Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Start me Up key F
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: November 5, 2014 00:42

Hi guys,

I always assumed Start me Up was in the key of C (major), like Brown Sugar. I saw the playlist of Ahoy 2003 and it listed Start Me UP with the key of F.
How does this work because the base chord seems C to me?
So Ronnie plays the solo in F major or minor?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Re: Start me Up key F
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 5, 2014 01:07

Ronnie plays mostly in F minor but does throw in a couple major notes in there.

The difference between STU vs BS is where the riff resolves itself. In BS, the main riff ends on the C because that is the last chord being struck. In STU, the song revolves around that first half of the riff played on the fifth fret that ends with the sus4 which makes the song lean towards the key of F.

Take a look at how Ronnie accompanies Keith on this song. He's in the first position playing F and Bb chords.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: November 5, 2014 02:08

Yeah Wuudy it's weird huh? The whole song from memory is F, B flat and C. The note that Jagger's vox end on is F and that just follows the sus4 that Keith finishes the riff with on C/F and as Justin says that definitely leans straight toward F.

Always liked Ronnie's leads on this track. Interesting considering the one the whole world knows doesn't have one.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: November 5, 2014 02:19

Wuudy,

Try playing the main rhythm part like Ronnie does: (low-to-high) 0-3-x-x-x-x followed by 1-3-x-x-x-x. Then you'll get better sense of why the key center is F. If memory serves, Ronnie's lead is mostly F major pentatonic, with some bluesy accents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-05 02:19 by Mel Belli.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: November 5, 2014 05:26

Cool, thanks for explaining guys!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: November 5, 2014 14:47

The C is an add-on to the base chord, which is F.

That makes the SMU a direct opposite to all the well-know Keef-riffs smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 5, 2014 14:52

Great version here. Woody throws in some good hook lines towards the end of the song.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home