Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Sydney Australia 12 November 2014 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 13, 2014 18:30

DoomandGloom
I love them just as much when they're horrible.

thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 13, 2014 19:44

GasLightStreet
Doxa
A very charming version of "Sweet Virginia". Mick did okay and Keith backing him up in the chorus is always a treasure to hear. Those two voices just match so well. Some cool licks and country fills by Ronnie as well.
- Doxa

What is with Mick rushing the lyrics? He's been doing that on Doom And Gloom and now he's in front of the beat on SV. WTF!!!!!!!!!

I noticed that too. He does better when Keith is playing the main acoustic guitar part. I liked Keith and the backgroud vocalists better than Mick on this tune. But it was charming and interesting with Keith only doing a few fills and Ronnie copping mandolin lines.

Mick seemed like he was unaware what the voted song was until it came up on the big screen ..."Tonight...we're going to... Sweet Virginia...we haven't done this in a real long time...." They must have known ahead of time what it was and rehearsed it I'm thinking. Maybe it was a surprise? Anyone know? peace

Date: November 13, 2014 19:55

They know what song is going to be played. It's pre-determined .

They were rehearsing "Like a Rolling Stone" at the start of this leg in their set list run-through in the exact slot that it was played before the voting poll was even open for a full day.

The same thing applied to "Let's Spend the Night Together" in Norway earlier this year.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 13, 2014 20:13

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
Doxa
A very charming version of "Sweet Virginia". Mick did okay and Keith backing him up in the chorus is always a treasure to hear. Those two voices just match so well. Some cool licks and country fills by Ronnie as well.
- Doxa

What is with Mick rushing the lyrics? He's been doing that on Doom And Gloom and now he's in front of the beat on SV. WTF!!!!!!!!!

I noticed that too. He does better when Keith is playing the main acoustic guitar part. I liked Keith and the backgroud vocalists better than Mick on this tune. But it was charming and interesting with Keith only doing a few fills and Ronnie copping mandolin lines.

Mick seemed like he was unaware what the voted song was until it came up on the big screen ..."Tonight...we're going to... Sweet Virginia...we haven't done this in a real long time...." They must have known ahead of time what it was and rehearsed it I'm thinking. Maybe it was a surprise? Anyone know? peace
I don't feel he's rushing here, instead I'd say he's keeping it from dragging. Also in this close up video, we may be getting an altered p.o.v. Some sound from the stage and some sound from the monitors and some sound from the house PA which will give us the time delay we perceive here. While it is true that Mick is sometime guilty of pushing things, I prefer to believe it's his intention to keep the show exciting. Of course if Bill were there the proper pocket would be skillfully enforced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 20:15 by DoomandGloom.

Date: November 13, 2014 20:22

Some sound from the stage and some sound from the monitors and some sound from the house PA which will give us the time delay we perceive here.

That is about a far from reality as I've heard in a while. You should be an attorney. winking smiley peace

Date: November 13, 2014 20:35

video: [music.tutsplus.com] Here's a quick overview at how house engineers manage the perceived delays that happen in large venues. The stage monitors and stage amps do not follow this formula. When someone sticks a camera phone between all of these sources the recording devise uses no discretion in sorting things out. While the human mind can compensate more easily to these discrepancies an inexpensive recording device will only expose these delays more. I rest my case my lady.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 20:36 by DoomandGloom.

Date: November 13, 2014 20:39

[

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 20:40 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 13, 2014 20:40

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
Doxa
- Doxa

Mick's a great actor.................I've seen Freejack........cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-13 20:40 by EddieByword.

Date: November 13, 2014 21:01

DoomandGloom
video: [music.tutsplus.com] Here's a quick overview at how house engineers manage the perceived delays that happen in large venues. The stage monitors and stage amps do not follow this formula. When someone sticks a camera phone between all of these sources the recording devise uses no discretion in sorting things out. While the human mind can compensate more easily to these discrepancies an inexpensive recording device will only expose these delays more. I rest my case my lady.

But I object your honor. I have worked as FOH engineer on many large venue shows and although delays have been a problem when speaker towers are necessary due to the huge space, I can assure you this is not what we are hearing from Mick in the posted video of SV.

Some reasons:
The recorder was very close to the stage.
Stage monitors and FOH mixes use the same signals
Companies like Meyer Sound manage the delays with complex software and hardware.
If the delays were systemic we would hear them on all the instruments and vocals, not just Mick.
The delays in his singing are not present throughout the song, only on some phrasing.

