Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: LSTNT Failed Version
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 4, 2014 13:04

Always loved this version.

No train wreck at all. In fact this is the ABC of how to deal with those inevitable moments when something goes wrong while performing live in front of an audience: don't let the beat drop, let the singer decide what to do, try to understand as fast as you can what the singer wants to do, join in and go on playing as if nothing happened. I am sure that there and then no one noticed anything!

C

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 4, 2014 13:56

LieB
The thing is they were so rock 'n' roll back then even their trainwrecks sounded cool and it became part of the Stones.

It's still part of the Stones to sound sloppy, but when you're sounding sloppy with two backup singers, a brass section and Chuck Leavell it's not so cool anymore...

Spot on!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 4, 2014 14:33

Just gave it another listen... It is damn fascinating, and I think there is a lot of going on there, reflecting the very moment in the history of this very living and breathing band.

The guitars... Keith and Ronnie are really starting to find each other; getting rid of the tight Taylor/Richards pattern, the free-going 'ancient art of weaving' starts to be ready...

The whole band... starting to get over the professionalism of the Taylor years, and sounds proud to sound sloppy and trusts on their unique chemistry as a team. Charlie and Bill also more relaxed than before. Fvck the mistakes... Positive arrogance..

Jagger... now there is a character... wasn't scared one shit being a caricature of his old self; was already tired singing jumpinjackflashes, streetfightingmans and honkytonkwomens, and didn't hesitate that approach to hear in 'singing'... now doing a nostalgia pop number from way way back with such an arrogant 'couldn't care less' attitude that could make the uprising punk rockers to seek help... the new fresh Jagger persona - with a new spark in his eye, the edge and point in his voice, the wit and self-irony - that we would soon hear in SOME GIRLS, is build on these ruins...

Or was it all about the drugs...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-04 14:35 by Doxa.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 4, 2014 14:50

It's funny how Some Girls was a commercial success while Emotional Rescue took a backseat. If drugs were involved, they probably found a better dealer during the compilation of ER. I love that album.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 5, 2014 02:44

Any IORRians present at this show ? It's always been a curiosity of mine. I've heard they played about 30 songs and there was a huge delay, not hitting the stage until nearly midnight (they had to wake up Keith?). Any photos, audio or video or even the setlist ?

I've been to Knebworth - to me it's a shambolic venue and I truly shudder to imagine what it must have been like in the 70s with no front of stage, primitive toilets etc - pretty disgusting I should think!

It's just a big field on a hill in Hertfordshire, rented out by some Duke or Earl whenever he needs some cash.. winking smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2014 04:11

Chris Fountain
It's funny how Some Girls was a commercial success while Emotional Rescue took a backseat. If drugs were involved, they probably found a better dealer during the compilation of ER. I love that album.

I agree but I can see why it happened I think.

You get to 1980 and sure, they release another disco tune as the lead single, why not it worked last time?

But the world had changed, disco was out, new wave was in.

Having said that, I think the album sold reasonably well. It was my first stones album and it has She's So Cold. What's not to like?!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 5, 2014 04:25

Chris Fountain

The album was #1 during 7 weeks in the US, it looks like the people loved it back then.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 5, 2014 05:47

almost sounds as if they decided to play it right there at that moment without one bit of rehearsal, but I love it!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 5, 2014 14:56

Wow. Just listened to it all the way through - holy crap - it's BEYOND a train wreck!

Date: November 5, 2014 15:12

Chris Fountain

Emotional Rescue was also a tremendous commercial success.

Peak positions:
Chart (1980) Position
Australian Kent Music Report[9] 4
Austrian Albums Chart[10] 2
Canadian RPM Albums Chart[11] 1
Dutch Albums Chart[12] 1
French SNEP Albums Chart[13] 1
Italian Albums Chart[14] 5
Japanese Oricon LPs Chart[15] 10
New Zealand Albums Chart[16] 2
Norwegian Albums Chart[17] 4
Spanish Albums Chart[18] 5
Swedish Albums Chart[19] 1
UK Albums Chart[20] 1
US Billboard 200[21] 1
West German Media Control Albums Chart[22] 2

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-05 15:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 6, 2014 02:33

ER was their biggest #1 album.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 6, 2014 02:37

I've now found the setlist and a passable recording of the Knebworth show. 28 songs and a massive delay before show time...The show seems to have been a bit messy in places but strangely for me, that sloppy version of LSTNT, its 1st public outing in 9 years, has a certain charm about it.

This Guardian article from 2 years ago, gives an account of the rehearsals which, if accurate, gives a bit of an insight into relations within the band at the time and also the Unions' iron grip on the UK workplace at the time with all these jobsworths closing bars early and things...

[www.theguardian.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: November 6, 2014 05:14

GasLightStreet

Really? Surely you mean SG?

Date: November 6, 2014 18:23

rocker1
GasLightStreet

Oh. No. Chart wise. Their biggest #1 LP. SG sold more, yes, but ER was 'bigger'.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2014 00:00

GasLightStreet
rocker1
GasLightStreet

Oh. No. Chart wise. Their biggest #1 LP. SG sold more, yes, but ER was 'bigger'.

So Some Girls was 12"x12" in size, I think ER was the same if memory serves.

It had a bigger poster, that full length door poster...did you mean ER had a bigger door poster?

Date: November 7, 2014 00:02

The cardboard cover was thicker as well...

Date: November 7, 2014 18:34

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
rocker1
GasLightStreet

So Some Girls was 12"x12" in size, I think ER was the same if memory serves.

It had a bigger poster, that full length door poster...did you mean ER had a bigger door poster?

When your memory serves it's usually ore derves.

ER was bigger because the thermal cover, that's 2D 3D. It looks like it could be 3D in 2D, which, therefor, increases the overall size.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home