Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rachel Glucina: My night with Mick Jagger
Date: November 26, 2014 01:07

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

Eight years ago, gossip columnist Rachel Glucina got the ultimate Stones' scoop when she befriended frontman Mick Jagger. This is her account of that fateful night.

So Mick Jagger is lying on the couch beside me in his enormous Auckland hotel suite. He's wearing socks - bright yellow, scare-the-horses socks.

"Mork and Mindy yellow," I suggest. He laughs his deep, horsey, sexy laugh. The night before they'd been black with hot pink and green stripes.

"I love loud socks," he'd said then. At that moment, I loved them, too.

I'm stretched out on the couch next to the most famous ladies' man in music, discussing art and Arsenal, the Kiwi cricketers in South Africa, girlfriends and marriage contracts, drugs and Chinese politics. It's surreal, but also bizarrely normal.

"I've got something special for you, Rach," he says, excitedly, dashing off to bring a bottle of Marlborough chardonnay he'd organised for our last night in this suite. Yes, I spent four fabulous nights with the legendary Mick Jagger - but it's not what you think.

Sure there were copious amounts of flirting, numerous bottles of French champagne and lots of late-night laughs - but that's as rock'n'roll as it got. Well ... almost.

Was it easy befriending a Rolling Stone? Not exactly. There was the burly bodyguard in a bulletproof vest I met the night before the band's Auckland gig last Sunday who said he was on the lookout for "prowlers".

"You know," he explained, "paparazzi, journalists and young women who want to meet Mick and get their picture in the paper." Oh God, I panic. I'm all three of those.

We're sitting in the lobby bar of the Langham Hotel, where Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie had arrived two hours earlier. I'll be honest - I was on an official undercover stakeout for the Herald on Sunday. Perhaps I might catch Mick flirting with a pretty girl. Maybe I'd see someone drink too much. Take drugs. It's gossip, not rocket science. There are 385 people in the Rolling Stones entourage and crew - something had to happen.

Just after midnight Mr Jagger makes a low-key entrance into the bar - the others, I later learn, prefer to party privately in their rooms. "They've got wives and family," it's explained.

My girlfriend and I stay to drink Bollinger Reserve with the entourage while Mick is two seats away and, though I never get to speak to him, it's all terribly exciting.

Next day, the bodyguard - Paris Hilton's former protection - calls. Nice to have met me, he says, and would I like a couple of VIP tickets to the concert? We could catch up afterwards. At Western Springs, I get a text wondering if I'm happy with the seats. Happy? I am a personally-invited guest, sitting a handful of rows from the front and I'm partying with the Rolling Stones later. Happy is an understatement.

Back at the hotel bar, post-concert, Jagger's bodyguard whisks me aside and whispers that Jagger would like to come down - would I mind sitting and talking with him? "He likes pretty girls," he winks. Within minutes, guests are turfed off a couch, chairs have been drawn up and I am being beckoned to sit and await His arrival. Beside me is my undercover sidekick, Olivia Hemus, former model, social photographer, a snappy little camera sitting pretty in her bag. We wait.

The wiry man in the dishevelled shirt with a jersey around his shoulders looks little like the rebellious, arrogant, peacock showman I'd seen earlier on stage. He meanders around the bar then lounges on the couch next to me. And so the fun begins.

Mick Jagger is a talker and the banter never stops. Was the Easter bunny good to him? It was better to his kids, as he'd sent luxurious chocolate eggs all over the world.

"I have seven bloody kids," he laughs. "I could have my own basketball or volleyball team." He brags about his lavish holiday home in the Loire Valley, where he goes to "relax and unwind, though all my friends like to holiday on the Dalmatian coast at the moment". Vacation name-dropping. Bless. I'm impressed.

There's no doubt Jagger loves the company of women - young women particularly. He is an incessant flirt, but charming with it. And there is that Peter Pan complex. He's smitten with our youthful enthusiasm and likes a bit of attitude. Though there is a universe of difference between our lives, he'll compare his various exploits with mine. On my New York travel tales: "Oh yeah, the Chelsea Hotel. I used to visit Dylan when he stayed there but that was before he made his money."

