Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The myth of no 'radio' songs from Exile
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: September 7, 2014 05:58

I don't understand why this album only had essentially one single lifted from it. Aside from TD and "Happy" in the US and another country or two that was it. I think Rocks Off was a hit in France and ADTL was a single I think in a cpl Euro countries.

Many here have stated there weren't radio friendly songs from the Bible and Jagger has said it didn't have many hits (not surprising given you released a solitary worldwide single) and so on. And I don't get it.

Rip This Joint - out and out classic rock n roll was far from dead given Chuck was sailing high with a worldwide hit around this time. This is the party song from hell. What radio station would refuse it as the Stones' latest offering back then?

ADTL, RO, TD, Happy even Black Angel are all radio friendly songs DJs could have easily spun. It was 1972 and the Rolling Stones. Bit of a no brainer for the time I think. Sweet Virginia is another had they tidied up the language. Loving Cup is another. I think any of these songs wouldn't have seemed out of place on radio stations in 1972. If that horror "Make way" was being played don't see why the songs I've mentioned wouldn't have been regularly spun.

What you think?

Re: The myth of no 'radio' songs from Exile
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: September 7, 2014 06:31

Well, in my opinion of course, I just don't see any of those songs on Exile being Top 40 friendly which would've constituted a hit at the time. How far did Tumbling Dice get? I think they chose the right one...

As for Chuck Berry... there's a big difference between My Ding A Ling and RTJ...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 7, 2014 08:08

I've never quite understood why Tumbling Dice is the single it is. Being one of the most widely known songs in the catalogue, probably the most well known off the album, been a live staple since the album's release.

Good song, no question about it. But to me it isn't a Satisfaction. Its not a Jumpin Jack Flash. Its not a Honky Tonk Women. Those are hooky and catchy and I completely understand why they are the essential songs they are. Tumbling Dice doesn't really have the memorable-ness to me, its nothing outstanding, and its never been a particularly great live track to me. I don't know, that song has always baffled me. Never the song I would have picked as a live staple or "classic" Stones track.

I guess it just goes to show I don't know what a "radio single" would be, and certainly not for Exile. It is kind of a weird album in that it doesn't quite sound mainstream, but there are songs I definitely think can work. I mean, Sweet Virigina IS singleworthy, minus the curse in the chorus. But there have been singles that have major edits like that.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 7, 2014 08:17

What curse in the chorus? confused smiley

Date: September 7, 2014 10:55

The swear word.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 7, 2014 12:50

Well this was about the time that FM stations began to play almost anything. But no hits, those where still played in AM radio and demanded artist to edit many songs that where longer than the AM format.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 7, 2014 13:56

OzHeavyThrobber
The swear word.

...it's a noun, imo.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 7, 2014 15:51

"Rocks Off" is no hit. "Thumbling Dice" is a hit. Saying "Rocks Off" is a hit is as stupid as saying Roxy Music`s "Psalm" is as good as Robby Williams`s "Feel".

Date: September 7, 2014 16:19

It's not going to be a hit when people can't understand what is being said with any of the lyrics.

It's one thing not to understand some of the lyrics but,when the lyrics that are "understandable" without a sheet are less than 30 % it becomes prohibitive to being a radio hit.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 7, 2014 16:26

Winning Ugly VXII
It's not going to be a hit when people can't understand what is being said with any of the lyrics.

It's one thing not to understand some of the lyrics but,when the lyrics that are "understandable" without a sheet are less than 30 % it becomes prohibitive to being a radio hit.
Completely wrong. Louie Louie obviously being the prime example for that. I could probably think of more but just not in this exact moment.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 7, 2014 16:47

I have to agree that most songs on EOMS are album tracks. TD was the right one and not a great live song listen to Brussels. That version of TD is AWESOME one of the best live performances of any Stones song ever!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2014 17:33

I think 'Shine A Light' would also have been single worthy.

Date: September 7, 2014 17:38

IMO, TD should have been a huge hit. It's got everything. If the "got to roll me"-part isn't memorable, nothing is. Then we have the hummable riff.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 7, 2014 18:05

Well, "Rip THis Joint" was included on "Made In The Shade" that was released for the 1975 US tour (back then you ALWAYS had a new LP to promote for each tour). They missed the time frame since they didn't tour behind 1974's IORR. Even "Dance Little Sister " that was included was a B side but not "Rip"...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 7, 2014 19:10

Has anyone checked Billboard, Cash Box and Record World in the US for the six month timeframe incorporating the release of "Exile"? As to sales figures,
airplay etc.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 7, 2014 21:28

DandelionPowderman
IMO, TD should have been a huge hit. It's got everything. If the "got to roll me"-part isn't memorable, nothing is. Then we have the hummable riff.

