Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones' Temptations covers
Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: December 13, 2014 15:49

I adore the Temptations. And I adore the Rolling Stones. But somehow I never cottoned to the Stones abundant covers of the Temptations.

The worst was "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)". It was far and away the weakest track on Some Girls and to these ears, stuck out like a sore thumb.

Mick Jagger is a soul man at heart, and clearly loves the stuff. But as a Temptations interpreter, he's no Rod Stewart.

Agree or disagree?

Re: Stones' Temptations covers
Date: December 13, 2014 16:15

Stoner72
I adore the Temptations. And I adore the Rolling Stones. But somehow I never cottoned to the Stones abundant covers of the Temptations.

The worst was "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)". It was far and away the weakest track on Some Girls and to these ears, stuck out like a sore thumb.

Mick Jagger is a soul man at heart, and clearly loves the stuff. But as a Temptations interpreter, he's no Rod Stewart.

Agree or disagree?

Disagree! One of the best tracks on the album, imo. Even better on the Hampton release. That one is perfection.

Ain't Too Proud To Beg is good as well, but it was the Faces who did the best Temptations-covers, imo.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: December 13, 2014 16:19

Disagree.

Think its one of their best covers, along with "That's How Strong My Love Is."

Just listening to JMI yesterday on the Hampton 81 CD.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 13, 2014 17:08

Completely disagree.
Just my imagination from Hampton is not only a highlight of the show, but a highlight in their career.

Date: December 13, 2014 17:10

BowieStone
Completely disagree.
Just my imagination from Hampton is not only a highlight of the show, but a highlight in their career.

+1

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: December 13, 2014 18:08

DandelionPowderman
Stoner72

Agree or disagree?

Disagree! One of the best tracks on the album, imo. Even better on the Hampton release. That one is perfection.

Ain't Too Proud To Beg is good as well, but it was the Faces who did the best Temptations-covers, imo.

Yep!
They like the Temptations very much.
I suddenly remember Ball Of Confusion is one of their favorites and was on the list of songs played before the show. '98 I think...?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 13, 2014 19:46

Aint Too Proud To Beg and Imagination are among my favorite Stones tracks. (Although ATTPB is not one of my favorite live tracks). I don't compare them to the Temps version, its not the point. They give the songs a garage band feel but with an added swagger.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 13, 2014 20:03

I love their take on 'Just My Imagination'! One of my favorite covers of theirs, though my #1 cover is Dixon's 'Little Red Rooster'. I actually loved the way they did The O Jays' 'Love Train' too. My least favorite Temptations cover is definitely 'My Girl'...and I never got into their version of Dylan's 'Like a Rolling Stone' either, for some reason.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 13, 2014 20:10

I remember "Ball of Confusion" playing over the PA just before they went onstage at the Silverdome in Detroit in '97 .... "and the band played on."

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: December 13, 2014 20:16

BowieStone
Completely disagree.

Agree that's one of the very best renderings of that song out there, but a (gulp) career highlight?

Ugh-ugh. Not even close.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: December 13, 2014 21:36

looking for something you like, look for this. don't have the bootleg, but at the voodoo detroit show from dec 1, 1994 they did a smokin'version of "can't get next to you".

sometimes boots don't actually pick up what is pumped out on stage. during the sunday jan,'06 show in boston woody was sick and keith picked up his guitar part for "miss you". keith at his best, but the boot does not come close to the show. hopefully a detroit '94 boot truly captured this show.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 13, 2014 21:42

Agree. I never liked the Stones venturing into these waters. Let the true soul players and singers knock this stuff out, I want my Stones playing dirty Rock and Roll with the occasional sweet ballad.

peace

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 13, 2014 21:48

Just My Imagination is my favorite Stones Temptations cover. When I first bought Still Life in 82, that was my favorite track off of the album. I like the version of Ain't Too Proud To Beg off of the Austin DVD show in 06 even more than the studio version. I think I'm one of the few here that likes their version of My Girl!
I don't think there's any cover tune they've done that I don't like! I hope they eventually officially release Drift Away.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 13, 2014 22:01

Agree.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 13, 2014 22:17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:46 by camper88.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 13, 2014 23:23

Disagree.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: December 13, 2014 23:53

tatters
I remember "Ball of Confusion" playing over the PA just before they went onstage at the Silverdome in Detroit in '97 .... "and the band played on."

Correctamundo!
Memories coming back...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 14, 2014 00:19

camper88
Stoner72

The worst was "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)". It was far and away the weakest track on Some Girls .

Agree or disagree?

Lies.

thumbs up

And then Just My Imagination...never understood why they covered this song...must be for the US market I guess

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 14, 2014 00:22

The Stones covered the Temps - three times - My Girl, Ain't To Proud To Beg and Just My Imagination.

But let's not forget this great Peter Tosh Temps cover, probably at the request of Mick after signing him to Rolling Stones Records.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 14, 2014 00:35

DGA35
Just My Imagination is my favorite Stones Temptations cover. ...
I think I'm one of the few here that likes their version of My Girl!
... I hope they eventually officially release Drift Away.

+1 x3
Ain't Too Proud to Beg shakes my tailfeather mighty mighty fine too - that crazy-ass solo and all :E

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 14, 2014 02:53

Imagination live is a song I find particularly...uninteresting, even tiresome. Many people like it, but I think it is a "weaving" low point for the band.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 14, 2014 03:02

Just My Imagination is sublime on Some Girls and also live. The guitar onslaught on the Some Girls version is beautiful, and Jagger sings it wonderfully. Full of sardonic anger and slurring twang. Great! The version off the 78 tour is amazing. Love it! Its lost a lot of its punch in the later day tours, but still love it.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: December 14, 2014 04:16

I'm probably in the minority here, given everyone's Hampton '81 Lovefest, but I prefer nearly every live '78 version of Imagination to the Hampton '81 version, while recognizing that Hampton does have its charms!

(Well, for me, same can be said for nearly every song that was played in '78 and also at Hampton '81. I'll take '78 every time. Comparing Whip, for example, from Detroit '78 to Hampton '81 is night and day. But straying off topic there I suppose...)

I think the studio version of Ain't Too Proud to Beg is a cool cover, and nicely done.

Date: December 14, 2014 12:41

Silver Dagger
The Stones covered the Temps - three times - My Girl, Ain't To Proud To Beg and Just My Imagination.

But let's not forget this great Peter Tosh Temps cover, probably at the request of Mick after signing him to Rolling Stones Records.

The Stones also played Don't Look Back live in 2002.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 15, 2014 02:46

rocker1
I'm probably in the minority here, given everyone's Hampton '81 Lovefest, but I prefer nearly every live '78 version of Imagination to the Hampton '81 version, while recognizing that Hampton does have its charms!

(Well, for me, same can be said for nearly every song that was played in '78 and also at Hampton '81. I'll take '78 every time. Comparing Whip, for example, from Detroit '78 to Hampton '81 is night and day. But straying off topic there I suppose...)

I think the studio version of Ain't Too Proud to Beg is a cool cover, and nicely done.

You are not alone! I think the 78 live version is the best. More guitar oriented, no sax, and just stunning. And long! The intro itself steals the show. Lovely.

Date: December 15, 2014 09:02

Were the 78-versions really more guitar-oriented?

No sax, that's true, but Keith and Ronnie played a lot more in 81. It also was an extended version.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 15, 2014 09:20

Totally disagree

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1474
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home