Mick is nothing if not cool but there's still an appealing vulnerability about him. He's theatrical and tactile; he recoils into his thin frame, crossing his outstretched arms across his chest.

He commissions Alexander McQueen and Dior menswear designer Hedi Slimane - master of the thin androgynous look - to make his stage costumes. "I'm getting new ones from Hedi when I get back to Europe," he says. "But I always have to stipulate to him not too thin, I have to be able to move on stage."

He calls the waiter for more champagne. But not for him, he's on water. "Three's my limit and I've guzzled them back already tonight."

And that is just one of the surprises about the debonair but disciplined Mick Jagger.

Over the next few nights, I learn that the man infamous for sex, drugs and Marianne Faithfull never touches cocaine because he can't keep up that lifestyle anymore. He bought champagne for us but won't touch the stuff himself. He hates the bubbles.

His thirst, these days, is for good conversation, a good workout and his own creative work. But that's not to say he doesn't like a laugh. We're sitting side by side on the couch and our thighs are touching.

"Oh my God," I shriek. My thighs are twice the size of his.

He roars with laughter.

He hates going out with people who don't eat. Karl Lagerfeld, he says, never eats.

Despite that tiny frame, I can attest that Mick Jagger eats. Though he spent the next three days in Wellington ("are you coming?" he'd asked - like I was a bona fide groupie. But no, I had to work) his bodyguard rang on Wednesday night to say Jagger would like to go to dinner. We went to Cibo (he makes the booking under the name "James") with Olivia and Victoria, the Welsh woman who runs his LA film production company. The rock star ate quail salad and duck confit - and most of my chocolate dessert.

He drank merlot, sparingly, and water. We talked about, well, tabloid journalism. Jagger's making a film about it and he reckons Rupert Murdoch is worse than George Bush. No accountability, apparently.

Mick knows that I own a marketing company, but he has no idea of my other job - for the Herald on Sunday. Olivia has told him she's studied photography. And, thankfully, he doesn't hate all journalists. Mick prepared for last month's historic tour to China by ringing his old mates to ask what he should know about Chinese censorship.

"I rang Bill Clinton for some advice on what to say to the media," he says. And then he was miffed none of the Western journalists were interested - they just wanted to know what songs he'd had to cut. "I don't care [that the Stones had to cut four songs] - we've got 400 to pick from!"

Mick has flown back to Auckland to film a cameo role in an ABC comedy pilot - the rest of the band, he says, has scattered. "Ronnie's gone to Fiji - he keeps calling himself an Islander," he laughs. He cannot understand why the Americans in the entourage flew straight back to the US. Mick wants to travel - he once ate raw puffin meat in Iceland and is off to Cambodia and Laos with his backpack and Lonely Planet guide for the next two weeks. Daughter Elizabeth, he confides, is holidaying in New Zealand with friends. One of Mick's holiday homes is in Mustique and a rave about the West Indian diet becomes a conversation about Type-2 diabetes and Maori.

Olivia, the undercover photographer, requests a snap. Jagger refuses. He confesses he's been burned recently by a woman he met in a hotel lobby. She wanted a picture with him. He obliged, and found himself front-page news and in a supposed relationship. Olivia begs, saying my mother would love to see it on her birthday next week. Jagger relents, a bit. "Oh sweetheart, let me write your mum a note instead, eh?"

Jagger's paranoia about girls is well founded. There has been the long, long list of lovers and wives and one-night stands but Jagger is still a romantic. He talks about the "beautiful little church in France" where he married first wife Bianca but says, without irony, that people don't always realise the significance of a marriage contract.

"There are two legal contracts - one to your partner and one to the state," he says. Business contracts are more his thing, these days.

On Thursday my phone rings at 11pm. "Hi Rach, it's Mick," he says. (Ohmigod, Mick Jagger just phoned me.) We had planned to go dancing but Mick's tired after filming. Would I like to come over to the suite? "I'm under Mr Cameron."

Tonight he is at his most relaxed. There are those yellow socks (topped by extremely tight grey trousers) and he's jovial, proud he chose wine he thought I'd like and keen to know if I can pick its region. His bags are packed for Friday's flight out, Sade's latest song is on his iPod and he's joking about the differences between his many children.

