Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: R.E.M.
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 25, 2005 03:32

I can't think of any band that's less Stones-influenced, but I love them. Right now, I'm cranking up "Monster". That's a great rock n roll album, and long live tremolo! Yes, Peter Buck gives the tremolo rhythm guitar a workout on this one, and it is masterful.

A new catch-phrase for everything wonderful in rhythm guitar is now to be beaten to death--tremolo! LOL

Seriously, though, Peter DOES sound great on this album. It's hyponotic and catchy, too. A big departure from the jangly guitars of previous records by this band. Asa side note, one of favorite tracks on this album is "King of Comedy", which I don't think they've ever performed live. The closest I can describe this song is "punk disco".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-25 03:41 by bassplayer617.

Re: OT: R.E.M.
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 26, 2005 02:18

King of Comedy is also my favourite on that album - apparently it's Stipe's least favourite (theres a cool remix of it on one of the CD singles - normally I cant stand these, but its quite good)

Ignoreland is my favourite on Automatic for the People - he's been quoted as saying he doesnt like it either!

So, what the hell do I know?

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: June 26, 2005 02:49

I realy like R.E.M too, but I don't think their latest album is that great. I have played it a few times, given it a chance bit it has failed to set me on fire. (Which is just as well as that would be painful.)

Now, Brian Wilson live last Wednesday in London was BEAUTIFUL.

I am seeing REM in Hyde Park next month, i'm sure it will be a great gig, i just hope they don't do a 'U2' and play over half the new album!

One of my favourite REM songs is 'The Great Beyond', a non-album single from the Jim Carey movie.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: June 26, 2005 04:13

My all-time favorite R.E.M. album is "Automatic for the People"...it captures so many deep-felt emotions, and one of my favorite tracks is seldom mentioned--"Try Not to Breathe".

What is sometimes forgotten is that Led Zep's John Paul Jones scored the orchestration on several songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-26 04:18 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 26, 2005 05:16

Mr Jimmy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am seeing REM in Hyde Park next month, i'm sure
> it will be a great gig, i just hope they don't do
> a 'U2' and play over half the new album!
>

I saw them in belfast in February and (from memory) they played about 5 off it and also did as one of the encores a brand new song called "Hey DJ" or something which was pretty good

Incidentally, in case you didnt know, the Hyde Park show will be live on Radio 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home