Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ian Stewart's finest moments?
Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: October 3, 2014 00:16

Check Out Live Oshawa 1979 - Star Star (3rd Song).

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 3, 2014 00:28

IBC recordings --

Date: October 3, 2014 00:33

texas fan
IBC recordings --
BBC ?

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 00:33

Ians best moments? All of them.

Date: October 3, 2014 00:35

rob51
Ians best moments? All of them.

Oh Yes !!! Agreed, No Doubt !!!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 3, 2014 01:13

on some songs live in 78-81 hard for me to tell if its Mac or Stu on piano. When its an electric piano sound, then you know it was Mac.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 3, 2014 03:52

2120Wolf
texas fan
IBC recordings --
BBC ?

No...these five songs were recorded in March 1963 at I.B.C. Sound Recording Studios in London.

1. Diddley Daddy
2. Road Runner
3. Bright Lights, Big City
4. Honey What's Wrong
5. I Want to Be Loved

You can find it on Youtube. I recommend it -- it's pretty much "must hear" stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-03 04:12 by texas fan.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 3, 2014 05:26

TWENTY FLIGHT ROCK 1981 SEATTLE...FANBLOODY-TASTIC
video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 3, 2014 06:00

LOVE THIS!

Was always so much fun to hear Stew tear it up!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 3, 2014 07:49

Little Queenie, Ya Yas. Case closed. Good night.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 3, 2014 08:35

He's on the Yardbirds' Smile on Me, and, I think, a few more cuts on Little Games.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 3, 2014 12:07

HonkyTonkJan
To answer Duke Richardson's query, The Rightful Laird of Pittenweem is what Stu used to refer to himself as, according to Keef in "Life". "Laird" is just the Scottish way of saying "Lord".

Not quite. "The term ‘laird’ has generally been applied to the owner of an estate, sometimes by the owner himself or, more commonly, by those living and working on the estate. It is a description rather than a title, and is not appropriate for the owner of a normal residential property, far less the owner of a small souvenir plot of land. It goes without saying that the term ‘laird’ is not synonymous with that of ‘lord’ or ‘lady’." The Lord Lyon, 2012

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: October 3, 2014 14:48

teleblaster
HonkyTonkJan
To answer Duke Richardson's query, The Rightful Laird of Pittenweem is what Stu used to refer to himself as, according to Keef in "Life". "Laird" is just the Scottish way of saying "Lord".

Not quite. "The term ‘laird’ has generally been applied to the owner of an estate, sometimes by the owner himself or, more commonly, by those living and working on the estate. It is a description rather than a title, and is not appropriate for the owner of a normal residential property, far less the owner of a small souvenir plot of land. It goes without saying that the term ‘laird’ is not synonymous with that of ‘lord’ or ‘lady’." The Lord Lyon, 2012

Wow, that's me telt! Marvelous piece of pedantry there. eye rolling smiley
I'm pretty sure he wasn't really a "Laird" or a "Lord" - it was a just a title he jokingly gave himself.

A few more great suggestions for songs, although I think I'll probably not have Star Star blasting from the minibus. Might get a few complaints from the more sensitive tourists!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 3, 2014 15:03

A nice article published by the Scottish Sunday Mail a couple of years ago:
[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 3, 2014 15:19

HonkyTonkJan
teleblaster
HonkyTonkJan

I'm pretty sure he wasn't really a "Laird" or a "Lord" - it was a just a title he jokingly gave himself.

A few more great suggestions for songs, although I think I'll probably not have Star Star blasting from the minibus. Might get a few complaints from the more sensitive tourists!

No, he wasn't a Laird - it was a joke (I know the "Laird of Lochwinnoch" and he's not a real Laird either).

Posted by: belld ()
Date: October 4, 2014 11:16

teleblaster
HonkyTonkJan
teleblaster
HonkyTonkJan

No, he wasn't a Laird - it was a joke (I know the "Laird of Lochwinnoch" and he's not a real Laird either).
Oh dear dear Tele b aka Drambo. His Lairdship has not taken kindly to your treasonable statement and wishes that you know a price must be paid - a double measure of Lagavulin on your next visit to the Broon Coo should suffice.
Anyway the parish of Pittenweem annual Arts Festival relies heavily on live music therefore Mr Watts and Mr Wood give Jools a call and head for Pittenweem. Festival dates 2015 1st to 9th August.

Posted by: marmass ()
Date: October 4, 2014 22:58

Someone said Boogie With Stu, but nobody remembers another song with another English group, The Blues Band... The song is based on Stu's piano with Charlie on drums, on the album "These kind of blues".
Very very good, I couldn't find it on Youtube but I have it in my MP3 collection, you definitely MUST listen to it, believe me, try to find it!!!

Date: October 6, 2014 11:19

belld
teleblaster
HonkyTonkJan
teleblaster
HonkyTonkJan

Oh dear dear Tele b aka Drambo. His Lairdship has not taken kindly to your treasonable statement and wishes that you know a price must be paid - a double measure of Lagavulin on your next visit to the Broon Coo should suffice.
Anyway the parish of Pittenweem annual Arts Festival relies heavily on live music therefore Mr Watts and Mr Wood give Jools a call and head for Pittenweem. Festival dates 2015 1st to 9th August.

