Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Which Four Flicks Disc is Your Favorite?
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 25, 2005 22:45

Last night I was watching the Olympia disc, and while the band starts off a little shaky, the performance gets better as it goes along. My favorite features, though, are the documentaries. Favorite performances are 1) MSG 2)Olympia 3) Twickenham.

Is there anyone here who has NOT bought FF yet? In the US, I got it on the first day it went on sale. For $30, it was a steal.

Re: Which Four Flicks Disc is Your Favorite?
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 26, 2005 00:19

none!

Posted by: stonesfool ()
Date: June 26, 2005 00:32

I live in Ottawa, Canada and I'll tell you I had a hell of a time finding this sucker recently. I tried all the major music outlets (HMV, etc.) and couldn't find it. I finally found it at Futureshop (electronics outlet???) after being directed there by the ad at RS.com. What's going on here, didn't it just come out like 8-10 months ago? It's only being distributed in Canada by Futureshop? weird

Anyways, these discs are FANTASTIC!!! I've been playing them incessantly since the purchase.

I'd have to say the Twickenham disc is my favorite. The crowd's really pumped (unlike MSG - but I guess that's the norm for US audiences) and so is Mick - love his crazy dancing at the end of the opener. His energy level is off the wall in this show - it's like he's trying to prove he's still got it for the cameras. He does. (However, anyone else notice how out of breath he looks after IYCRM on the MSG disc? Must have been an off night.) The only lowpoints on the UK disc is the disco/samba version of SFTD and the similarly tainted Gimme Shelter. These songs have become waaayyyy overproduced and slick. Strip them back down a bit, guys, OK?

Highlights:

MSG - IYCRM. Absolutely electrifying. Should've been the opener instead of SFM, which I find falls completely flat in that function.

MSG - Midnight Rambler. Amazing. I thought I was back in 1969. This proves they can still recapture the old magic when they feel like it. Fabulous harp by Mick.

Twick - YGMR. It rocks!!

Twick - Star Star. Perfect for the B stage.

Olympia - Neighbors/Worried About You. I'm gonna have to find myself a copy of Tattoo You. Didn't realize it had so many gems on it.

I also appreciated the two bonus demo/studio tracks on the documentary disc - Well Well/Extreme Western Grip. I actually prefer hearing Mick sing when he's not in front of an audience and "on". (See also the Brown Sugar PC rehearsal and ONNYA vids on RS.com) He sounds much better when he's relaxed and not barking out the songs as he does live.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-26 01:34 by stonesfool.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: June 26, 2005 01:03

Madison Square Gardens, though the uncut version with original mix is better still.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: June 26, 2005 02:57

FF is a great 'collection', but you US fans are lucky bastards. I paid £40 (around $70) for it over here in England.

Stonesfool: I think the reason you had a hard time finding it is because in Canada and the U.S, when FF was released they did a deal with a company called 'best buy' so they were the only people selling it, so i remember being on a holiday in toronto and all the HMV's i went in had temporarily removed ALL of the stones cd's and dvd's from their stores in protest!!

I think i prefer MSG, even though the Olympia setlist is great. I saw the second twickenham show in september, but i was pissed off because it had been postponed from 23rd August (my birthday - @#$%&!!).

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: June 26, 2005 03:14

I prefer the Olympia by a good margin. Surprising setlist. Different kind of humour (Charlie's skit), and Mick's French is great and fun (I am French Canadian)...

But when I want to relive a bit of Montreal Jan. '03, I spin MSG, which is quite close in content and atmosphere.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 26, 2005 05:24

the one with me in it

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 26, 2005 15:57

stonesfool Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in Ottawa, Canada and I'll tell you I had a
> hell of a time finding this sucker recently. I
> tried all the major music outlets (HMV, etc.) and
> couldn't find it. I finally found it at
> Futureshop (electronics outlet???) after being
> directed there by the ad at RS.com. What's going
> on here, didn't it just come out like 8-10 months
> ago? It's only being distributed in Canada by
> Futureshop? weird

It was an exclusive distribution deal with Best Buy/Futureshop. By only having to distribute the prodct to Best Buy, it saved distribution costs and thus, it only cost the consumer $30! A bargain for a DVD box set!

