Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Barrence Whitfield & The Savages at the East Village Arts Club, Liverpool. Wednesday 19th November 2014.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 20, 2014 23:15

Hello,

From the band's own LP cover: "A soul screamer of the highest order. The Savages lay down a groovvy racket so thick and greasy, you'll need a moist towelette near the hi-fi."
Hard to argue based on last night's steamrollerin'! 80 minutes for £13? Blimey Maisey.
There were elements of The Stooges & MC5 as well as the more obvious influences. Mr W. obviously has a ridiculously powerful voice, and a fair old range too but the band's secret weapon is guitarist Peter Greenberg. In a word, a machine! The rest of them are no slouches obviously: with the demise of the JJR, these guys are now my 'go to' retro but still kick-botty band.

And the inevitable, awful YT clip, hah-hah-hah!

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T Barrence Whitfield & The Savages at the East Village Arts Club, Liverpool. Wednesday 19th November 2014.
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 20, 2014 23:26

Thanks for sharing! I dig that kind of stuff... After using the video you linked as bait, I was hooked by this one:

I'll be looking for more this evening.

BTW: since I'm always in search of 'retro but still kick-booty bands', re: your post... Who is "the JJR". I had hopes a couple of years ago for Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears but wasn't impressed with their most recent album.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Re: O/T Barrence Whitfield & The Savages at the East Village Arts Club, Liverpool. Wednesday 19th November 2014.
Date: November 21, 2014 00:26

Hi Mr DJA,

Sorry- I shouldn't have used my usual abbreviations...the JJR was the Jim Jones Revue. I say 'was' because they played their last show a couple of months back.
They were a one-trick pony, but a very enjoyable one. Again YouTube will give plenty of examples of their work!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: November 21, 2014 01:34

Blimey that's a name that's taken me back. I remember Andy Kershaw mentioning them a lot on Whistle Test 30 odd years ago.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: November 21, 2014 05:14

Love Barrence!

Over the summer I went to the Record Exchange in Salem, MA - where I bought my first Stones Decca album (a mono Out Of Our Heads) 30 years ago - and Barrence was behind the counter. I had to pick up a copy of Dig Thy Savage Soul and have him autograph it.

Great album, great store, great guy! Glad he's back in the game - hope he plays NYC soon...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 21, 2014 16:40

SimonN
Hi Mr DJA,

Sorry- I shouldn't have used my usual abbreviations...the JJR was the Jim Jones Revue. I say 'was' because they played their last show a couple of months back.
They were a one-trick pony, but a very enjoyable one. Again YouTube will give plenty of examples of their work!

Cheers,

Simon.

Gotcha. Although we all ended up here because of the Stones, one of the things that I really like about this board are the referrals to other artists that people provide. I'll be checking out the "JJR" as well this weekend. Between last night's rehearsal and tonight's gig, there was no surfing of youtube for me last night.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: November 21, 2014 22:09

Hi Still, Juan and Mr.,

Yep, Barrence mentioned Andy K. during the show...in fact he was meant to turn-up and do a DJ warm-up set but had to cancel because of the 'flu.

Great story about buying a Stones LP only to have the great man serve you, hah-hah!

You've hit the nail etc...that's exactly why I cherish the folk who post way more than I do, because I have read so much interesting non-Stones stuff and also heard some beautiful music that I otherwise might have missed. Gold rings etc.!

Cheers,

Simon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home