Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

About Stonesvikings...
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 30, 2014 15:42

...I mean the website not the old Norse seafarers. What's the deal with that site? Very flashy web design and everything in capitals. I looked up the message board
and saw that the last post was made in January 1, 2014. I recognized a couple of familiar IORR-posters though. But why the low activity on that site?

Re: About Stonesvikings...
Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: November 30, 2014 15:52

Don't know much about the site but there has been activity on other categories on the message board as recently as Nov 20th.

Date: November 30, 2014 19:12

Stoneage
...I mean the website not the old Norse seafarers. What's the deal with that site? Very flashy web design and everything in capitals. I looked up the message board
and saw that the last post was made in January 1, 2014. I recognized a couple of familiar IORR-posters though. But why the low activity on that site?

They've been busy touring?

Date: November 30, 2014 19:30

Yeah, Dandelion. Harassing the French coastline and the British Isles maybe? The Vikings never reached Australia as far as I know. Except for Björnulf maybe...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 30, 2014 19:46

Stoneage
Yeah, Dandelion. Harassing the French coastline and the British Isles maybe? The Vikings never reached Australia as far as I know. Except for Björnulf maybe...

We're still finding their old settlements on the coast of Newfoundland.

I wonder if they've left any old stones 45s amongst the ruins?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 30, 2014 23:03

treaclefingers
Stoneage

We're still finding their old settlements on the coast of Newfoundland.

I wonder if they've left any old stones 45s amongst the ruins?

That is very cool. There are also stories of yellow and red haired giants living amoung the Indians of North America, long before other European settlers "discovered" the place.

Here is a previous thread where some of the members talk about their "club".

[www.iorr.org]

peace

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 30, 2014 23:12

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Are you a member of Stones Vikings then Dandy? Maybe I should apply as my mum is Danish.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 30, 2014 23:14

.... I like Danish pastry

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 30, 2014 23:26

I like danish girls.........actually liked the northern in particular grinning smiley ..........well Rockman what's the similarity between nice girls and pastry....they are both sweet....

Date: November 30, 2014 23:28

....Danish Pastries don't have that much jam .....haaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: November 30, 2014 23:29

grinning smiley
Rockman

Date: November 30, 2014 23:29

grinning smiley

Rockman

Date: December 1, 2014 01:37

Rockman
.... I like Danish pastry

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Date: December 1, 2014 03:41

....oh dear treacle that's no good ... but please don't believe all that you read

ROCKMAN

Date: December 1, 2014 04:25

Rockman
....oh dear treacle that's no good ... but please don't believe all that you read

you don't like Danish pastry?!

Date: December 1, 2014 05:04

....eeeerrr come ta think of it ....not particularly

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 1, 2014 06:24

<<There are also stories of yellow and red haired giants living amoung the Indians of North America, long before other European settlers "discovered" the place.>>

There are more than stories, but actual artifacts. In Cambridge, Massachusetts, on Memorial Drive in the grass by the sidewalk just beyond the banks of the Charles River you will find this tablet which was placed there after a nineteenth-century dig revealed that a very old house had once stood there.

Story and other Viking artifacts from: [www.hurstwic.org]

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: December 1, 2014 10:05

I cannot comment on the homepage other that there are some talks about redesigning it.

But I’m one of the guys behind the Stonesvikings discussion forum. A few words on the history and current status.
The idea behind the forum when we started it just about 10 years back was to create a platform for discussions among Rolling Stones fans in our home region, the Nordic Countries. That did not really take off. Within a year or two the forum kind of developed into a collectors meeting place. That was ok with us as many of the Stonesvikings members are diehard collectors. We had a good run a few years back with around 50-60 active collectors contributing. There is a lot of gold for collectors if you take your time to read through old posts.

We sadly lost some major posters at some point as the forum got too much “matrix number orientated” They went on and opened a collectors forum of their own. I was left almost alone to keep up the speed but as there are also other things in my life than to sit with the forum day and night, I was not able to keep it warm. In April of this year I started up a project around my other passion, old vintage us cars. I put together a car exhibition / show on 9K square meters and about 230 vehicles. THAT project took every day and night and still does to this day even though the show was in the end of September. We just published a virtual 360 degree net version of the show. Just mail me at janrichards@stonesvikings.com if you want more info on that project.

The thing is that a moderator of a forum can only give some kind of guidelines on what is to be discussed. It is all up to the members on how a forum is developing. Some forums are successful, some other are not. Sometimes the forum goes in a direction not planned originally. Just look on this forum for example. A major part of posters are here to whine about concert setlists how boring the concerts, that they do not attend, are and that was not the original intention by the creator.

Another thing is that collectors are a weird set of people and to run a forum focused on collecting is almost impossible. 99% of them would not under any circumstances share any kind of knowledge or information. You know how it goes: “If I tell this secret to another person, then he also knows about it. Which means that he will compete with me for the same set of collectibles that I need to get”. So to run a forum for collectors is extremely difficult. I’m one of the few collectors around that have no problem in sharing information. I have done that through my own stonesondecca page and also by posting here sometimes. stonesondecca has also created a bit of fuzz. Man…You would not believe what kind of messages I have got related to that page. I have been accused of singlehanded destroying the worldwide collectors market for Rolling Stones records by telling about matrixnumbers and pressing versions on UK Stones material. Collectors are a weird set of people.

