Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Artwork by Keith up for auction
Date: November 13, 2014 15:03

Two original pieces of artwork, created by Rolling Stone guitarist Keith Richards while he was in New Zealand, are up for auction for the first time.

Richards had a three week stay at Cotter House in Auckland in May 2006 to recuperate after a serious fall in Fiji, and it was here that he produced the artwork.

The current owner of the two drawings was working as the grounds manager and maitre d' at the luxury retreat at the time Richards was there, and he was responsible for assisting the aging rock star with his art requirements.

At the end of Richards' stay, the two decided to swap their original artworks.

The current owner believes one of the works is based on an ancient cave drawing (above), he isn't too sure about the other one, only noting that it looks to be a representation of a religious figure (left). He says he has enjoyed having the works in his home for the past eight years, and is sure the next owners will too.

The artwork is among a selection of original items up for auction via GetStuff.

Other items on offer include a variety of designer furniture acquired from the United States by Mr Bigglesworthy, with perhaps the Charles and Ray Eames' lounger and ottoman the most significant piece available to bid on.

"It is a mid-century classic design statement that a lot of people would recognise, and it's quite exciting to have," says Emma Eagle, who runs Mr Bigglesworthy with her husband Dan.

"The aged leather and timber is all beautifully restored and although it has a useful purpose as furniture, it is also about an investment in design."

And while these pieces come with a price tag that may be outside most people's budget, the concern over our 'throw away' society isn't an issue with these carefully crafted items that have stood the test of time.

"I think it is special to know that something has already had a life for fifty years," says Eagle.

"None of these pieces are easy to get either, so it is nice to be able to show them all in one place."

The auctions for these items are online for the next eight days via GetStuff.

- © Fairfax NZ News

[www.stuff.co.nz]

Re: Artwork by Keith up for auction
Posted by: Plink ()
Date: November 13, 2014 16:37

Pics from the auction listings:

Lovely work by Keith. Thanks for posting this. I've always been curious about his artwork. I recall seeing one simple sketch he did for Patti's Hung On U handbag line years ago, and just recently I came across the hilarious (and obviously very early) "self portrait" below. If anyone has any other examples of his artwork I'd love to see them.

above image from: [autographsale.net]

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 13, 2014 20:56

Gorgeous work! I had no idea. Thanks for posting.

- swiss

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 13, 2014 21:05

Very nice indeed - thanks for posting the images.
Keith also did the illustrations on the Wingless Angels sleeves

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: November 13, 2014 22:59

He's better than Ronnie!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 13, 2014 23:54

Nice some of them reminds me a bit of the Stone Age Period.........

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 14, 2014 13:45

From "Gus and Me":

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 14, 2014 15:59

Nice!
Reg. Ronnie I always thought his art mirrors a bit his kinda superficial nature.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home