It was great if you lived near a Best Buy or Futureshop (in Canada). Made it a bit difficult on those living in small towns!

However, It sold well as I recall!

Ross

Posted by: drake ()
Date: June 26, 2005 22:23

The documentary disc is probably the best of the four. Was also really suprised by the Twinkenham disc. Particularly the bstage. Granted I probably liked that disc solely for @#$%&.

What blew me away was how mediocre the theatre disc seemed to be on the performance side. Wish they had taken ANY American club gig instead of Olympia.

I, like everyone else in the world, already had the MSG show recorded, so I could honestly care less about that disc. Its great, but since we've all already seen it whats the point of putting it on a live release. Gimme something I havent seen. How about any show with Manish Boy.

I like Four Flicks. And since its not brutally edited (cough... Live Licks. cough cough...) its very enjoyable.

Drake

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: June 27, 2005 00:37

The DVD from MSG, 16th should have been on FF, just have a look at how much they enjoyed themselves (example: End of Angie, when Keith throwed in a final cord and was enjoying like a child) and how good Let It Bleed with Hubert Sumlin was!

Posted by: drake ()
Date: June 27, 2005 07:12

I've heard about the dvd of the first MSG show... Is the quality any good? Sound? I've heard its a better performance...

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: June 27, 2005 08:21

I loke the documentary the most. I think it's a quite honest DVD. I do like Twickenham, because I was there, but you realize that Mick's voice still faded in some songs.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: June 27, 2005 11:02

i prefer olympia...

Date: June 27, 2005 11:41

MSG

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 27, 2005 12:14

Like mots of here I like the documentary disc best. The scenes like Charlie showing the stage Shirley and their grandchild, or Mick jamming "Worried About You", the Stones rehearsing "Midnbight Rambler", etc. are just thrilling, and somehow, most interesting ones in FF. The shots of playing in rain in India, etc. are nice, too.

What goes for the actual concert discs, where the substance suppose to lie, I just usually pick up the highlights:
MSG: "Midnight Rambler" (band sounds amazingly great and swinging sometimes; Keith's opening of the song is fabulous), "Angie" (Mick sings so goddamn great), "Thru and Thru" (because of this version, I started to understand this song, and of course, Keith is so heartfully present); "When The Whip Comes Down" (I just like the way Mick looks while playing the guitar: cool)
Twick: "Wild Horses" (so beautiful; one of the best versions ever; Jagger's vocals are so amazing), "Jumpin' Jack Flash" (Keith simply shows his mastery)
Paris: "That's How Strong My Love Is" (Jagger, once again); "Worried About You (Mick and Charlie's co-work, although Jagger has lots of trouble cope with the falsetto); "Stray Cat Blues (the band manages to sound almost guitar driving garage band; Ron and Keith are almost waving).

There are other great moments, of course, too, but those mentioned I just happen to remember now. Then there are lots of lousy moments too, but let's not be negative now. As a whole, I think the Twickenham show is the best; the standard of the performance is high throughout the show; also the feeling a big stadium show is nicely represented. The Paris show is clearly the weakest in performancewise.

- Doxa

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 27, 2005 12:33

Documentary.

Posted by: Star star ()
Date: June 27, 2005 13:25

Olympia-I think "That´s strong my love is" is in the top of the highlights.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 27, 2005 14:28

The Documentary, by a long stretch.

My favourite live disc is Twikenham. However, I will add that I think MSG was the bands best performance out of the three. Ronnie produces a perfect solo on If You Can't Rock Me, while his effort on Wild Horses at Twikenham is pathetic.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 27, 2005 17:19

LA FORUM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> none!
>

That is too bad, you must not like what the Stones are doing these days.

For me its a hard choice between the MSG disc and the theater one, both have great moments. A few being MR and WAY.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home