Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dick Cavett's show DVD with some Stones stuff.
Posted by: joelle ()
Date: June 24, 2005 12:32

[today.reuters.com]

'Cavett Show' boasts last-minute Stones addition
Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:06 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A late thumbs-up from Mick Jagger has forced the distributor of a DVD featuring musical performances from "The Dick Cavett Show" to postpone its release by two weeks to Aug. 16.

In addition to segments featuring the likes of David Bowie, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Janis Joplin and George Harrison, "The Dick Cavett Show: Rock Icons" will now boast almost 15 minutes of the Rolling Stones.

Jagger has allowed archival label Shout! Factory to include performances of "Brown Sugar" and "Street Fighting Man" -- albeit trimmed to two minutes each -- filmed during a July 25, 1972 performance at Madison Square Garden in New York, and two backstage interviews he did with Cavett. The segment aired on Aug. 4 of that year.

"The Dick Cavett Show," which ran from 1969 to 1975, mixed lively debate on topical issues like Vietnam and women's rights with celebrity interviews and musical performances. All the guests would remain on stage for the entire show, making for some interesting interactions. The three-disc set carries a suggested retail price of $39.98.

Re: Dick Cavett's show DVD with some Stones stuff.
Date: June 24, 2005 13:54

Luckily, we have those two songs performed in their entirety. Now, I'd like to see the whole show!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: June 24, 2005 13:59

If you never saw the original interview Cavett asks Jagger can you see yourself doing this at 60? Mick replies "Yeah, sure Marlina Dietrich still does it at her age".

Mick also equates his performance on stage to that of a stripper.

It also proves Mick can open the vaults when he wants to!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 24, 2005 14:10

might be worth getting as well if they include the interview with Ali and Joe Frazier where a fight broke out when Ali called Frazier "ignorant". Great fun

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 24, 2005 15:19

That was good TV. The scene with Ali and Frazier was hilarious. Thing is: Frazier really was a complete moron. Good boxer/bull, but STOOPID, oh mama..
The quote about Marlene Dietrich from Jagger used to be on a boot. "Jean Clarke Sonic BBQ". Don't know if it';s still on the current copies. The vinyl BBQ was one of the first boots I ever had. That quote from jagger was also one of the first timers I heard Jagger talking. I loved, LOVED the way he says "Marlene..she still does it"

NP Mercury Rev "You and me and Hercules in between..."

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 24, 2005 15:26

The jean clarke was also one of my first boots as well.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: June 24, 2005 18:25

Wonder how this was recorded. Anyone who knows? I assume it's a soundboard recording, but can it perhaps be something like the BBC-recordings from London and Brussel '73? In my opinion The Brussels\London shows were a dissapointment, after listening to the resent half hour of earing. -I mean, when it comes to the quality of the recordingwinking smiley Anyway it would be fun if the quality of the two songs was so good that it would give us an idea of how a Rolling Stones live album from the same year would have soundedsmiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 25, 2005 03:00

well, the Cavett show is in widespread circulation - as are the songs from the unreleased 1972 live album, so I think we already have a good idea of what such an album would have sounded like

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 25, 2005 18:07

I remember that was the show on which Dick interviews Bill Wyman, who's smoking a joint, & says to Bill "you're burning your cigarette down to the filter," or "your fingers,"....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 27, 2005 11:43

It's amazing how tough Mick still is what goes for releasing his old stuff; "trimming" the songs to two minutes, and so on. He wants to be in charge of everything. It sometimes feels that there is a treasure that he keeps on hiding from the world. Well, actually, there is...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-27 11:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: June 27, 2005 12:04

The Menace of Mayfair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Luckily, we have those two songs performed in
> their entirety. Now, I'd like to see the whole
> show!
>

Nope, only 2 min per song.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: June 27, 2005 18:03

How much do you want to bet Taylor's leads are what get's cut!!!! MLC

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: June 27, 2005 18:19

MLC give it up already. You sound like a such an unhappy person.

Date: June 27, 2005 18:48

Hey JJ - would just like to see Taylor acknowledgements get credited, sorry
if I have to point out that Jagger still holds a grudge and screws this guy
to this day - MLC

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 27, 2005 19:20

I would probably hold a grudge if I had a band and my guitarist walked out on me right before a world tour.

But that is a pretty weak grudge if they still played together and talked afterwards. Seems like the grudge was created more by upset fans rather than the band. I have only heard Jagger say nice things about Taylor.

Date: June 27, 2005 19:24

H- Dog - Taylor has stated that Jagger still hasn't forgiven him for leaving.
and if I been screwed like Taylor was for writing credits & $$ - I'd have walked out too!! MLC

Date: June 27, 2005 20:11

Dont't think this is a Taylor\Stones issue.Sometimes one can get the impression that the band didn't tour the whole '70's, (with the exeption of "Love you live"). Also in favor to Taylor, you can say that when the Stones is all history, and Jagger is the only one left, he's counting on the very best of the live material to keep the money rolling in...

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 27, 2005 20:22

To maintain his rock status god like persona and maintain those cash inflows
from the rolling stones money machine you would think that he will release the
very best 72/73 live material.

