Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
A Poll Regarding the Dec 18th 1981 Show
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 20, 2014 13:54

Just curious: What are iorrians' firmest beliefs about that classic moment
when the fan dashed across the stage during Satisfaction
to be not-quite-clocked by Keith's trusty Telecaster?

A] It was staged, probably even rehearsed.
b) It was the band's surprise birthday present to Keith - they hired the guy, and Keith was just being himself.
3. It was really a wild fan running loose, and Keith really did bail him out afterwards.
IV. I used to suspect it was staged, but if it had been I reckon Keith would've admitted it in his autobiography.
:E Other (please specify!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-20 22:13 by with sssoul.

Re: A Poll Regarding the Dec 18th 1981 Show
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 20, 2014 14:28

A] Maybe (quite well possible, imo.) grinning smiley
b) Nàh. That would have been public long ago, then. smoking smiley
3. Yep! That's my guess. smileys with beer
IV. ...No WAY!! >grinning smiley<
:E ...a back-up guitarist coming from under the stage, in search of a new set of strings?! winking smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 20, 2014 15:37

A, this was a crazy person, that was a real security threat (barely a year after john lennon getting gunned down outside the dakota apt.) B,that is crazy C,this was a security threat to the entire band ! D,it would have been in the book if it was a gag.

Date: October 20, 2014 15:39

Other: It was really a wild fan running loose, Keith clubbed at him, but barely hit him - hence Keith didn't have to pay his medical bill or bail him out afterwards grinning smiley

The bonus material on the Hampton DVD should consist of zoomed-in footage of this incident, as well as an in-depth interview with that fan today.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-20 15:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 20, 2014 16:28

E - it was Freddie Sessler with a wig...

Date: October 20, 2014 16:30

grinning smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 20, 2014 18:03

I still say Keith missed him with the guitar. Watch closely. The guy ducks and grabs the guitar neck. You can see him missing at the 3 sec mark.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-20 18:04 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 20, 2014 18:06

More Hot Rocks
I still say Keith missed him with the guitar. Watch closely. The guy ducks and grabs the guitar neck. You can see him missing at the 3 sec mark.

Looks to me as though the guy was hit, but he blocked and grabbed the guitar.

Keith connected though.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 20, 2014 18:19

3: Keith had no idea what this guy is gonna do. Is he gonna stab Mick, hug him, kiss him,
roll over and screw him, Keith did'nt know. All he knew was the guys gonna get his hands
on Mick and this he had to prevent. And he did have a weapon in his hands.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 20, 2014 18:24

Sure looked like Keith clocked the guy. I take door number 3. Not staged, no way, no how. Keith scores large points upholding stage sanctuary.

Classic

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 20, 2014 18:45

You can slow the video down if you go directly to Youtube. Keith misses by a fraction.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 20, 2014 18:48

Keef was really fried on C to do this...

Otoh talking about being high and belliquous onstage :

Maybe it's the son of the dude who got whacked in 81... >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-20 18:50 by dcba.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: October 20, 2014 18:49

Yes. I did just that. Slowed it down to 1/4 speed. He does miss. The guy stoops down at the last second and grabs the guitar.

Date: October 20, 2014 22:03

I did say "not quite clocked" up there in the question, right? Meaning "almost clocked, but not clocked".

And (for my dear Dandy P.) the story is that the kid was arrested for stage-barging and was put in jail,
but (the story further goes) Keith bailed him out. Out of jail, that is!

I'm enjoying your responses hugely - thank you all, and keep 'em coming!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 20, 2014 22:11

I think if Keith had fully connected the guy would be laid out! Pretty big piece of wood a Tele.

sc uk

Date: October 20, 2014 22:16

with sssoul
I did say "not quite clocked" up there in the question, right? Meaning "almost clocked, but not clocked".

And (for my dear Dandy P.) the story is that the kid was arrested for stage-barging and was put in jail,
but (the story further goes) Keith bailed him out. Out of jail, that is!

I'm enjoying your responses hugely - thank you all, and keep 'em coming!

I did say "other" smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 20, 2014 22:41

It seems pretty clear that this was an unexpected visitor. I doubt he was hurt much, especially since he went to jail and not the hospital. I also think that Keith bailing him out was probably on the advice of his lawyers and not a "from the heart" gesture by Keith.

He wasn't attacking Keith and if Keith hurt him there would likely be some liability involved.

That being said I'm kind of proud of Keith for not being afraid to defend his lead singer. BUT, I wonder if he would have done the same if the guy was rushing Bill. eye rolling smiley peach

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 20, 2014 22:47

Did this guy never talk to the press? Why? Maybe times where different in those day. Still my guess is that there was some kind of agreement/settlement: you don't talk about the incident in public and we won't sue you…

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 20, 2014 23:52

A Poll Regarding the Dec 18th 1981 Show

Polish !!! ... thought he'd be an American for sure

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 21, 2014 00:02

'not-quite-clocked by Keith's trusty Telecaster' is a fantastic epithet.

