Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is ron wood the most successful Stone outside of the group?
Posted by: EJM ()
Date: September 3, 2014 14:56

But what is success ? recent photos of Keith and Charlie with their longstanding wives and families show two happy men comfortable in their skins and accepting their age with grace - what more can you ask ?

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: September 3, 2014 15:20

caschimann
sonomastone
24FPS
Wyman's has had more solo records, probably toured more by now as a solo artist, has written more books (ones with better facts), and owns a successful restaurant.

have you ever been to "sticky fingers"?

I´ve been there, 1990 very soon after it opened.
Food allright - not more.
Service - normal.
But there is a lot to watch and Bill has added a lot of stuff since.
The Stones-Places from there time in the 60ies are hard to find these days.
The Marquee-club and many other places have moved to other streets or did vanished completely.
So this here is at least a spot to meet for Stones-Fans when they are in London.

i agree. great spot for any stones fan. but i didn't recognize it when you called it a successful restaurant. i suppose it depends on your definition of success - which is also a point i intended with the original post, i.e. leaving the definition of success up to the board to discuss.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 3, 2014 15:31

dcba
duke richardson
Bill has outdone them all, in many areas..

... in the shagging area he certainly did.

yes ..and he was counting, too..attention to ...details..

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 3, 2014 15:43

EJM
But what is success ? recent photos of Keith and Charlie with their longstanding wives and families show two happy men comfortable in their skins and accepting their age with grace - what more can you ask ?

Can't agree more.

Posted by: beno ()
Date: September 3, 2014 17:52

Ronnie. Or more precisely Ronnie with the New Barbarians.

Date: September 3, 2014 17:58

beno
Ronnie. Or more precisely Ronnie with the New Barbarians.

That was cool, but it nearly ruined him financially..

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 3, 2014 20:10

sonomastone
caschimann
sonomastone
24FPS
Wyman's has had more solo records, probably toured more by now as a solo artist, has written more books (ones with better facts), and owns a successful restaurant.

Service - normal.
The Marquee-club and many other places have moved to other streets or did vanished completely.
So this here is at least a spot to meet for Stones-Fans when they are in London.

i agree. great spot for any stones fan. but i didn't recognize it when you called it a successful restaurant. i suppose it depends on your definition of success - which is also a point i intended with the original post, i.e. leaving the definition of success up to the board to discuss.

A 25-year-old Restaurant, still going strong in the heart of London? Without franchising? It must be a competitive environment, and it seems to be the focal point for Stones fans visiting London. There's hundred of such burger joints that have disappeared in that time. Bill is the face of the restaurant (what a face), but he must have a good management team and solid backing to have lasted, successfully, this long. It probably provides the old pensioner with a nice steady chunk of change. Not enough to finance his castles, but enough to pay the lights and heat. Didn't Ronnie have a place in Miami? How did that do?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 3, 2014 21:14

24FPS
sonomastone
caschimann
sonomastone
24FPS

Service - normal.

A 25-year-old Restaurant, still going strong in the heart of London? Without franchising? It must be a competitive environment, and it seems to be the focal point for Stones fans visiting London. There's hundred of such burger joints that have disappeared in that time. Bill is the face of the restaurant (what a face), but he must have a good management team and solid backing to have lasted, successfully, this long. It probably provides the old pensioner with a nice steady chunk of change. Not enough to finance his castles, but enough to pay the lights and heat. Didn't Ronnie have a place in Miami? How did that do?

Ronnie's Place lasted a few months I think..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2014 21:55

Paula Poundstone

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: September 3, 2014 23:44

EJM

Good point

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: September 3, 2014 23:45

duke richardson
24FPS
sonomastone
caschimann
sonomastone
24FPS

Service - normal.

Also in NYC

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 4, 2014 00:02

..No No it's gotta be Chuck ... Ya gotta remember the guy owns a forest in Georgia now don't he

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 4, 2014 00:04

Rockman
..No No it's gotta be Chuck ... Ya gotta remember the guy owns a forest in Georgia now don't he

...but he drives a Honda Accord (at least to rehearsals in Burbank).

Date: September 4, 2014 00:09

....savin' on chauffers I guess .... bit like meself

ROCKMAN

Date: September 4, 2014 00:58

Rockman
....savin' on chauffers I guess .... bit like meself

I cottoned on to that years ago.