Now, let the jury decide. tongue sticking out smiley peace

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 13, 2014 21:10

Naturalust

Was the guitar tech with the acoustic to his right during the announcement just there by coincidence,
or was it not really a surprise? You decide! :E

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 13, 2014 21:28

Another Sweet Virginia.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: November 13, 2014 21:59

I was there, it was fantastic. Only one slight gripe - MT on a few more songs would have made it even better (for me)...but it was a great show. I was really surprised at how good Keith's singing was. YGTS is not a particular favourite of mine, but it was fantastic. Ronnie played really great slide on that. Keith played really well overall, so did the whole band. My wife has always considered Mick's dancing to have a sort of rubbery awkwardness to it - not anymore. First thing she said was that she now realised what a great dancer he is. First time I saw the Stones I came out thinking "Wow Mick Jagger is in his 50's and he's as fit as a 25 year old. Almost 20 years later I came out of the show going "Wow Mick Jagger is in his 70's and he's as fit as a 30 year old!" - so he's aged 5 years in 20 years :-) The guy is a phenomenon.
Really really great show. Midnight Rambler was epic...no duds - I struggled to find a song I didn't care so much for to go to the bar, I think I only had one beer all night.
So glad I went...these guys are firing, they can't stop now!

Date: November 13, 2014 22:23

with sssoul
Naturalust

Was the guitar tech with the acoustic to his right during the announcement just there by coincidence,
or was it not really a surprise? You decide! :E

He mounted the pic holder on Mick's stand, something he obviously forgot to do prior to the show grinning smiley

Regarding Mick's singing. He's using certain opportunities to save his voice. That's why he talk-sings in front of the beat a bit more these days.

Date: November 13, 2014 22:25

Anyone found a Midnight Rambler video yet ?

It does sound , by the comments,as if it was really good. winking smiley

Date: November 13, 2014 22:45

DandelionPowderman

Regarding Mick's singing. He's using certain opportunities to save his voice. That's why he talk-sings in front of the beat a bit more these days.

I don't doubt you're right about the talk-singing, but I'm scratchin' my head trying to figure out how singing in front of the beat saves his voice. By not competing with drum and other instruments that are on the beat? peace

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 13, 2014 23:32

The whole "14 on Fire" tour is fantastic IMO...

Posted by: hotspot3000 ()
Date: November 13, 2014 23:33

The Melbourne based Stones podcast Stonesmonth discuss The Hanging Rock disaster and review The fabulous Sydney show.

[stonesradio.podomatic.com]

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 14, 2014 00:51

crawdaddy
Anyone found a Midnight Rambler video yet ?

It does sound , by the comments,as if it was really good. winking smiley

check on youtube rolling stones sydney refine your search "today" there's a clip titled "... part 2" at 5 min 05 sec start a portion of MR

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 14, 2014 02:01

I just watched Sweet Virginia,very nice

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: November 14, 2014 02:26

crawdaddy
Another Sweet Virginia.

absolutely brilliant!

only the stones baby, reach this kind of musical perfection on a good night. So tasteful and reflective of what REAL life is all about.

...listen to that little fill keith repeats..pure bliss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-14 02:26 by mudbone.

Posted by: Chris85 ()
Date: November 14, 2014 02:48

GasLightStreet
Doxa
- Doxa

I was in the pit between Mick and Chuck, second row - as SV started, Mick turned to Chuck at least once and mouthed 'its slow' or 'its so slow' (or something similar. I haven't gone back to re-watch the video though. Maybe him being unhappy with the tempo might explain the singing in front of the beat, trying to keep it from dragging?

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: November 14, 2014 03:35

video: [www.youtube.com]

short clip of intro and us going off our nut on the rail in the pit in front of Micks mic.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 14, 2014 04:50

The most recently written song in the set list was Miss You, penned in 1977!(Start Me Up being a Black and Blue outtake)

Date: November 14, 2014 10:49

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

I don't doubt you're right about the talk-singing, but I'm scratchin' my head trying to figure out how singing in front of the beat saves his voice. By not competing with drum and other instruments that are on the beat? peace

Because that disguises the short notes a bit smiling smiley

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 14, 2014 15:02

I must admit...very good show.
Its amazing...finally the guitars are loud!!!!!
Makes a huge difference.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 14, 2014 15:50

Deathgod
video: [www.youtube.com]

short clip of intro and us going off our nut on the rail in the pit in front of Micks mic.

I love that! Thanks for your tips in another thread too. smiling smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 14, 2014 16:03

That version of Sweet Virginia is divine.
Thanks for posting!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 14, 2014 19:05

That's a beautiful Sweet Virginia - lovely to hear Keith's backup vocals blending with Mick's voice...

Nobody seems to have posted this one yet:

Date: November 14, 2014 20:59

Keith solo on BTMMR! Excellent thumbs up

Date: November 14, 2014 21:04

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home