all these years. Brian definitely looks like he had his shit together.

Date: January 7, 2017 00:58

His Majesty
TeddyB1018
That footage - wow. Brian looks so lively and present compared to the R&R Circus. Maybe the big live crowd had a different feel than the television taping, or it wasn't five AM.

Possibly that, but also this was pre - 21st May drugs bust and drawn out wait for court appearance in September.

This was something that appears to have crushed his already very fragile being, seriously affecting his interest in himself, the stones. sad smiley

There is a notable difference between the Brian of spring 1968 and the end of the same year.

True, but Brian was a no-show at most of the BB recording sessions pre the concert (and after).
The day before the concert they filmed the JJF video. Brian wearing very heavy make up, I recall.

Date: January 7, 2017 01:00

ROCKMAN

Date: January 7, 2017 01:18

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 7, 2017 01:21

"You give me roses, I give you shoe" smiling smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 7, 2017 01:32

The great thing about this whole gig is the late Stones '69 look with Brian involved.......he would have fit in the '69 tour...........and probably would have outshine with his slide in "No Expectations"

Date: January 7, 2017 01:34

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 7, 2017 01:40

Thanks Rocky looks like we are not far away for a Blu Ray release..............smiling smiley

Date: January 7, 2017 01:44

ROCKMAN

Date: January 7, 2017 01:56

Date: January 7, 2017 02:36

NME May 15, 1968.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 7, 2017 02:40

His Majesty
Redhotcarpet

And we have this footage but we need sound

We already have sound for that.

I forgot!

Date: January 7, 2017 02:43

ROCKMAN

Date: January 7, 2017 02:48

ROCKMAN

Date: January 7, 2017 03:01

jlowe

True, but Brian was a no-show at most of the BB recording sessions pre the concert (and after).
The day before the concert they filmed the JJF video. Brian wearing very heavy make up, I recall.

Some not most.

They were filming, the others had make up too, but ther is the non make up version too. So, the make up was for effect, nothing else.

Date: January 7, 2017 11:25

Is that photographer and friend Michael Cooper in the Anita/Marianne photo?
And the woman standing behind Anita.....any ideas?

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 7, 2017 13:17

There is another mysterious concert which was filmed by the BBC but nothing is known if the tapes exist or not: one of the Shows at Wembley Empire Pool in September 1973.

I always wonder that nobody has any contact with the archives of the respective TV stations to figure out if the tapes still exist. If the 1968 concert was such a huge success they could have been preserved for a repeated broadcasting.

The second question is whether an independent soundboard recording was made so at least the Sound recording would exist. There is a higher chance of remaining Sound reels than of picture tapes.

Once I wrote to Bill Wyman and asked him these questions but he did not respond. Just my luck!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 7, 2017 14:22

Rockman

If this was shown on Beatclub isn't there a good chance that it's in their files somewhere. Beatclub and German TV in general were superb in keeping historic recordings like this. I have a mate who is a professional music film researcher so shall ask him to investigate.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home