Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OP: Downton Abbey..anybody?
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 17, 2014 21:51

I know I'm late to the party..like four seasons late, but I freakin love this show. Since my other shows, True Detective, Veep, Last Tango in Halifax are done ...I was bored. I've resisted it just because of the hype, but I finally got in the mood to give it a shot. My niece and I just binge-watched the first two seasons and I'm still loving it. It's incredibly well-done and engaging and beautifully filmed. I liked the first season better than 2, but read that things get back on track in S3. I just love how it flows.
I know Ronnie visited the set and hung out with his friend Hugh Bonnevile,
Anybody else like this show?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-17 21:54 by stupidguy2.

Re: OP: Downton Abbey..anybody?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 17, 2014 22:08

Indeed, an excellent program...waiting for the new season to hit.

A different show, available on Netflix which is just fantastic is 'Suits'.

I highly recommend that one.

I forget what season I'm actually on...what are they airing now, or soon in UK?

That 'new one' should hit North America in January...so I'm up-to-date except for the new season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-17 22:26 by treaclefingers.

Date: September 17, 2014 22:14

There is some really good tv right now. I've about to begin S3 of DT, really looking forward to the arrival of Shirley Maclaine. I'm constantly amazed at how they can manage to create a drama revolving around this large group of characters, and each has a distinct story, background. The actors are excellent, not one line is a throwaway line. The first season was particularly brilliant, felt like a play, where everything is seamless and continuous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-17 22:16 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 17, 2014 22:26

Not later than me stupidguy2, everyone keeps telling me I need to check Downton Abbey out and I haven't gotten to it yet. Love Shirley MacLaine, so another reason for me to dive in. She was the best thing about the sappy Steel Magnolias.

Date: September 17, 2014 22:43

latebloomer
Not later than me stupidguy2, everyone keeps telling me I need to check Downton Abbey out and I haven't gotten to it yet. Love Shirley MacLaine, so another reason for me to dive in. She was the best thing about the sappy Steel Magnolias.

I've always loved that whole Upstairs/Downstairs thing....but I missed out on the first seasons of DT, and its always hard to get motivated to discover something that late. I never got into the Sopranos for that reason. I did discover Mad Men late. But regardless of subjec matter, well-written, well-done drama is worth making an effort for.
And watching Elizabeth Mcgovern reminded me of Ragtime, the first 'grown-up' 'film' I saw in the theaters. That was an experience that stays with me to this day..memories.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-17 22:45 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 17, 2014 23:55

I turned to this show to ease my pain after Breaking Bad finally ended--I was obviously way behind and binge-watched all the seasons to date. Couldn't be much more different from Breaking Bad, but addictive in a different way.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: September 18, 2014 00:55

This show is one of my guilty pleasures. When each season has been released on DVD I binge watch the whole season. Incredibly well done. Its also so hard to believe how much the world has changed in so short a time .

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 18, 2014 01:17

Got hooked on it too from the get-go, though I think it's got less good over time. George Clooney is set to appear in the Christmas special!

stupidguy2, if you liked Last Tango in Halifax, try Happy Valley. By the same author but poles apart from Last Tango. Really good gritty stuff, though a bit creepy in parts.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:49

Love it, but it really is sort of a re-made Upstairs Downstairs (the star of which was actually Michael Lindsay-Hogg's girlfriend for a long time, so there you go: Stones content!)

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 18, 2014 06:22

Seeing Elizabeth McGovern play a grandmother makes me feel old.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 18, 2014 06:51

<<Upstairs Downstairs>>

I'd like to see a sitcom based around a group of sex workers in a brothel. How's this for a title: Incall Outcall.

Date: September 18, 2014 06:55

stonehearted
<<Upstairs Downstairs>>

I'd like to see a sitcom based around a group of sex workers in a brothel. How's this for a title: Incall Outcall.

Burning Rubbers

Date: September 18, 2014 08:24

ab
Seeing Elizabeth McGovern play a grandmother makes me feel old.

You mean like this:

[tedhicksfilmetc.files.wordpress.com]

At first, I thought she was the younger stepmother, but my niece kept telling me she was the mother, and then I realized it was Elizabeth Mcgovern... She has aged well...
She always had a very unique look, like something from a 1930s Coca Cola ad...
and that long nude scene in Ragtime was my first experience of feeling slightly awkward by nudity in a crowded theater. Good memories.
I remember Mick mentioning Ragtime as a movie he liked during that time...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 08:26 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 18, 2014 08:41

I don't mind it, I have seen a couple of episodes. But I think it's cliche "uppstairs and downstairs". Like a feudal soap opera of sorts. And it doesn't add to the genre.
But if you're hooked - go ahead and watch it. It's not bad.

Date: September 18, 2014 08:58

My favourite character is Master Bates.

It's not the same now that he's gotten married (sorry spoiler).

He was an amazing solo performer.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 18, 2014 09:42

I find him vaguely creepy, and I'm not sure why. confused smiley

(Bit slow on the uptake there, treacle, but I still think he's creepy!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 10:12 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 18, 2014 09:56

Naughty treaclefingers!

I liked the first series - it had every upstairs-downstairs cliche in the book, but was redeemed by some excellent performances. But from the second series onwards, they were just too determined to involve the characters in every historical event they could think of, and what wasn't historical re-enactment was soap opera. I stopped watching and haven't started again.

Date: September 18, 2014 09:56

treaclefingers

I like the character. The actor is very subtle, but from the beginning you sense of decency about him. I loved the scene where Lord Grantham has decided to relieve him of his duties, but changes his mind at the last minute because it's the right thing to do.
As to the idea that DA is 'soap'..
Yes, and...
That just means it's entertaining,
Like that's a bad thing.
You could call all good drama soap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 09:57 by stupidguy2.