Never! He'll get a blend and like it!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 6, 2014 13:09

He's also on Rough Mix, the 1977 album by Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane, playing piano on the song Catmelody.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: October 8, 2014 16:32

Check out this priced-to-sell Ronnie Lane DVD from German TV. Not only a great moment from Ronnie, but Stu is the piano player. If, like me, you've only seen Stu in blink-and-you-miss-it glimpses in Stones vids, you're in for a treat. There are a number of lingering shots of him working the eighty-eights.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 8, 2014 17:54

"Down The Road Apiece" is a very fine moment.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 8, 2014 20:26

Might have been mentioned but London Howling Wolf sessions, Stew plays on Sitting on Top of The World.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 8, 2014 20:52

the Early Sixties Stones -1985.
The 1982 Stones live concerts in Rotterdam were amazing

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: October 8, 2014 23:19

HonkyTonkJan
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I wonder if I could have a few suggestions for Stu's finest recorded moments with the band.

I work as a tour guide in Scotland, driving a minibus and giving commentary on the places we visit to tourists from all over the world. I also select music to play on the tours, which has to be Scottish or have a Scottish connection (sometimes a fairly tenuous one!).

When passing through Pittenweem, Fife on the way to St Andrews, I regail my guests with Stu's story. The vast majority have never heard of him of course but find the story quite interesting. I had to decide to pick which Stones song to put on my playlist, and felt it had to be one where Stu's piano is at its best and most prominent. I had to check the musician's credits on all of the old albums to make sure I wasn't including a Nicky Hopkins or Billy Preston track. Bit of a problem for Tattoo You but I picked one of the earlier songs in the end - Down The Road Apiece. Great boogie-woogie piano coming out of one speaker from the rightful Laird of Pittenweem, and quite high up in the mix too.

Any other suggestions? I can add another couple of songs to give myself a bit of variety.

Hey Great Post Jan - you should post more, sharing a lot of my Scottish sentiments!! - whilst looking at your post it reminded me of my thoughts on the Movie Cross Fire Hurricane, so rather than Hi-jack your post,I started a new one to debate Stu's inclusion on CFH,or lack of.

Date: October 10, 2014 03:47

texas fan
2120Wolf
texas fan
IBC recordings --
BBC ?

No...these five songs were recorded in March 1963 at I.B.C. Sound Recording Studios in London.

1. Diddley Daddy
2. Road Runner
4. Honey What's Wrong
5. I Want to Be Loved

You can find it on Youtube. I recommend it -- it's pretty much "must hear" stuff.

Texas Fan - I am 99.999% sure that those 5 songs were all recorded at Chess ???

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 10, 2014 07:20

Hi 2120, those 5 songs were from the first ever Stones recording session in London. From what I've read, these songs were the ones that Brian was most proud of and would play them for friends in later years. They wouldn't record at Chess until 1964 - when Keith met Muddy Waters painting the studio smiling smiley
One of the first Stones bootlegs I ever bought, Bright Lights Big City.

Date: October 14, 2014 00:43

DGA35
Hi 2120, those 5 songs were from the first ever Stones recording session in London. From what I've read, these songs were the ones that Brian was most proud of and would play them for friends in later years. They wouldn't record at Chess until 1964 - when Keith met Muddy Waters painting the studio smiling smiley
One of the first Stones bootlegs I ever bought, Bright Lights Big City.

They are all on a Chess Recording Bootleg that I bought in the early 80's.
And yes I am well aware of when they recorded at chess 64/65.
There has been rumors for years that there is the first few takes of Satisfaction floating around also a few tracks with Muddy, that have rarely surfaced (any info) ?
I will have to dive back into my archives which are in storage.
Where did you read that that these songs were recorded in London ???
.....By the way, the Muddy painting the cieling story is a myth....Wyman said Keith got it wrong in his book Stone Alone,

.....Ahh Yes Good Call DGA35, they are on IBC, My bootleg included them as Chess Recordings.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-14 00:49 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 14, 2014 15:50

TheBadRabbit
Check out this priced-to-sell Ronnie Lane DVD from German TV. Not only a great moment from Ronnie, but Stu is the piano player. If, like me, you've only seen Stu in blink-and-you-miss-it glimpses in Stones vids, you're in for a treat. There are a number of lingering shots of him working the eighty-eights.

[www.amazon.com]

Thanks for the tip on this DVD. Bought it last week via Amazon and it did not disappoint. This is a must have for Stu fans as well of course the late great Ronnie Lane. Stu really gets prime time in this band and clearly enjoys getting some well deserved spotlight. His playing is wonderful.

Check it out

Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: October 14, 2014 17:29

The Blues Band... The song is based on Stu's piano with Charlie on drums, on the album "These kind of blues"

from left to right:
Ian Stewart, Tom McGuinness, David Green, Charlie Watts &
Paul Jones (kneeling).

Courtesy of and © Tom McGuinness.

Posted by: j.b.goode ()
Date: October 14, 2014 17:53

2120Wolf
texas fan
2120Wolf
texas fan
IBC recordings --
BBC ?

1. Diddley Daddy
2. Road Runner
4. Honey What's Wrong
5. I Want to Be Loved

Texas Fan - I am 99.999% sure that those 5 songs were all recorded at Chess ???

they recorded the five demos at IBC Studios on march 11, 1963

click: yt: ep1964+ibc 1963

they were several times at the beep....

the arrived at chess records in june of 1964...

my favorite stu on piano

and don't forget stu and the rail roaders;
stu and led zeppelin;
stu in the mobile studio with....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-14 18:05 by j.b.goode.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home