Having said that, the forum can still be “sawed”. If you are at least a bit interested in collecting Stones stuff, please start posting and share your experience. Naturally you can post anything on the Stones if you want to, like are they all using wigs today or not.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 1, 2014 10:45

I have been accused of singlehanded destroying the worldwide collectors market for Rolling Stones records by telling about matrixnumbers and pressing versions on UK Stones material.

Hats off to you for being unafraid to share information, regardless of the crazy feedback.

Sometimes the forum goes in a direction not planned originally. Just look on this forum for example. A major part of posters are here to whine about concert setlists how boring the concerts, that they do not attend, are and that was not the original intention by the creator.

As far as complainers about setlists on IORR, some believe they are actually influencing the Stones to provide more variation, no doubt there is a demand for it. I just think it's a reflection of the way a lot of real loyal Stones fans who actually attend shows may feel. The Stones themselves are obviously conscious about fans picking the songs....they used the process this tour.

As far as Bjornulf's intentions about what people post about I wouldn't intend to presume, but if it's all adoration and not fans true feelings it would tend to get boring in a hurry. My impression is he created the site for fans to talk and as long as we stay nice and don't talk politics or religion we can talk about set lists all we want. And I've never heard anyone complain about how boring a Stones concert is...confused smiley peace

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 1, 2014 12:31

Hi Jan Richards. I would like to thank you for the great information you shared. You saved me a lot of money for sure, from sellers trying to pass off 2nd or later pressings as 1st pressings. I must be part of the 1 percent myself because I also share information and try to help fellow fans (at least I think they are). Bottom line is I collect for fun and see records as small treasures, a part of Rock And Roll history. But like anything else there are opportunist that will destroy anything out of greed. Keep your chin up, I'm sure you have other (maybe quiet) supporters out there. Cheers.

Date: December 1, 2014 12:35

stonehearted
<<There are also stories of yellow and red haired giants living amoung the Indians of North America, long before other European settlers "discovered" the place.>>

There are more than stories, but actual artifacts. In Cambridge, Massachusetts, on Memorial Drive in the grass by the sidewalk just beyond the banks of the Charles River you will find this tablet which was placed there after a nineteenth-century dig revealed that a very old house had once stood there.

Check spelling winking smiley

[no.wikipedia.org]

Date: December 1, 2014 12:44

Thanks Jan for your honest reply. You seem to be a serious collector whether it's Decca singles or fifties American cars. Maybe the big difference between IORR and Stonesvikings is the turnover rate. There are simply more people posting here than on Stonesvikings. And there is more general discussion here (tell me) as opposed to a more specialized one on Stonesvikings. Say hello to Brandis if you speak to him. That's a great guy!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 1, 2014 12:53

Jan is a cool guy, and I admire his honest, open and brave - not to forget damn informative - contribution to the wicked world of collectors. I wish there'd been more people like him in those circles.thumbs up

I had a pleasure to meet him and some of other StonesVikings in a preparty they arranged for the Stockholm show last summer. A great cover band, and nice people - and nothing wrong with the beer either - set the mind ready for to see the real thing... a fabulous day and evening.smileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-01 12:54 by Doxa.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: December 1, 2014 13:19

Stoneage
Thanks Jan for your honest reply. You seem to be a serious collector whether it's Decca singles or fifties American cars. Maybe the big difference between IORR and Stonesvikings is the turnover rate. There are simply more people posting here than on Stonesvikings. And there is more general discussion here (tell me) as opposed to a more specialized one on Stonesvikings. Say hello to Brandis if you speak to him. That's a great guy!

Thanks Stoneage. Exactly, This place has millions of visitors and our Stonesvikings forum has a few hundred visitors which means that almost any kind of discussion can live over here but not over there.
Brandis is a cool guy, been into Stones since 1965 smiling smiley

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: December 1, 2014 13:43

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Are you a member of Stones Vikings then Dandy? Maybe I should apply as my mum is Danish.

No, I'm not. I got the impression there aren't really many norwegians (or danes) in that barbaric group. Then again, I could be wrong smiling smiley

PS: I've a met a few of them at gigs - and everything they say about them is true grinning smiley

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 1, 2014 15:07

Thanks for posting Jan...your Decca page is extremly valuable...please keep up the great work....

Posted by: Horseswild ()
Date: December 1, 2014 21:52

The problem with the Vikings board in the past say 3 to 4 years is that hardly any Viking members interacted with non Viking members and their contributions !!
Many whom are real collectors.
The only one who tried to keep it running (at least in the open) was Jan and it is him to kindly answer the question put here on this board .

That said it is very hard to keep a Stones collectibles only discussion forum going and interesting , as many collectors now simply share info in their own groups of interest say on Face Book and newer mediums .Even here at IORR most or all of the major collectors who once shared incredible stones info have long gone.

Many thanks Jan to your stonesondecca site and hope you continue to update it and share its information.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 1, 2014 22:15

DandelionPowderman
stonehearted

[no.wikipedia.org]

I suppose you have a "correct" spelling for Norway as well. grinning smiley

Date: December 1, 2014 22:24

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman
stonehearted

[no.wikipedia.org]

I suppose you have a "correct" spelling for Norway as well. grinning smiley

A name is a name smiling smiley

Although "Leif" is more common here than the famous discoverer "Leiv".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home