Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT The end of The Black Crowes?
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 18, 2015 00:58

Gorman was interviewed on the radio here in St. Louis on KSHE too, much like above, he said it's been going on a year, he chose to focus on the good times and said back when they started the wouldn't have dreamed of lasting as long as they did.

The DJ also asked what his favorite album was, he mentioned one that never came out although parts did on the Lost Crowes set, called...Band or Banned?? But then said of the actual studio releases, Southern Harmony was his favorite (mine too and probably a lot of peoples).

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: January 18, 2015 15:29

Chris Robinson is a great frontman but in my opinion he's also the reason the crowes haven't had a big selling album in ages. ever since their 3rd album Amorica he's been trying to convert a rockband that's heavily influenced by the stones, faces, and humble pie and force them to sound like the grateful dead or phish.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 18, 2015 17:16

ghostryder13
Chris Robinson is a great frontman but in my opinion he's also the reason the crowes haven't had a big selling album in ages. ever since their 3rd album Amorica he's been trying to convert a rockband that's heavily influenced by the stones, faces, and humble pie and force them to sound like the grateful dead or phish.

What a strange observation. I know Chris is a big Dead fan and has no compunction about converting their huge fan base to his own but his singing is way to soulful to ever sound like the GD or Phish, imo. Besides the other musicians in that band seem to have stayed true to their rock and southern roots.

Maybe he has influenced their image in that direction somewhat, but I have never thought "these guys sound like the GD". They do however do pretty good Stones covers.

peace

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 18, 2015 17:44

ghostryder13
since their 3rd album Amorica he's been trying to convert a rockband that's heavily influenced by the stones, faces, and humble pie and force them to sound like the grateful dead or phish.

Yeah I agree. And it felt contrived.
I mean in two short [years] the band moved from a tight unit playing short rock'n roll songs (1990) to a jam band that stretched every number they played (1992).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-19 00:46 by dcba.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 18, 2015 19:34

Maybe ask "from4tillate" here...he knows Steve personally if I'm not mistaken...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 18, 2015 20:36

dcba
ghostryder13
since their 3rd album Amorica he's been trying to convert a rockband that's heavily influenced by the stones, faces, and humble pie and force them to sound like the grateful dead or phish.

I mean in two short the band moved from a thight unit playing shrt rock'n roll songs (1990) to a jam band that stretches every number they play (1992).

Not true. First two times I saw the Crowes, in the early 90s, Marc Ford was still in the band, and already then both shows featured extended jams. Next time I saw them was around the By Your Side tour: almost no extended jams at all (I remember I was surprised). Lions tour, jams were back. Since the 2005 reunion concerts (saw them in NY) I'd say that they reached a balanced live formula.

C

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 18, 2015 21:21

liddas
dcba
ghostryder13

I mean in two short the band moved from a thight unit playing shrt rock'n roll songs (1990) to a jam band that stretches every number they play (1992).

Not true. First two times I saw the Crowes, in the early 90s, Marc Ford was still in the band, and already then both shows featured extended jams. Next time I saw them was around the By Your Side tour: almost no extended jams at all (I remember I was surprised). Lions tour, jams were back. Since the 2005 reunion concerts (saw them in NY) I'd say that they reached a balanced live formula.

C

I always thought their jams were pretty rockin' and enjoyable. Improvisation which showed off some killer tones, grooves and feel. I think liddas hit the nail on the head when he says they reached a balance. I wouldn't appreciate too much jamming for anyone's live show but find nothing wrong with stretching out a few tunes and possibly finding some magic in the process.

peace

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 19, 2015 02:34

They also really missed Marc Ford when he wasn't in the band! Fantastic player....

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: January 19, 2015 13:40

Vastly overrated band fronted by a pretentious singer with a weak voice.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 19, 2015 13:46

You truly are too stoned in Tokyo. But anyway your opinion really didn't add to the discussion on a thread by people into the band. Useless waste of energy.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: January 21, 2015 21:05

liddas
I too saw them grow, I hailed Remedy as miracle

I completely agree. I would say that there are five tracks on Southern Harmony that qualify as masterpieces. Of course, on the box, every one of them should have a small note next to them stating, "Inspired by Tumbling Dice and Shine a Light".

liddas
I suffered Taylorite Depression Syndrome when Ford quit the band...

