Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lenny Kravitz - Strut
Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: October 7, 2014 00:16

Listen to New York City and Frankenstein... both songs reminds me of the Stones.

I think this whole album breathes Stones (sound) à la Miss You, Slave and Undercover Of The Night. A lot of funk, groovin' and dirty sax! Only Sex is more of Bowie kinda song, but hey.. Jagger sang with Bowie ;-).

I would love this type of album by The Stones (rhythm, grooves, backup vox, saxes).

She's A Beast, I Never Want To Let You Down .. I can easily hear Jagger sing those!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-07 00:20 by Muddyw.

Re: Lenny Kravitz - Strut
Posted by: claudine ()
Date: October 7, 2014 00:49

I'm going to listen now

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: October 7, 2014 01:05

I liked it but not as good as his last album black and white america

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: October 7, 2014 17:57

I like it! It does sound very Stonesish!!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 7, 2014 18:50

unbearable slickness
smokey robinson's ooo baby is a joke compared to this

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: October 7, 2014 19:55

Funny, the strike of the first chord on She's A Beast I thought Till The Next Goodbye would play... Great song anyhow (both of course)!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 7, 2014 20:26

maumau
unbearable slickness
smokey robinson's ooo baby is a joke compared to this

This is one of the many reasons I like music...

After listening to samples on Amazon, I'm thinking I may pick up a copy of this album. Is it slick? Yes. Is the slickness "unbearable"? Not in my opinion.

Regarding "Ooh Baby, Baby", I'm assuming that maumau prefers Marianne Faithful's version to Lenny's. Personally I prefer Smokey's version to both and although I doubt Lenny's version will ever grown on me to pass Smokey's version, I would be willing to bet that I will never intentionally play Marianne's version again. It was interesting to hear her take on it but I didn't hear anything in it that made me want to hear it again.

Different strokes for different folks. Thankfully.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 7, 2014 22:14

yes of course i was comparing the covers. you are right Mr DJA different takes and that's fine

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 7, 2014 23:15

Slick or not, I saw a TV interview with Lenny the other night (after he'd played Strut) in which he said that he first recorded the whole thing on his iPhone over a two-week period when he was filming the Hunger Games. According to him, songs kept coming into his mind so often that he had to record them there and then and so he did it all very quickly on little sleep.

I've not yet had the chance to sample all of the album yet but of the few I've heard New York City does have a definite Stones ring to it. And I agree with keefriffhard4life that Black and White America is hard to top. I still play it a lot.

Date: October 8, 2014 13:26

Strut sounds pretty good. Having my first spin on it now.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 8, 2014 14:05

pretty good album. i saw lenny open for u2 a few years ago & he did a good set.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 8, 2014 16:28

I dig it.
Gonna see the man in Amsterdam in november. I am pretty confident I'm gonna be rocked that night.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 10, 2014 16:09

NYC has elements of Miss You in it.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 20, 2014 10:39

Witnessed Lenny and his band last night at Ziggo Dome. I really had good fun. The man knows
how to work a crowd and his music takes you right back into the 70s. Powerful rock and funk.
Not that many songs in the setlist, but the band took the time to jam a lot. Some good
jamming too, if you ask me.

A nice surprise was the support act: Trombone Shorty. Fitted perfectly to get the crowd
into the right atmosphere.

And what a great venue the Ziggo Dome is! A very compact stage and a perfect sound.
The Stones can not go into history as the band that never played Ziggo Dome.
Come on you guys!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2206
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home