Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones 1960's multi-tracks
Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: November 21, 2014 13:59

Do ABKCO or The Rolling Stones have the multi-tracks of their 1960's sessions?

I love the mid 1960's run of albums, Out Of Our Heads, Aftermath, Between The Buttons, Their Satanic Majesties Request, but they could benefit from having a remix and even better mixed for surround sound.

Their Satanic Majesties Request in 5.1 surround sound would be mind blowing! hot smiley

A lot of bands are going down that route, remix, 5.1 surround and original mixes contained on deluxe editions of albums.

Re: Rolling Stones 1960's multi-tracks
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 21, 2014 15:21

fuzzbox
Their Satanic Majesties Request in 5.1 surround sound would be mind blowing! hot smiley

LOL! Jagger would have LOVED that in 1967. Not just the cover image in 3D, the whole record in paranormal multi-dimensional technicolor spiritual splendour.

Anyway, I agree, I would love to hear some of their pre-1968 albums remixed. The very earliest recordings might be impossible to remix, though, since they were perhaps recorded directly to 2-track.

Date: November 21, 2014 15:28

Good point on the very early recordings. When did they first record on a four track tape machine?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2014 15:34

The first LP that wasn't recorded on a 4-track was Let It Bleed if I recall correctly. All records prior were recorded on a 4-track. Somebody - Beatles or Stones - synced two 4-track recorders together at some point...

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 21, 2014 17:51

I think the recordings at Regent Sound (certainly 1st LP) were 1 or 2 track with a tape to tape plus performance for overdubs. Could be wrong on that.
The state of the Stones Decca/ABKCO archives is one of the big mysteries of the Stones recording career. It is entirely plausible that there are no multi tracks left as possibly for Regent Sound there were not multi tracks as such, Olympic dumped many of the tapes left in storage (hence the Satanic reels?), ditto for Pye and the tracks recorded in the USA ,may have been left there once the tracks were mixed.
Of course i could be completely wrong. I wish ABKCO would be more forthcoming. There would be a market for a book similar to Lewisohn's Beatle book. Sure there'd be gaps due to the problem of them recording in different studios in different countries but someone with keen eyes and ears could surely do some kind of reconstruct from the tape boxes.
Decca did used to keep matrix lists for their artists. I've seen a couple for billy fury listing date, title and matrix number. Maybe that kind of thing still exists somewhere for the Stones?
Who knows ?

Date: November 21, 2014 18:16

It baffles me how artists can be so unconcerned about the preservation of their work. Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 21, 2014 19:56

It is hindsight. To be honest we're lucky there's as much left as there is including even the original master tapes to albums/singles assuming they are still around.
Don't get a Brian Wilson fan like me started on the missing Smile multitracks or the fact that EMI disposed of many of their 4T tapes in the early 70s (i am led to believe) except for the lovable mop tops. That's Syd's Pink Floyd gone to landfill or magneto right there.
Whole years of some BBC pop radio session shows are gone too save for one or two songs. It's a miracle that so many tapes of the fabs, stones, who,kinks,yardbirds,animals,them etc have survived at all. Them recorded Boogie Chillun and Mystic Eyes for bbc radio. I'd seriously like to have heard those. maybe some enterprising youth has 'em somewhere on reel to reel.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 20:29

The only track that has been released in 5.1 is Sympathy For The Devil in 2002 when the hybrid SACD's were released. That song was released as a CD single. It sounds awesome in 5.1 on my SACD player.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 21, 2014 23:16

fuzzbox
It baffles me how artists can be so unconcerned about the preservation of their work. Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course.

If the knew then what they know now they wouldn't unconcerned about their work....especially for the dollars and us lunatics who would by the stuff .....music back then was like bubblegum and they didn't look back what they did.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2386
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home