Date: September 18, 2014 10:00

stupidguy2
treaclefingers

I like the character. The actor is very subtle, but from the beginning you sense of decency about him. I loved the scene where Lord Grantham has decided to relieve him of his duties, but changes his mind at the last minute because it's the right thing to do.
Yes, and...
Like that's a bad thing.

reread my post...slowly

Date: September 18, 2014 10:03

Green Lady
Naughty treaclefingers!

I liked the first series - it had every upstairs-downstairs cliche in the book, but was redeemed by some excellent performances. But from the second series onwards, they were just too determined to involve the characters in every historical event they could think of, and what wasn't historical re-enactment was soap opera. I stopped watching and haven't started again.

You know I read that criticism, and by the end of S2 I understood what they mean..even Elizabeth McGovern mentioned that S2 was different, more plot-oriented and not as character-driven and seamless.
I haven't begun S3 yet, but read that it's a return to the original template.

Date: September 18, 2014 10:13

treaclefingers
stupidguy2
treaclefingers

Yes, and...
Like that's a bad thing.

reread my post...slowly

WTF..lol
It's late, what can I say..
You're too clever and dirty treacle..,
And here I thought you were providing serious character dissection.

Date: September 18, 2014 10:13

stupidguy2
Green Lady
Naughty treaclefingers!

You know I read that criticism, and by the end of S2 I understood what they mean..even Elizabeth McGovern mentioned that S2 was different, more plot-oriented and not as character-driven and seamless.
I haven't begun S3 yet, but read that it's a return to the original template.

S3 was good...S4 not as good...a disappointment. I guess a lot of 'adjustments' due to some major casting changes.

S5 starts in UK pretty soon I think. And here is news on S6:

[www.showbiz411.com]

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 18, 2014 10:20

kahoosier
This show is one of my guilty pleasures. When each season has been released on DVD I binge watch the whole season. Incredibly well done. Its also so hard to believe how much the world has changed in so short a time .

I feel the same as you.
I am now waiting the blu-ray for Season 4, shipped from US.

Date: September 18, 2014 10:22

Toru A
kahoosier

I feel the same as you.
I am now waiting the blu-ray for Season 4, shipped from US.

Were you shocked by the season 3 finale Toru?

careful...don't give anything away...we have some 'newbies' here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 10:22 by treaclefingers.

Date: September 18, 2014 10:23

stupidguy2
treaclefingers
stupidguy2
treaclefingers

Yes, and...
Like that's a bad thing.

reread my post...slowly

WTF..lol
It's late, what can I say..
You're too clever and dirty treacle..,
And here I thought you were providing serious character dissection.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean?! eye popping smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 18, 2014 11:13

I got your gist immediately treaclefin, but he's always been known as "Mister Bates," so it's not
quite as funny as it could have been - a guy named Bob Bates lived not far from me growing p. He had
a fabulous swimming pool, to which he invited all the girls, tho he wore an unfortunate red Speedo
and seemed to have fervent tho nonspecific amorous intentions, earning him the moniker Master Bates.
(And, yes, it was I of the sparkling 15-year-old wit.)

. . . . . . . . . .

I adore watching DA but as a soap/drama-rollercoaster. The historian is me blanches several times
each episode - rife with anachronisms. Not the sets, maybe, or even costumes or hair, but mannerisms,
ideals, expressions, viewpoints, etc. With an unmistakably 21st Century socio-political agenda. One
I happen to share, so I'm not offended, but it does not feel like those times. How do I know? Being an
archivist and immersing myself in different time periods in history.

I wasn't old enough to watch Upstairs Downstairs, but wonder whether that was more true to the times,
in terms of manners, mores, interpersonal dynamics. etc?

Can't wait for the next season either, all the above notwithstanding.

Date: September 18, 2014 11:15

swiss
I got your gist immediately treaclefin, but he's always been known as "Mister Bates," so it's not
quite as funny as it could have been - a guy named Bob Bates lived not far from me growing p. He had
a fabulous swimming pool, to which he invited all the girls, tho he wore an unfortunate red Speedo
and seemed to have fervent tho nonspecific amorous intentions, earning him the moniker Master Bates.
(And, yes, it was I of the sparkling 15-year-old wit.)

. . . . . . . . . .

I adore watching DA but as a soap/drama-rollercoaster. The historian is me blanches several times
each episode - rife with anachronisms. Not the sets, maybe, or even costumes or hair, but mannerisms,
ideals, expressions, viewpoints, etc. With an unmistakably 21st Century socio-political agenda. One
I happen to share, so I'm not offended, but it does not feel like those times. How do I know? Being an
archivist and immersing myself in different time periods in history.

I wasn't old enough to watch Upstairs Downstairs, but wonder whether that was more true to the times,
in terms of manners, mores, interpersonal dynamics. etc?

Can't wait for the next season either, all the above notwithstanding.

tease

Date: September 18, 2014 11:18

treaclefingers

tease

I'm afraid that was the fellow with the red Speed-o, Bob Bates' interpretation of things as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 11:25 by swiss.

Date: September 18, 2014 11:21

swiss
treaclefingers

tease

I'm afraid that was Bob Bates' take on things as well.

OK, you made me laugh at 1:00 AM...might be time to call it a night.

Date: September 18, 2014 11:31

treaclefingers

OK, you made me laugh at 1:00 AM...might be time to call it a night.

I even went back an edited it to make sure you understood my joke, but you got the original
anyway - thanks smiling smiley I am smiling at 1:30 so time for me to call it a night as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 11:31 by swiss.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home