Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Streets Of Love
Date: November 29, 2014 17:14

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman
Yeah, look what happened to Aerosmith after Angel. They had to include several ballads on every album after PV...

Well, they didn't have to, but they smelled money. Same probably with Mick when he wrote SOL. Unfortunately, schmaltz sells.

Drew

...or so Mick hoped.

Didn't seem to work too well for SOL. Maybe he was Sh*t Outta Luck?!

It was a #1 single, though...

you can be such a sh*t-disturber.

What? Don't say you feel disturbed!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 29, 2014 17:33

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman
Yeah, look what happened to Aerosmith after Angel. They had to include several ballads on every album after PV...

Well, they didn't have to, but they smelled money. Same probably with Mick when he wrote SOL. Unfortunately, schmaltz sells.

Drew

...or so Mick hoped.

you can be such a sh*t-disturber.

What? Don't say you feel disturbed!

No I'm not disturbed, just perturbed.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 29, 2014 18:06

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman

Drew

...or so Mick hoped.

Where? Not anywhere the LP sold poorly I'm going to guess.

Date: November 29, 2014 18:10

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman

Drew

...or so Mick hoped.

It's either Italy or Spain

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 29, 2014 18:50

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman

Drew

...or so Mick hoped.

Unlucky countries...

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 29, 2014 18:58

Eleanor Rigby
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman

Drew

...or so Mick hoped.

Unlucky countries...

According to Wikipedia, it went to #1 in Spain, the Top 10 in Argentina, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Finland, and Canada, and the Top 20 in Norway, Germany, Greece, Italy.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Drew

Date: November 29, 2014 21:23

drewmaster
Eleanor Rigby
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman

Drew

...or so Mick hoped.

Unlucky countries...

According to Wikipedia, it went to #1 in Spain, the Top 10 in Argentina, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Belgium, Finland, and Canada, and the Top 20 in Norway, Germany, Greece, Italy.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Drew

I'd like to apologize on behalf of Canada.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 29, 2014 22:52

treaclefingers
drewmaster
Eleanor Rigby
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman

Drew

...or so Mick hoped.

Unlucky countries...

[en.wikipedia.org]

Drew

I'd like to wonder what you all talkin about from Sweden...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 30, 2014 00:38

We will have to give those country's a pardon for having such awful bad taste... this time around anyway. If the Stones happen to record another schmaltzy piece of crap song and it goes #1 in those country's again, well, fool me once, shame on... someone. And something like that again with... someone.

And that someone is gonna be them!

Alas, that scenario most likely won't happen. A BIGGER BANG is their last studio LP and it certainly looks to remain that way.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: November 30, 2014 01:52

streets of sap.

would have better maybe done ala WH or folky sounding.

or maybe just trash bin it and replace with under the radar.

oh that's right, it's already been released.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 30, 2014 05:02

Don't like it. It ain't no Wild Horses. Weak.

It also seems age-inappropriate to me, like it's a "boy band" song.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 30, 2014 06:42

treaclefingers
drewmaster
Eleanor Rigby
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman

Drew

...or so Mick hoped.

Unlucky countries...

[en.wikipedia.org]

Drew

lol! Apology accepted. Canada and the USA are usually pretty close in musical tastes and charts.

Real rock and roll seldom gets chart success. Here are the best selling singles in Spain:

[en.wikipedia.org]

and in the US:

[en.wikipedia.org]

So yes schmaltz and single success seem to be closely related.

peace

Date: November 30, 2014 09:57

Wasn't RJ the main single that they pushed in the US?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 30, 2014 12:12

Naturalust
treaclefingers
drewmaster
Eleanor Rigby
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
drewmaster
DandelionPowderman

Drew

...or so Mick hoped.

Unlucky countries...

[en.wikipedia.org]

Drew

lol! Apology accepted. Canada and the USA are usually pretty close in musical tastes and charts.