Date: October 21, 2014 06:07

LOL, that is hilarious: what would've happened if the guy had been rushing Bill? thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 21, 2014 06:52

Contrary to the myth and the legend, it doesn't look like he's running towards Mick.
It appears he's just just running across the stage, and he's probably wearing a "Who the f*ck is Mick Jagger" t-shirt. drinking smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 21, 2014 10:40

It was a magical concert. In my opinion the best version of Start Me Up ever -occured was that particular evening.

Date: October 21, 2014 11:50

Hairball
Contrary to the myth and the legend, it doesn't look like he's running towards Mick.
It appears he's just just running across the stage, and he's probably wearing a "Who the f*ck is Mick Jagger" t-shirt. drinking smiley

He is running towards the right; maybe hw WAS headed for Bill!
You have a point though: I have always thought that the poor sap didnt look at all headed for Jagger. It's almost as if Jagger and Keith both actually step over to ensure that they do meet.

Date: October 21, 2014 13:30

It was a circular stage, and the footage is from two different cameras, so it's confusing.
The fact that he was running in Mick's direction (at least his general direction)
is substantiated by the fact that he ended up between Mick and Keith.
It's hard to say who his target was, if he had one (as opposed to just dashing across)
but Bill was off on the other side. Quite sensibly too :E

I hope everyone has noticed that a bit later in the number Mick gallantly saves Keith from an errant balloon.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: October 21, 2014 15:58

You can see MJ turning and then he suddenly stops as if he was surprised by something. A second later you see the crazed fan appear.

So I think it fair to say this was real, no staging. And what does it matter if Keith missed or hit the guy? He assisted in preventing this guy from doing something really bad.

Date: October 21, 2014 16:11

I think the difference is as straycatuk and Naturalust have noted above:
If someone really hits someone with a Telecaster, they would be seriously damaged -
more fit to be hospitalised (or worse!) than to be jailed.
No one seems to be suggesting that Keith was less valiant for not quite killing the character.

my guess is that there was some kind of agreement/settlement:
you don't talk about the incident in public and we won't sue you

But why would the Stones care if he talked (unless it was staged)?
And my understanding is that he was arrested for a misdemeanor - trespassing, reckless endangerment, disorderly conduct or somesuch -
not the Stones decision whether or not to sue. He probably pled guilty, since they got it on video.
Maybe he's ashamed of himself. It's not much of a claim to fame ... although it is a step up from
"Keith told me it's not a fokkin fast food joint pal while I was slobbing up nachos in the front row" :E

Date: October 21, 2014 16:18

with sssoul
I think the difference is as straycatuk and Naturalust have noted above:
If someone really hits someone with a Telecaster, they would be seriously damaged -
more fit to be hospitalised (or worse!) than to be jailed.
No one seems to be suggesting that Keith was less valiant for not quite killing the character.

my guess is that there was some kind of agreement/settlement:
you don't talk about the incident in public and we won't sue you

But why would the Stones care if he talked (unless it was staged)?
And my understanding is that he was arrested for a misdemeanor - trespassing, reckless endangerment, disorderly conduct or somesuch -
not the Stones decision whether or not to sue. He probably pled guilty, since they got it on video.
Maybe he's ashamed of himself. It's not much of a claim to fame ... although it is a step up from
"Keith told me it's not a fokkin fast food joint pal while I was slobbing up nachos in the front row" :E

If he indeed was bailed out, the Stones might have had their reasons for not revealing that information...

From the video clip it looks like Keith wasn't aiming for his head at all. More likely he was scaring the guy off with a shoulder/rib-push, whilst the fan got the time to raise his hands and protect himself.

I definitely think there was contact.

Date: October 21, 2014 16:28

Well, Keith's said he bailed him out, on more than one occasion.
One time he even said the guy still owes him $200, so evidently he was supposed to pay Keith back.

(I keep feeling we're talking about two different things: bail is just the sum of money you have to pay
to be released from jail until your court date. You get it back when you turn up in court.
Keith says he provided the money for that, just to be decent.)

Date: October 21, 2014 16:59

We're not talking about different things. I never meant that Keith would sweet-talk the judge to let him out of jail permanently smiling smiley

The Stones have been allergic to go public with their "kindness" before, whether it's been charity, supporting musicians in need or funding of different social enterprises, green tours etc.

Keith could have told that bail-out story in 1981, and gained some good-boy press out of it. To my recollection, he did not... It's a nice story, though.

BTW, I'm not so sure Keith ever bailed this guy out of anything (even though he says he did)...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-21 17:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2065
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home