When Georgia was 9, he tells us, she insisted on going to his local cinema to see the Spice Girls movie. Jagger didn't want to go but his daughter won. And when she wouldn't carry her soft toy, Spot, he did. "She goes 'oh Dad, I can't be seen walking in with Spot', so I have to walk into the movie carrying a stuffed dog."

He obviously loves his kids, but he doesn't mind poking a bit of fun. Will they reciprocate? "Oh yeah," he says. But his second wife Jerry Hall cops more. The kids aren't always enamoured with what Hall wears, telling her she "can't go out dressed like that''. Jagger says he tells his former wife she should wear what she wants.

Hall this week told the Daily Mail in Britain that women should stay away from rock stars.

Me, I'm glad I didn't. Sure, Mick didn't know about my other job, writing for this paper. If he had, chances are my four nights would have been barely four minutes. But the subterfuge was necessary to meet the real man, to find out what a famous rock star is really like.

Jagger was simply the most fascinating man I've ever met. He's sexy, intelligent, learned, enormously funny and passionate. He also never laid a sensual hand on me; always the perfect gentleman, even thanking me for the fabulous time together.

It's 2am now and we're tired. Mick hugs and kisses me goodbye and invites me to visit him in Europe this summer. "Ooh, I'd love to," I confess. London and the Loire Valley, I dream. And wouldn't that be the most perfect follow-up story?

Re: Rachel Glucina: My night with Mick Jagger
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 26, 2014 02:06

People misrepresent themselves to get close to people like Jagger so thay can write a story or become famous by association, and then we wonder why people like him develop such distaste for interacting with everyday people.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 26, 2014 02:34

71Tele
People misrepresent themselves to get close to people like Jagger so thay can write a story or become famous by association, and then we wonder why people like him develop such distaste for interacting with everyday people.

Well, that's true, but I'd think it's also about equally likely that this is true, no?

Date: November 26, 2014 03:27

swiss
71Tele

Well, that's true, but I'd think it's also about equally likely that this is true, no?

Equally likely that what is true? Sorry, I am not understanding. I have had some beers and snacks.

Date: November 26, 2014 04:23

Not sure what to make of this. Since the reporter was not honest with Mick Jagger about her motives then I think there is an equal chance the reporter might not be honest in her writing as well. While she paints a flattering picture she also has everything to gain by doing so. There is no doubt that Jagger's private life is incredibly fascinating to millions of people. I would not be a bit surprised if the actual contact , between the reporter and Jagger, was very minimal and /or completely different than described, and she embellished the hell out of the encounter just to write a "good" story.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 26, 2014 05:42

She wrote the same story, essentially in 2006 after it happened, and it was reported here.

Sadly, at the time I thought I bet that's the last time Mick hung out with a "civilian," someone he just met after a show.
(If true...)

Well, you could be right, igtba.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: November 26, 2014 06:43

This has been posted here before with similar reactions.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: November 26, 2014 07:16

Glucina is known to use questionable ethics to get stories, she doesn't have any credibility in my eyes. Her constant mis spelling of Patti's name shows she doesn't do much research wither. The article seems more of 'I hung out with mick Jagger, look at me' than anything else, stroking her on ego.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 26, 2014 07:22

Four nights and that's all she had to say? peace

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 26, 2014 07:44

She doesn't claim to be a "serious" journalist or a Rolling Stones historian. She calls herself a gossip columnist, nothing else. The story makes perfect sense to me. It follows the usual pattern: "two young girls-night before the gig-bar-body guard pimp-numbers exchanged-VIP-tickets-after-party...". We saw the same in Stockholm this year. The only thing missing is the sex bit (which I think she might suppress). Even the notion about the loud socks is accurate. Kiss an tell? Questionable journalism? Sure, but, most certainly, true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-26 08:48 by Stoneage.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 26, 2014 07:47

71Tele
swiss
71Tele

Equally likely that what is true? Sorry, I am not understanding. I have had some beers and snacks.