OK, this is the best thing I've read in a long time. Hilarious and true.

-R

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: January 21, 2015 22:15

the end???.....again?

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: January 22, 2015 01:10

One more fro the post-Ford depression

Date: January 22, 2015 01:17

Were are the Cease-ites??

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 5, 2015 04:41

The Chris Robinson Brotherhood plays here tomorrow night (still debating to go or not) and this ran today:

Chris Robinson, 'sad' about Black Crowes' breakup, moves forward with Brotherhood

As the 25th anniversary of the Black Crowes approaches, there'll be no tour. There'll be no new album. There isn't even a band.

On Jan. 15, guitarist Rich Robinson issued a news release saying the band had broken up. And while Crowes frontman and Rich's brother, Chris, said his brother's announcement was "sad and disappointing," he's elated by what he's accomplishing with his newer group, the 4-year-old Chris Robinson Brotherhood, which returns to Turner Hall Ballroom on Thursday.

"The only reason I stayed in the Black Crowes all these years is because of the songs. The songs meant something to people," said Robinson, 48. "As the years rolled by and the Black Crowes stopped working as a band, I was interested in new material and new terrain."

The initial musical concept for Brotherhood was a "country rock, cosmic Cali thing, with sort of funk and jazz keyboard overtones," Robinson said. "I wanted something that is unique to who I am today. My interests are more melodic, more folk-driven, and I like real psychedelic music, not just wah-wah fuzz tones and skinny jeans, but music that has some innate understanding of the relationship between vibration and reality, between harmony and joy."

That comes through on the band's liberating third album, last year's "Phosphorescent Harvest." And in addition to the swirl of country and folk and psychedelic and funk and jazz, the band, with brand-new drummer Tony Leone, is exploring experimental electronica for its next batch of tunes, which may get previewed at Turner Thursday. But, Robinson assured, "we're still dirtbag hippie dudes who like rock 'n' roll."

"We don't have the same pressures on from our youth when stardom and fame all avalanches on you," Robinson said. "Our expectations are to put on a great show, and just dig deeper and deeper into what it can be."

But as Robinson celebrates creative freedom with Brotherhood, he's still saddened by the way his brother Rich, 45, announced the end of the band.

In that news release, Rich Robinson stated, "I love my brother and respect his talent, but his present demand that I must give up my equal share of the band, and that our drummer for 28 years and original partner, Steve Gorman, relinquish 100% of his share, reducing him to a salaried employee, is not something that I could agree to."

"It's a lot of water under the bridge, and it's complicated when you mix family into it," Chris Robinson said. "It's just sad and disappointing and unfortunate that this is the way that it sort of spilled out. I'm the kind of person that I'm not going to put my sordid family business and sad stuff out in the world. I don't think that it's interesting. That's the only way to sort of keep focused on what's been positive and progressive, and still celebrate what the band accomplished."

"I'll let my work and my attitude speak for themselves," Robinson added, "and let people believe what they want to believe and say what they want to say to get what they want."

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: February 5, 2015 05:05

Can't say I'm in love with Keith's soloing in that video. Quite boring for me.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 5, 2015 16:56

beachbreak
Can't say I'm in love with Keith's soloing in that video. Quite boring for me.