+ 1. I never understood why TD wasn't a bigger hit. Perhaps the "murky" production (not a criticism, I love it).

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 7, 2014 21:40

stonesrule
Has anyone checked Billboard, Cash Box and Record World in the US for the six month timeframe incorporating the release of "Exile"? As to sales figures,
airplay etc.

Tumbling Dice

Billboard: #7
Cashbox: #10
Record World: #4

Happy

Billboard: #22
Cashbox: #14
Record World: #12

All Down The Line

Billboard: did not chart (b-sides were excluded by late 1969)
Cashbox: #77
Record World: #74

Exile was #1 on the 3 charts, stayed on Billboard 200 for 43 weeks, Cashbox Top 100 by 25 weeks and Record World Top 100 by 22.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: September 7, 2014 22:22

Some songs get better live (such as Midnight Rambler"..I like both studio and live but if I had to pick..) I've never heard Tumbling Dice done live that holds a candle to the single( I say the single because I have the MONO 45 that just sizzles compared to the LP )....maybe it was being 15 yrs old, maybe it was just that long hot summer of 72 but it holds a special place for me...

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 8, 2014 00:52

Not sure but if you check what was played on the top 40 at the time of exile's release you will see what was big at the time?

Posted by: bryanoakville ()
Date: September 8, 2014 01:18

SweetThing
Well, in my opinion of course, I just don't see any of those songs on Exile being Top 40 friendly which would've constituted a hit at the time. How far did Tumbling Dice get? I think they chose the right one...

As for Chuck Berry... there's a big difference between My Ding A Ling and RTJ...

FWIW - Tumbling Dice is the greatest Rock and Roll song, period ... Not just the Stones. Love the sleezy guitar. Love the rock , love the roll. Love it.
Really great.
Really.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 8, 2014 01:18

Here the TOP40 from 1972 (Netherland) stones at 6 they didn't get any higher...but as far as I can see it was the only rock song in the list

[www.top40.nl]

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 8, 2014 01:25

I was young but I don't think the rock/blues was as popular as before.
Also the muddle sound hurt.

Date: September 8, 2014 07:41

noughties
"Rocks Off" is no hit. "Thumbling Dice" is a hit. Saying "Rocks Off" is a hit is as stupid as saying Roxy Music`s "Psalm" is as good as Robby Williams`s "Feel".

Classy post.

Re TD I agree it's a cracker and I've always loved it. I agree it should have been a single but not all markets loved it (barely cracked top 40 in Australia for example and to then they had a long run of chart success with singles) I just think some other songs could have been singles or at least played on semi regular rotation in 72/73 on mainstream radio stations.

And yes I agree "Shine a light" would have made a great single Treacle.

Date: September 8, 2014 15:38

NICOS
Here the TOP40 from 1972 (Netherland) stones at 6 they didn't get any higher...but as far as I can see it was the only rock song in the list

[www.top40.nl]

Born on the Bayou rocks a bit.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 8, 2014 17:30

Went to check the top 100 45s sold in Italy in 1972. No trace of the Stones. Nothing to be surprised if you read the titles that made the list.

By the way the vast majority of them were all Italian artists - times HAVE changes.

First single to make it in the top 100 was, you guessed, Angie in 74. Actually Angie was huge that year, being the 7th most sold single. Next one Miss you in 78 (54). Only rocker Start me Up in 1981 (55).

C

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 8, 2014 19:57

Tumbling Dice is a great single and deserved Stones classic. I always thought Let It Loose, with a few edits, would've made a good choice for a single-the ballad-styled single most Stones albums have. The song's mix of Soul/R&B/Gospel was pop enough that it could've played across formats.

Date: September 9, 2014 00:20

liddas
Went to check the top 100 45s sold in Italy in 1972. No trace of the Stones. Nothing to be surprised if you read the titles that made the list.

By the way the vast majority of them were all Italian artists - times HAVE changes.

First single to make it in the top 100 was, you guessed, Angie in 74. Actually Angie was huge that year, being the 7th most sold single. Next one Miss you in 78 (54). Only rocker Start me Up in 1981 (55).

C

And of course Streets of Love number 1 in 2005...is that correct?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 9, 2014 00:38

<<And of course Streets of Love number 1 in 2005...is that correct?>>

No. 1 in Spain, actually. Top 20 in Italy. But top 10 in seven markets overall, including your very own Canada.

Date: September 9, 2014 02:36

stonehearted
<<And of course Streets of Love number 1 in 2005...is that correct?>>

No. 1 in Spain, actually. Top 20 in Italy. But top 10 in seven markets overall, including your very own Canada.

I choose not to answer that on the grounds it may incriminate me.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: September 9, 2014 02:57

Other than Tumbling Dice and Happy nothing played ever where I live.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1672
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home