Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Down the road apiece....
Posted by: Local27 ()
Date: June 24, 2005 22:03

I was hoping a few of you could tell me about and/or where to find a copy of "Down The Road Apiece". A song which according to the Love You Live website was only performed five times on the '81 tour. I've never heard it. Is it on a bootleg somewhere out there?

"I'm the bleeding volcano"

Re: Down the road apiece....
Posted by: drake ()
Date: June 24, 2005 22:19

I have a few versions of it from 81. Suprisingly on soundboards. Rattlesnake has released several excellent recordings from that era. Full concerts of which I believe is strictly the house PA mix. Drop me an email ([email protected]) and I'll be glad to send you a wma or mp3 of it, whichever you prefer.

Drake

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 25, 2005 00:38

I'd love to hear this song again. However, without Stu it would be lame.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 25, 2005 03:19

If you can, check out the version my Amos Milburn
(which I believe is the original). Great boogie-woogie stuff.
Berry's version is also first-rate.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 25, 2005 04:15

Studio version on Rolling Stones No. 2 (Decca) the 2nd English release.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 25, 2005 05:54

Down The Road Apiece penned by Don Raye. Original by Amos Milburn from 1948 is easy to find. Ray McKinley and Freddie Slack both did great boogie versions in the mid fifties but are very hard to find on record or CD.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 25, 2005 18:35

There's a 3 cd set under the "Capitol Blues Collection" series, "Amos Milburn: Blues Barrelhouse & Boogie Woogie 1946--1955" (1996) that is out of print but was widely available until a couple years ago...In the US it's on "Now!" & the song that jumped out at me when I first got that album in the 70s.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 25, 2005 20:02

In agreement with you john r.

When I bought The Rolling Stones Now! it was certainly the song that kept me going back. It's one of the finest Richards/Jones weaving guitar moments on record.

I's certainly like to hear the Stones bash it out on the next tour, though Ian Stewarts gentle tinkering would result in a Leavel keyboard fest today

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 25, 2005 20:24

I think the mix on this song was simply one of the best ever done by the Stones. You can hear everything being played like its right there in the room with you.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: June 26, 2005 05:30

chugga-chugga...check out the version by merril moore on the "swing west!" compilation, volume three western swing on the razor & tie label...stew would've loved it...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home