Sounds a bit like the Apple Jams disc in George Harrison's All Things Must Pass set.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: February 6, 2015 08:45

Well, waiting for them to change their minds and re-unite, in the meanwhile.. Did you listen to the rich robinson's woodstock sessions ? I liked this album. A lot. Rich is a surprise to me

Posted by: novica ()
Date: February 6, 2015 08:57

hope, they will, eventually, sort things up, and re-unite...
i like them,
i mean, they are not great as Stones, but then again, for us, die-hard Stones fans, nobody else is not good as Stones...
but Crowes are quite good rock and roll band !
saw them in Amsterdam, back in 2011, they did 3 Stones covers (No Expectations,I Just Wanna See His Face,Torn And Frayed)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 6, 2015 09:31

Many Stones fans accusing Eric Clapton for being boring, but what about Black Crows then? OK OK I'm sorry if being to rude here but after listening to some of their songs on youtube...pheeewwww!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: February 6, 2015 11:20

Come On
Many Stones fans accusing Eric Clapton for being boring, but what about Black Crows then? OK OK I'm sorry if being to rude here but after listening to some of their songs on youtube...pheeewwww!
Everyone's entitled to their opinion,but I wish the Stones could still write songs like this!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 7, 2015 00:21

bonddm
Come On
Everyone's entitled to their opinion,but I wish the Stones could still write songs like this!

What's more, I wish the Black Crowes could still write songs like that!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 27, 2015 19:39

Rich is still not over his Stones addiction (on facebook March 27)

Rich Robinson
And then there's this!! When they were on, there was no one better.
[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-27 19:40 by BowieStone.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: March 27, 2015 20:22

One of my all-time fave bands; seen them around 15-20 times from the first album 1990, thru the amazing shows for the 2nd album (and what an album that is) and the ever more disappointing shows until those great shows in 02 right before the hiatus.
When they came back in 06 I thought they were amazing and the shows between 06-09 some of the best I've seen them do (tho not quite at the 02 level).
Hope they do get back together someday...

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 27, 2015 20:37

Chris Robinson
"It's a lot of water under the bridge, and it's complicated when you mix family into it," Chris Robinson said. "It's just sad and disappointing and unfortunate that this is the way that it sort of spilled out. I'm the kind of person that I'm not going to put my sordid family business and sad stuff out in the world. I don't think that it's interesting. That's the only way to sort of keep focused on what's been positive and progressive, and still celebrate what the band accomplished."

"I'll let my work and my attitude speak for themselves," Robinson added, "and let people believe what they want to believe and say what they want to say to get what they want."

So both Rich and Gorman stated that Chris wanted them to sign contracts making them his employees and Chris doesn't want to comment on it? gee I wonder why?

Another case of LSD (Lead Singers Disease) thinking the individual is more important then the whole IMHO.

Let's see how long he can go playing small clubs before he realizes how much he needs the other Crowes to be successful. Sir Mick tried this in the 80's and found out the harsh reality that he was not a one man show and that he could never compete with the Stones.

JMO but I don't think we have seen the end of the Black Crowes.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: March 27, 2015 21:10

Chris has addressed this a couple times publicly — and not once did he specifically deny Rich's reasons for the band's demise.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 28, 2015 16:34

Eh. What? Chris Robinson is in this group of bearded curly haired hippies? HA HA! WHICH ONE IS HE!

mighty stork

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 28, 2015 16:37

"The only reason I stayed in the Black Crowes all these years is because of the songs. The songs meant something to people," said Robinson, 48. "As the years rolled by and the Black Crowes stopped working as a band, I was interested in new material and new terrain."

I'm curious, when did The Black Crowes stop working as a band? What a pathetic statement.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: March 28, 2015 17:05

jrcjohnny99
One of my all-time fave bands; seen them around 15-20 times from the first album 1990, thru the amazing shows for the 2nd album (and what an album that is) and the ever more disappointing shows until those great shows in 02 right before the hiatus.
When they came back in 06 I thought they were amazing and the shows between 06-09 some of the best I've seen them do (tho not quite at the 02 level).
They played no shows in 2002 and their comeback was 2005. Sorry for being pedantic.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: March 28, 2015 17:35

geordiestone
jrcjohnny99
They played no shows in 2002 and their comeback was 2005. Sorry for being pedantic.

lol, no problem; I saw them play 2 shows at Maritime hall in SF, which I thought was early 2002 but was maybe late 01?
I think the first show I saw on the comeback was them supporting Tom Petty, which I think was 06, tho I know they played some other shows before that tour...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home