You know what? I totally misread what you wrote! And my response was vague as hell. I'll just
pull a Emily Litella here, and say: "Never mind." winking smiley

Date: November 26, 2014 09:01

swiss
71Tele
swiss
71Tele

You know what? I totally misread what you wrote! And my response was vague as hell. I'll just
pull a Emily Litella here, and say: "Never mind." winking smiley

Ah, I thought it was me.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 26, 2014 16:46

its good to be anywhere
Not sure what to make of this. Since the reporter was not honest with Mick Jagger about her motives then I think there is an equal chance the reporter might not be honest in her writing as well. While she paints a flattering picture she also has everything to gain by doing so. There is no doubt that Jagger's private life is incredibly fascinating to millions of people. I would not be a bit surprised if the actual contact , between the reporter and Jagger, was very minimal and /or completely different than described, and she embellished the hell out of the encounter just to write a "good" story.

damn good point. who could ever contradict/refute what she's written?

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 16:56

by the way.....who is she??
a total unimportant text, boring and .....boring

Date: November 26, 2014 17:17

I don't think she would make up a story like this. And what is there to refute about this story? I'm sure there are numerous of young women who could confirm similar stories.
Sir Michael doesn't exactly have the reputation of a greyfriar.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 20:02

Fun read. (Written from the Dalmatian coast...or not.)

Date: November 26, 2014 20:38

News flash: Mick Jagger appreciates attractive women and is capable of behaving like a gentleman. Next?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-27 03:04 by 71Tele.

Date: November 26, 2014 20:45

Stoneage
I don't think she would make up a story like this.

you know her do you?

All that I know is that she admitted being deceitful. As least she was honest about that, unless that was a lie.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 26, 2014 20:52

"...I admit that I'm a liar and don't like to admit anything..."

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 26, 2014 20:53

Whether true or not is second to how she told this story.
A big alarm went off: NUTTER.

Date: November 27, 2014 07:32

The woman isn't important here. You may be right, she may be a lying nutter. It doesn't matter. What's interesting here is the modus operandi of the big rockstar. Because this reveals more about him than ten thousand interviews. Here is a guy in his mid sixties, married, knighted and with seven children who uses his bodyguard as a souteneur to pick up young girls to have sex with (or not) after the concerts. I'm not so sure that that is what constitutes the life of a gentleman as some of you seem to think. But I might just be old fashioned and overly moralistic here...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 27, 2014 15:58

Stoneage
The woman isn't important here. You may be right, she may be a lying nutter. It doesn't matter. What's interesting here is the modus operandi of the big rockstar. Because this reveals more about him than ten thousand interviews. Here is a guy in his mid sixties, married, knighted and with seven children who uses his bodyguard as a souteneur to pick up young girls to have sex with (or not) after the concerts. I'm not so sure that that is what constitutes the life of a gentleman as some of you seem to think. But I might just be old fashioned and overly moralistic here...

I think for sure Mick does operate like that, but I also think its not the complete picture of how he meets girls/people.Seems like a lot of his girls call him a gentleman. I say nice work if you can get it.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 27, 2014 19:17

This woman's piece reminds me of Shirley MacLaine complaining in a memoir that she was the sole female member of the Rat Pack but none of the male members ever laid a hand on her. MacLaine would have liked a hand laid on her.

Date: November 27, 2014 21:02

Stoneage

Married?

Date: November 27, 2014 22:27

You're right, Dandelion. He wasn't married then. My fault.

Date: November 27, 2014 23:25

Stoneage
You're right, Dandelion. He wasn't married then. My fault.

Apart from with Bianca he was never again legally married.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 27, 2014 23:57

I think many people count Jerry, whether tecnically legal or not.

No, not married then, but seeing L'Wren, yes?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: November 28, 2014 01:19

Stoneage

It's the modus operandi of someone on the road. Musicians or tennis pros (famous or less famous) have he same life only it's organized a little different. So yes in his mid fifties he went to clubs after a show with BF and RB to have some fun and who knows take a girl with him... But a bodyguard being 'a souteneur to pick up young girls'...overly moralistic indeed!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 28, 2014 01:39

<<Here is a guy in his mid sixties, married, knighted and with seven children who uses his bodyguard as a souteneur to pick up young girls>>

Date: November 28, 2014 01:58

stonehearted
<<Here is a guy in his mid sixties, married, knighted and with seven children who uses his bodyguard as a souteneur to pick up young girls>>

I'm afraid this is probably his epitaph, at least as far as concerned with relationships.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1931
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home