Date: September 4, 2014 02:27

...Yeah but pullin' ya own rickshaw around ain't much fun ... matter of fact it's down right embarrassing...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 4, 2014 03:24

Depends on how you measure success. Mick has the most money, Charlie has the most clothes, Ronnie has the most fun, and Keith smokes the most...

Date: September 4, 2014 16:40

Rockman
...Yeah but pullin' ya own rickshaw around ain't much fun ... matter of fact it's down right embarrassing...

It's because you're too cheap to hire children to pull the rickshaw on your behalf. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Date: September 4, 2014 17:09

A lot of people would give it to Lincoln, but I'd have to go with Washington....just look how he stands out:

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 4, 2014 18:22

ronnie sure's a great sideman, but he never really made it as a solo artist (although I still like his last album very much)

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: September 4, 2014 19:28

slewan
ronnie sure's a great sideman, but he never really made it as a solo artist (although I still like his last album very much)

he did pretty well with the faces though.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: September 5, 2014 01:10

I may be a little biased but Ronnie is the only Stone not to be made famous by the Stones :-)

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: September 5, 2014 03:11

Ronnie is the most successful musically IMO. He was part of a good band (jeff Beck) and an integral part of a great band before joining the stones (Faces). He wrote some great songs with Rod Stewart to help kick off Rod's career.

His solo albums have been the best musical output (although not the most commercially successful, two different things).

Not to mention Ronnie has had continually growing success with his artwork too.

Ronnie always seems to be having the most fun which suggests to me that he has a great personal life. He has had his issues, but it isn't like the others haven't either.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 5, 2014 07:38

Oh hell, for all we know Brian is jamming with the Jimi Hendrix Experience, toking on an opium pipe, with Marilyn Monroe on his lap.

Date: September 5, 2014 07:58

Maybe ... but then again he could be just hangin' around with King Kong

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: September 5, 2014 08:35

Glad you brought up this post.

The guy is unbelievable...turns up on a ton of records...since joining the Stones has put out 3X the solo albums than Mick and Keith and has done more touring than both of them...wrote one of their biggest hits IORR and didn't make a fuss about it...admired by all rock stars...seems like a a blast of a guy with no attitude...the Stones hit a home run with Ronnie Wood...and he
co-wrote "Stay With Me" which is a bigger hit than anything Mick and Keith put out on their own...a fabulous bar room / pool room staple...played guitar on one of the biggest records ever "Maggie May"...and makes hundreds of paintings...and did most of this stuff out of his mind...does this guy ever sleep?

PECMAN

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-05 08:50 by Pecman.

Date: September 5, 2014 10:35

mattleeuk
I may be a little biased but Ronnie is the only Stone not to be made famous by the Stones :-)

thumbs up

Date: September 5, 2014 19:20

Pecman
Glad you brought up this post.

The guy is unbelievable...turns up on a ton of records...since joining the Stones has put out 3X the solo albums than Mick and Keith and has done more touring than both of them...wrote one of their biggest hits IORR and didn't make a fuss about it...admired by all rock stars...seems like a a blast of a guy with no attitude...the Stones hit a home run with Ronnie Wood...and he
co-wrote "Stay With Me" which is a bigger hit than anything Mick and Keith put out on their own...a fabulous bar room / pool room staple...played guitar on one of the biggest records ever "Maggie May"...and makes hundreds of paintings...and did most of this stuff out of his mind...does this guy ever sleep?

PECMAN

Nice synopsis actually. Ronnie doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Date: September 6, 2014 16:43

alhavu1
duke richardson
24FPS
sonomastone
caschimann
sonomastone
24FPS

Service - normal.

Also in NYC

Yes, pretty sure it was down there on 2nd Ave. I know I lived right next to it for th short while it lasted.
I always come to these threads way too late. It was my first thought too: "what defines success?". But I see it has been discussed already...
W/o analyzing it too much I can easily say that when it comes to solo Stones I listen to Ronnie's albums WAY more than the others. And I love Keith's stuff, the last 2 Jagger albums, and even Bill's first two, LOL. The two Charlie albums with Bernard on vocals too.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: September 6, 2014 19:13

"Is ron wood the most successful Stone outside of the group?"

I think it's Charlie. winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home