Real rock and roll seldom gets chart success. Here are the best selling singles in Spain:

[en.wikipedia.org]

and in the US:

[en.wikipedia.org]

So yes schmaltz and single success seem to be closely related.

peace

I recently read where 90% of Canadians live within 30 miles of the US Border. I guess the other 10% are busy filming National Geographic Specials spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 30, 2014 12:24

<<I recently read where 90% of Canadians live within 30 miles of the US Border

You mean the Vietnam War draft dodgers haven't come back home yet?

Anyway, it's "an estimated 75 percent of Canadians live within 161 kilometers (100 miles) of the U.S. border.

[travel.nationalgeographic.com]

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 30, 2014 12:31

Ver archetypical Jagger ballad.....but it worked live very very well.........and it was one of the best numbers in the awful 2007 Barcelona Olympic Stadium show

Date: November 30, 2014 12:33

Thanks - I couldn't remember the exact figures. I think Canada has unusual shifts in population at any given time. They certainly visit Florida on a regular basis.

Also, Vancouver is next door to Seattle (Go Hawks!!) & Montreal to Buffalo. Furthermore, Toronto is one of the most populous cities in North America. Go figure?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 30, 2014 15:40

drewmaster

[en.wikipedia.org]

Drew

I don't know how much the single charts are nowadays based solely on radio play. If you - and your record company - get your song into high rotation, it will chart high, I guess.

That top ten charting of "Streets of Love" in Finland amazes me. Yeah, I recall hearing it played regularly in radio at the time, but I never heard it in anywhere else, no one talking about it, and I don't know any singular person around here who had bought the single (including me)... Absolutely not any buzz, like it once was with so called 'hits'... Today no one remembers the song, I am rather sure (except some Stones nerds like me).

So as far as single charts go at least in a small market like Finland, I don't think they actually mean very much any longer. Reflecting something which does not resonate with actual impact.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-30 15:46 by Doxa.

Date: November 30, 2014 15:58

Well, I remember this song distinctly. It is the primary cause of PTSD.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 30, 2014 16:09

Redhotcarpet
Angie and Fool to cry sound and are real Stones numbers. Streets of love is a solo project. Another difference is Mick's vocals.

Totally agree, but even more, for me at least, it was the repeat of same type of track album after album. I actually like Out of Tears and Already Over Me, but then it seemed like he was becoming Aerosmith, and had to include the same type of power balled on each album:

Out of Tears
Already Over Me
Don't Call Me Up
Streets of Love
Following The River

That I just got sick of it, same as I did with Aerosmith. Of course Aerosmith was much worse as they were making 1/2 of all their songs on each album sound like that.

That being said, I must say, I do love Never Gonna Change on the SuperHeavy album, but he went away from the piano to the guitar at least, with much better lyrics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-30 16:11 by LeonidP.

Date: November 30, 2014 16:20

Since the history of IORR covers the whole life of "Streets of Love", I checked what I have said about it along the years (so no need to say anything nowgrinning smiley).

July 29, 2005, in my first reflection of it, I sounded rather open-minded:

It's not the first time that The Stones is releasing quite unorthodix song as the first single. Time will tell that will "Streets of Love" follow the route of "Angie" and "Miss You" and to be considered one of the big Stones songs and find it's natural place in their set list - or the path of "Fool To Cry" and "Emotional Rescue" that still sound very controversial and odd songs in Stones catalog.

I like the song, though. But I Arjan's point of the negative effects of Mick's solo records is valid. But we have to notice that big audience do not know that stuff. For them SOL might sound interesting and not so common Stones music. A hit probably?

Then after some days, August 3, 2005, I sounded very positive:

It's a good song. Verses could have been more imaginative, but the chorus is catchy. I think it's better than "Out of tears", the song I've always taken to be too forced.

I also like the attitude of Jagger (and the Stones) to do "something totally different" once in a while, and like showing a middle finger to the most of the one track minded fans of the band who wants to determinate how the band supposed to sound. I think that's the reason why John Lennon liked "Emotional Rescue"...

I suppose it will do some diversity to the album.

