Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Love him or despise him...hes there for a reason
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 20, 2014 06:46

Naturalust
Rokyfan
Play any live Rocks Off post-72, compare with any with Nicky. Just one example. Any rocker, and imagine it with Stu.

Chuck's role is now, I guess, huge. He runs the musical show by default. I guess he's an adequate keyboardist for what the Stones ask and need him to do.

But I have played piano my whole life, by ear, from music and, in my opinion, Chuck's attempts at the Stones songs where piano is important are pathetic.

Piano, not keyboards. That's what I miss.

Piano as in the actual instrument or are referring to a style of playing? Some of the keyboards these days have piano patches which are awfully hard to tell from the real thing. On the Chuck interview on here a week ago or so he talked about his gear with the Stones and I think I recall he is using a different keyboard to get his piano sounds. peace

How about if he tried a piano to get his piano sounds?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 20, 2014 06:52

71Tele
Naturalust
Rokyfan
Play any live Rocks Off post-72, compare with any with Nicky. Just one example. Any rocker, and imagine it with Stu.

Chuck's role is now, I guess, huge. He runs the musical show by default. I guess he's an adequate keyboardist for what the Stones ask and need him to do.

But I have played piano my whole life, by ear, from music and, in my opinion, Chuck's attempts at the Stones songs where piano is important are pathetic.

Piano as in the actual instrument or are referring to a style of playing? Some of the keyboards these days have piano patches which are awfully hard to tell from the real thing. On the Chuck interview on here a week ago or so he talked about his gear with the Stones and I think I recall he is using a different keyboard to get his piano sounds. peace

Piano's are tough to haul around and the sounds from mic'ing them on a live stage with loud guitar amps are sketchy and can be a nightmare to manage. Chuck probably does use a real piano when in the studio and he can be isolated. peace

Date: November 20, 2014 06:53

Naturalust
71Tele
Naturalust
Rokyfan

Piano's are tough to haul around and the sounds from mic'ing them on a live stage with loud guitar amps are sketchy and can be a nightmare to manage. Chuck probably does use a real piano when in the studio and he can be isolated. peace

Thanks for the education. I thought you could put them in your pocket. Peace.

Date: November 20, 2014 07:18

71Tele
Naturalust
71Tele
Naturalust
Rokyfan

You're welcome. I'd bet the piano's you've had could probably fit. peace

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 20, 2014 07:47

You Got to Roll Me
After watching the clip of silver train, there is several times the mick goes to chuck cause he's lost or needs ques or what not....Chuck plays a key roll, and i think that if it wasn't for him, they would be playing the same exact set night after night

I have had that thoughts myself...it's just him left that can remember a set-list...smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 20, 2014 13:35

i want Mac back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 20, 2014 13:42

71Tele
stonehearted
<<If I liked the musical equivelant of meat and potatoes I would probably listen to AC/DC, not the Rolling Stones.>>

You're forgetting what a shepherd's pie is mainly made of.... [hint, hint]

By the way, you spelt equivalent wrong--perhaps you were reaching for another bite of buillobaise and you typed the wrong letter by mistake?

Perhaps. You seem to be more bothered by bad spelling than bad keyboard playing. Any you spelled bouillabaisse wrong, ironically.

This is getting funny. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 20, 2014 14:21

Justin

Hmm...I would say that Darryl is to Keith what Chuck is to Mick. But Keith does not lean on Darryl as severely as Mick leans on Chuck. But what Darryl and Chuck do are somewhat similar; they both frame the band from both sides providing a dummy-proof way for the guys to do their thing while still keeping the whole thing on track. Darryl plays very conservatively (compared to Bill) and this assists the guitar department in staying grounded.

The example of Darryl makes no sense.

DJ plays what he plays because that is his style - style that his "bosses" happen to like. He is not a different bassist when he plays in other combos.

Playing with Darryl doesn't make Keith and Ronnie's life any easier than playing with any other great bassist, regardless his or her style - provided of course, that said bassist locks in with Charlie and is sympathetic with the music.

C

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 20, 2014 14:25

WOW, 4 pages already. Chuck will be very proud

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 20, 2014 14:29

Yeah usually "Chuck sucks" threads pop up when there's no band activity.
To see one being created in the middle of a tour is not common.

Date: November 20, 2014 14:33

liddas
Justin

Hmm...I would say that Darryl is to Keith what Chuck is to Mick. But Keith does not lean on Darryl as severely as Mick leans on Chuck. But what Darryl and Chuck do are somewhat similar; they both frame the band from both sides providing a dummy-proof way for the guys to do their thing while still keeping the whole thing on track. Darryl plays very conservatively (compared to Bill) and this assists the guitar department in staying grounded.

The example of Darryl makes no sense.

DJ plays what he plays because that is his style - style that his "bosses" happen to like. He is not a different bassist when he plays in other combos.

Playing with Darryl doesn't make Keith and Ronnie's life any easier than playing with any other great bassist, regardless his or her style - provided of course, that said bassist locks in with Charlie and is sympathetic with the music.

C

He might be referring to Keith very often stands close to Darryl when he is uncertain about chord changes etc. I think it was Mathijs who first noticed this, during the November 29 concert in 2012 concert in London.

In a way, he is Keith's "cheating note" smiling smiley

Date: November 20, 2014 15:11

DandelionPowderman

He might be referring to Keith very often stands close to Darryl when he is uncertain about chord changes etc. I think it was Mathijs who first noticed this, during the November 29 concert in 2012 concert in London.

If so what does that have to do with the way Darryl plays?

A bassist like Bill era 81/82 can't suggest chord changes?

