Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Terry Kath and early Chicago live
Date: October 14, 2014 01:06

Did anyone on the board see Chicago live in their early days? I've been listening to some Terry Kath isolated solos and I really wish I could've seen him in his prime. I like the way he sings as well. Would enjoy hearing any stories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-14 08:13 by bv.

Re: Terry Kath and early Chicago live
Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: October 14, 2014 01:22

yes my folks took me to see them repeatedly when I was a kid.. Terry Kath played LOUD as I recall. I saw them three time I think. My folks took us to lots of concert (never the Stones though).

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 14, 2014 04:40

There's an outstanding video on Youtube of Wishing You Were Here featuring the Beach Boys on backing vocals.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 14, 2014 05:12

I never saw them in the early days, but did see them several years ago in whatever diluted version they've now become.

But, this is a damn cool video with some truly blazing guitar work from the late great Terry Kath in 1970.

Re: OT: Terry Kath and early Chicago live
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 14, 2014 15:12

I never saw them live but love some of their albums such as their first double record (April 1969), the eponymous Chicago Transit Authority and the Seventies albums. Terry Kath is an amezing guitarplayer.

Jimi Hendrix once told Parazaider, "Jeez, your horn players are like one set of lungs and your guitar player is better than me."

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 14, 2014 17:25

Yes, I saw them twice in 1969, once at the Shrine Auditorium in L.A. and once at Balboa Stadium in San Diego (with Poco and Country Joe). They becam one of my favorite live acts. I was just blown away when I first saw them in L.A. They had a loud, full sound, great arrangements, and Terry Kath was a brilliant, talented guitarist, not to mention his powerful voice. He was a real force onstage. There weren't very many acts at the time with the horn section, so they had a unique sound, rock with touches of jazz and blues. I went out and bought their debut album and nearly wore it out.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 14, 2014 18:33

Saw Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) open for Jimi Hendrix in 1969

Saw them 2 more times in the 70's with Kath in Balboa Park in San Diego.

Great live band, I enjoyed their music up to about their 5th album, then lost interest.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: October 15, 2014 00:11

Saw them three times with Terry Kath on guitar.

First time was in 1970. No opening act, two long sets, and an encore. Just a fantastic concert in every way.

Saw them the second time in 1971. Same thing, with no opening act, and two long sets, but this time, no encore.

The third time was in 1972. This time they had an opening act, came out for one brief set, no encore, and they were bloody awful. Honestly, they had played so many shows over those first few years that you could tell they were completely burned out with non-stop arena shows.

For me, though, it was such a drop from where they had been, it was almost like a slap in the face to fans like me that had followed them since the C.T.A. album.

I decided I did not need to follow them any more, and I haven't.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: October 15, 2014 04:24

I saw Terry a few times in 1974 with Chicago, it is etched into my memory. They played some very "deep" cuts that tour. I followed them after his passing and their concerts remained fun but not the cutting edge event that Kath brought to the stage. I was lucky enough to see Moon, Bonham and Enthwhisle among other long lost legends and they did not disappoint. Kath is one of the great experimental guitarists of rock, only in his era could such an on the edge player be in a pop group but it did happen, long long ago... You can not exaggerate the brilliance he delivered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-15 04:25 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 16, 2014 00:13

i read that hendrix was a fan of his...

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 16, 2014 13:26

roundnround
i read that hendrix was a fan of his...

They toured together and I think JH was a fan of his playing.

[www.imdb.com]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 16, 2014 18:17

yes terry Kath was the heart of Chicago but if you see Chicago today they won't disappoint. One of the tightest bands live.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: October 17, 2014 03:19

I have a poster from when they were the Chicago Transit Authority when they opened for the Velvet Underground at the Whiskey A Go Go. That's an interesting combo....

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: October 17, 2014 05:10

Saw them in '75 with the Beach Boys on the same ticket.
Seem to remember they played my old HS Gov Livingston in NJ as CTA, but i could be making that up...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home