Then, next summer, I was seemingly (over)thrilled of the band playing the song during European Leg of A BIGGER BANG (July 5, 2006):

Yeah, it took a year or something, but after seen the set lists in Milan and Vienna, I draw the conclusion that the band seemed finally have realized that they released quite a capable album a while ago! Now, one can say they finally changed the theme from the Licks tour to A Bigger Bang tour. They almost sound a living and breathing group now!

And funniest thing is that the new songs, especially "Streets of Love" are recieved very nicely. Why on earth they waited a year to realize the potentia of their 1st single of the album? Either (a) European crowds are thought be not so conservative ones as the earlier ones, or (b) the guys themselves didn't believe the strenght of their new album = their acceptance among the audiences. Bloody Jagger always try to do it safe way, without riskys involved. They never seem to learn the lesson that their audiences not just wait "Brown Sugar" and "Satisfaction". Underestimation, I think.

Anyway, I hope they will keep the trend - and play another potential new pleaser, "My Mistake" as soon as possible! And the Twins, come on and share the same mic on the chorus!

But then, some years later, my positivism seemed to have vanished (January 13, 2009):

I'm with PalaceRevolution that The Stones have the ability to better their songs on stage - I think this is especially true of their recent songs. And the reason for that is that they don't work the songs properly enough in studio anymore. They left them into half-hearted torsos. When they brought them to the stage, and try to play them seriously, they found new nuances, new sides on them, almost like finishing them finally. For that reason I think songs like "Out of Control", "Don't Stop" and "Streets of Love" have a new dimension when done live.

But to be honest, I've tried to like "Streets of Love", to find some great sides in it (the 'Miss You'-like chorus, etc,) but I finally gave up... and don't care if I ever heard it again..

I guess I haven't changed my stance as far as the last sentence goes....grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-30 16:23 by Doxa.

Date: November 30, 2014 16:36

Songs like "Out of Control", "Don't Stop" and "Streets of Love" have a new dimension when done live.

Out of Control is a variation of the Temptations' Papa was a Rolling Stone

Don't Stop is underrated and served well played on the Licks Tour. It's a very good song but not great.

The other song is not up for discussion.

Date: November 30, 2014 16:51

Chris Fountain

Except for the last five pages here...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: November 30, 2014 17:59

Chris Fountain
Thanks - I couldn't remember the exact figures. I think Canada has unusual shifts in population at any given time. They certainly visit Florida on a regular basis.

Also, Vancouver is next door to Seattle (Go Hawks!!) & Montreal to Buffalo. Furthermore, Toronto is one of the most populous cities in North America. Go figure?
It's number 4, behind Mexico City, NYC and LA, but ahead of Chicago.

Date: November 30, 2014 18:00

Anyway, I hope they will keep the trend - and play another potential new pleaser, "My Mistake" as soon as possible! And the Twins, come on and share the same mic on the chorus!

Ironic Doxa, that your 'biggest mistake' here was in forgetting the actual name of the song!

Date: November 30, 2014 18:08

treaclefingers

Ironic Doxa, that your 'biggest mistake' here was in forgetting the actual name of the song!

>grinning smiley<

My mistake, indeed...

- Doxa

Date: November 30, 2014 18:15

Doxa
treaclefingers

>grinning smiley<

My mistake, indeed...

- Doxa

I just take it as an indication of the actual 'importance' of that song to you!

Date: November 30, 2014 19:10

Chris Fountain
Songs like "Out of Control", "Don't Stop" and "Streets of Love" have a new dimension when done live.

Don't Stop is underrated and served well played on the Licks Tour. It's a very good song but not great.

It's even more a variation of I'm Losing You.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-30 19:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: November 30, 2014 23:54

it's a nice mellow and soothing song, you idiots!!!

btw, fool to cry is in my top 5 stones tracks...so frkn cool.

Arg, even the average stones fan is so....average

eye rolling smileyeye rolling smileywinking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 1, 2014 06:41

Chris Fountain

"Variation" is kind.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home