Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

copping licks from the stones?
Posted by: martingo ()
Date: June 17, 2005 03:58

Just curious --

I'm maybe a "typical" U.S. Stones' fan, middle-aged, musical tastes kind've heavily skewed to the early 1970s to early 1980s. Maybe kind've lost track of who's new doing anything interesting today.

Are there any groups/acts in today's music world that are copping licks from the Stones? Kind've like the stones did with Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, et.al early on in their career?

Re: copping licks from the stones?
Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: June 17, 2005 04:35

Well, Beck cops Mick's moves and one of his songs a few years ago sounded Stoneslike, (can't remember the name tho) I remember commenting on that very thing, back then.

I guess the Stones harbor no ill feelings towards Beck, as he is listed as an opening act on the new tourwinking smiley

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 17, 2005 04:46

I really don't think you can classify Beck as Stonesy sounding; not for a second.
Jagger likes Beck a lot though. Rememeber he praised "Sea Changes".
In order to really sound close to the Stones I guess you have to be close to them in spirit and in make-up. People say the Kings of Leon have something going. I think they are great! Check out Supergrass for 3 minute songwriting power. Everyone of their 4 albums is topnotch.
I tell you someone who is superisingly a Cockrocker: Jack White. I really wanted to not like him because every idiot praises the White Stripes. But that new album is excellent.

Date: June 17, 2005 04:59

If you read what I wrote, you would see that I mentioned ONE of Becks songs, that he performed a FEW years ago. I didn't say Beck sounds Stoneslike all the time. Beck does cop Mick's moves though, which Mick, I'm sure finds, "endearing."

Maybe Beck has an affliction, of sorts winking smiley

When I mentioned this a few years ago, there were other fans that readily agreed with this observation.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 17, 2005 06:11

Sorry LIS didn't mean to step on your toes.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: June 17, 2005 06:35

Martingo,

Get the White Stripes new album if you're that kind of man.
You'll love it. Or get anything they've done.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 17, 2005 13:45

I would start with listening to "Jet". Especially "Cold Hard Bitch", which is heavily inspired by "Honky Tonk Woman".

Beck does NOT immitates Jagger on stage! Saw him perform last week. Doesn't move that much on stage at all. Not this time around anyway. (Get Beck's latest, "Guerro": great new album...)

--> E.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: June 17, 2005 14:06

just listen to the incredible telephone
great stuff. you might think keef is rockinĀ“the tele.

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: June 17, 2005 14:10

Oasis ne albumn is very stonesish, more stones then beatles this time

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 17, 2005 17:00

The country duo Brooks and Dunn put out an album couple years ago called Red Dirt Road. The influence of the Stones is heard on the whole thing. They even stole some of Keiths riffs(my opinion and I'm not a musician just a HUGE fan forever). I enjoy all good music and do listen to country at times being the Southern Girl that I am. Anyway, it's a good Cd to listen to if y'all can handle some country rock. cw

Date: June 17, 2005 17:11

Gary Louris (The Jayhawks) rips some of Keith's country licks.

Black Crowes, obviously.

A young band (think their name is Silvertide) does some suspisciously Keef-sounding riffs on their debut album.

Sass Jordan - pure rip off.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 17, 2005 21:01

I thought keith got his country licks from gram parson's and taylor showed
how it should be played on dead flowers live LOL

Date: June 17, 2005 21:28

mr edward wrote:

"Beck does NOT immitates Jagger on stage! Saw him perform last week. Doesn't move that much on stage at all. Not this time around anyway. (Get Beck's latest, "Guerro": great new album...)"

He did in that video a few years back, and also when he was shown on VH1, performing at various shows of his. Maybe he's changed, we'll soon see, since he's opening for for the Stones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2181
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home