C

Date: November 20, 2014 15:13

Rolling Hansie
WOW, 4 pages already. Chuck will be very proud

Even more so when he understands how the appreciation for his playing has grown since the plinky plonk days of the licks tour ...

C

Date: November 20, 2014 15:20

liddas
DandelionPowderman

C

I was thinking of the similarities of Chuck's and Darryl's roles.

They both play simpler and more obvious than they would have - to be easily readable for the guitar players. That approach surely affects their playing.

Bill played a walking bass that probably would have lead Keith far, far astray from the root chord smiling smiley

Date: November 20, 2014 17:44

Naturalust
71Tele
Naturalust
71Tele
Naturalust
Rokyfan

What I should have said is that loads of musicians tour with real pianos. I am sure the Stones are capable of handling the technical issues. The issues you raised are relatively minor.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 20, 2014 17:46

71Tele
Naturalust
71Tele
Naturalust
71Tele
Naturalust
Rokyfan

What I should have said is that loads of musicians tour with real pianos. I am sure the Stones are capable of handling the technical issues. The issues you raised are relatively minor.
Stu had that white piano that he used , so they used to truck that around back then .

Date: November 20, 2014 18:19

71Tele

I think Chuck is professional and experienced enough to choose which instrument he wants to play, If he wanted to play an actual piano, no doubt we'd see one on stage. If he wants to play an electronic keyboard I'm ok with it. Best to leave those decisions to Chuck. peace

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 20, 2014 18:27

Despise? Really? Wouldn't dislike or disfavor be enough?

Date: November 20, 2014 18:36

Naturalust
71Tele

I think Chuck is professional and experienced enough to choose which instrument he wants to play, If he wanted to play an actual piano, no doubt we'd see one on stage. If he wants to play an electronic keyboard I'm ok with it. Best to leave those decisions to Chuck. peace

Exactly. And it's his choice not to play a real piano that is just one of my problems with him...

Look, you like his playing, I don't. I think it's competent, but pedestrian. He doesn't put his stamp on anything. Any decent pianist could do exactly what he does on the keyboards. I can't say the same about Ian Stewart, Nicky Hopkins, or Billy Preston. Each had a distinctive style, and each added a unique dimension to the Stones' music. I can't think of one defining "Chuck Leavell moment". Maybe it is because his role is more musical director than keyboardist, but whatever the reasons, I find his playing indistinctive. You disagree? Fine. I can live with that.

Date: November 20, 2014 18:40

71Tele
I can't think of one defining "Chuck Leavell moment".

I can. The HTW solo. It really says all there is to say!

C

Date: November 20, 2014 19:02

Here is some Chuck playing with Keith, great stuff imho. peace

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 20, 2014 19:12

Naturalust
71Tele
Naturalust
Rokyfan

You're serious?

Listen to some live Stones tracks when they had their shit together enough to tackle the enormous task of touring with and mic'ing a live piano.

I like the sound of a piano OK? I don't like the sound of a fake/sampled/whatever piano.

He plays like a keyboardist. Nicky and Stu played like pianists. That's all. What Chuck does when he is isolated in the studio does not interest me.

Date: November 20, 2014 19:36

Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

I like this better

[www.youtube.com]

C

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 20, 2014 19:45

Naturalust
71Tele

Additionally I'm not sure Mick would want the harsh tonality of a piano banging away in his in-ear monitor for the whole show. The softer tone of the electric keyboard seems to do the trick just fine.

Hey I don't like these shortcuts either but this is how the Stones want to make music at this stage. Not much can be done.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 20, 2014 19:51

DandelionPowderman
liddas
DandelionPowderman

C

I was thinking of the similarities of Chuck's and Darryl's roles.

They both play simpler and more obvious than they would have - to be easily readable for the guitar players. That approach surely affects their playing.

Bill played a walking bass that probably would have lead Keith far, far astray from the root chord smiling smiley

Exactly.

Date: November 20, 2014 19:59

liddas
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

I like this better

[www.youtube.com]

C

Hell yeah, that was awesome! Was that Keith singing? thanks. peace

Date: November 20, 2014 20:10

Naturalust
liddas
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

I like this better

[www.youtube.com]

C

Hell yeah, that was awesome! Was that Keith singing? thanks. peace

Yep. I normally don't like these kind of tribute releases, but this Johnny Johnson one was truly great!

C

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 04:58

I don't mind Chuck. He's fine and I don't get the crap he gets. He's not Nicky or Billy, but he sounds ok to me. In fact his piano solo on Honky Tonk Women is fantastic! And he keeps the boys focused and on their toes.

Posted by: seanm ()
Date: November 21, 2014 05:50

The bottom line is this: Chuck is paid to do a particular job on keys for the Stones and he does it extremely well. This does not make him bland, mediocre or any of the other derogatory terms I've read here, it makes him professional.

Is he capable of more? Yes. Much more.
Should he be doing more? No. He's doing what the Stones need him to do at this stage in their careers and doing it superbly.

Date: November 21, 2014 09:01

seanm
The bottom line is this: Chuck is paid to do a particular job on keys for the Stones and he does it extremely well. This does not make him bland, mediocre or any of the other derogatory terms I've read here, it makes him professional.

Is he capable of more? Yes. Much more.
Should he be doing more? No. He's doing what the Stones need him to do at this stage in their careers and doing it superbly.

Well said!

I notice Sam Cutler appreciates Chucks playing too and gives him nod in his recent concert story. The Stones are a guitar band again and judging from Keith's obvious happiness and the fans obvious delight, it's just where they need to be. peace

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home