BUT he will wait until they stop touring because it would be embarrassing to
hear what they used to sound like vs how they sound like with the current
lineup.

Date: June 27, 2005 20:51

Who knows what Mick or Keit thinks. Maybe thei're just not interested in the past. Perhaps nothing from the "golden" live period ever will get releasedsmiling smiley

Date: June 27, 2005 21:24

The stones marketing camp sured CARED - when they started to bill the stones
the greatest rock and roll act when newly arrived Mick Taylor joined ON.

Date: June 27, 2005 22:09

STP - Trust me they care, and they don't appreciate the comparisons between
the Taylor years and now. It so obvious with the non-release of: Ladies & Gents

MLC

Date: June 27, 2005 22:26

This just never stops. With the exception of R&R Circus which was generally put out by the record company and not the Stones. What DVDs, that weren't already out on video, have the Stones put out besides current releases. They didn't even like the idea of remastering old albums at first but finally agreed with Virgin to do so as long as the sound was not changed much, just improved. Jagger talked about trying to get Ladies and Gents put out on the BBC up until the early 80's.

Jagger has said numerous times and even as recently as the Rolling with the Stones book put out in 2002 that Taylor is one of the best guitarists he has ever worked with. What else do you want him to do get on his hands and knees and give him oral sex. I am sure there are a few people on this forum that would jump all over an opportunity like that.

Date: June 27, 2005 23:16

JJ - asking Taylor to guest on a few show's would be a start, they know Taylor's
hurting money-wise, but where are they?

Jagger's already smarting from the "fact's" of the song writing credits, and
would never admit to holding a grudge against Taylor, but Taylor says it's there
and that's enough for me. And like I said, it's 100 to one that Taylor's
part's on those songs in the Cavett DVD will be the one's "trimmed", not
Jagger vocals or Richards rhythms - MLC

Date: June 27, 2005 23:53

I think you hit the nail on the head, MCDDTLC. Nobody's screaming for post-Taylor live material to be released, are they? We all want the '69 - '73 shows soundboard collection. The Stones don't want to 'fess up that they royally f8cked Mick Taylor over by repeatedly shafting him during his time w/them over writing credts (and giving him a share in their whopping royalties empire).

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: June 27, 2005 23:55

Please tell me when Taylor has ever said that Mick or Keith holds a grudge against him. And not sure if you noticed but the Stones have always trimmed (for the worse) guitar solos on released live stuff. And yes, Keith's solos too. Rock Me Baby, Beast of Burden and others had trimmed Keith solos on Live Licks. Actually Mick's vocals as everyone here knows were badly edited on Live Licks also.

But in all honestly it is very amusing hearing your theories how everyone is out to get Taylor. As a Taylor fan from a long time ago I think it amusing and I am sure the man himself would think so as well.

After a Taylor gig in London a few years back a fan yelled to him "how often do you talk to Jagger," he replied he calls me very often to see how I am doing and remembers to call him often to ask how him and his family is. He seemed very honest about this. Then answered other questions about the Stones before leaving. However nobody askd the dreaded question about why he left.

Date: June 28, 2005 00:21

JJ - Taylor stated in a interview recently that Jagger:
" still has not forgiven me"for leaving".

I think Taylor's closer to Keith really, at least they played together at
that NY Club and it was at Keith "personal" invitation that Taylor played with
them in KC, back in 83. I know know if they are out to get him or keep him
down, although I thought that comment from Ronnie that Taylor passed a message
to the Stones that he was: "hurting for money and has lost his confidence"
was mean-spirited and I wondered where Ronnie got that from or who put him up
to making that statement?? - MLC

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: June 28, 2005 01:11

MCDDTLC Wrote:
> I thought that comment from Ronnie
> that Taylor passed a message
> to the Stones that he was: "hurting for money and
> has lost his confidence"
> was mean-spirited and I wondered where Ronnie got
> that from or who put him up
> to making that statement?? - MLC
>

I thought Taylor's checks from Jump Back and Sucking in the Seventies have allowed him to refrain from touring this year.

A lot of Taylor fans seem to think that the Stones won't invite Taylor (or Wyman), but is it possible we are underestimating the lack of interest Taylor has in such a thing? Whether you think he walked or was pushed, playing a one off gig may have limited appeal for him--unlike, say, his performing relationship with Mayall, which he has renewed on stage and in the studio since the sixties. Without an album to promote, etc., why would Taylor regard this tour any different from the previous six tours, which he didn't hanker after?

Date: June 28, 2005 18:28

The Menace of Mayfair Wrote:
> We all want the '69 -
> '73 shows soundboard collection.

You hit the nail on the head yourself! -Though it would be nice with some stuff from'75,'77, and'78 as well!!smiling smiley

Date: June 28, 2005 18:36

yeah now we have to convince the REAL STONES TOURING PARTY what we all want.
LOL

Date: June 28, 2005 19:03

Smokey - Taylor has stated many times how much he would like to be "bored"
again and play with the Stones - aka he would love to make the kind of $$
the Stones are pulling in right now!
( Bored comment was what he stated as to why he quit)

He would jump at the chance to play again, be it just a one nighter or a few
selected gigs!! MLC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home