Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is ron wood the most successful Stone outside of the group?
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: September 3, 2014 06:16

When you think about everything Ronnie has done outside the group, it seems clear that he is by far the most successful member of the band outside of the band.

Does anyone disagree?

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about his career as an artist :-)

Re: Is ron wood the most successful Stone outside of the group?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 3, 2014 06:54

Wyman's has had more solo records, probably toured more by now as a solo artist, has written more books (ones with better facts), and owns a successful restaurant.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: September 3, 2014 07:03

But Bill Wyman might be the least fun person on the face of the Earth.

As much as I dig Ronnie's extracurriculars, I think it might be Keith. 2 albums (one classic, the next one mediocre, IMHO) and the rock star autobio to end all rock star autobios.

And then there's Mick. His solo stuff sucks but whenever he shows up anywhere (w/U2 at the HOF 25th party, at the Grammys, etc.) he outclasses everyone else in the room.

But then there's the drummer. He picks up the brushes and everyone acknowledges that he's probably the coolest man alive. Though he probably sells about only 30,000 records each time out.

Bottom line? On their own, they're very cool. Together? Nuclear.

Date: September 3, 2014 07:08

24FPS
Wyman's has had more solo records, probably toured more by now as a solo artist, has written more books (ones with better facts), and owns a successful restaurant.

have you ever been to "sticky fingers"?

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 3, 2014 07:22

24FPS

He also has a metal-coin detector company

Date: September 3, 2014 07:27

triceratops
24FPS

He also has a metal-coin detector company

sorry, i can't resist...

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: September 3, 2014 07:28

Wyman's all came late, Ronnie is like the Kevin Bacon of Rock and Roll! Lived with Hendrix, pre real fame, Bob D, Clapton, George Harrison, Helped organize the Rainbow Concert, appeared in The Last Waltz.........ALL pre- Stones.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 3, 2014 08:23

24FPS

If you define "success" by how high your solo singles have got in the UK charts, then Wyman's the Winner.

Si Si Je Suis Un Rock Star outperformed any other solo single by any other Rolling Stone. (I strongly suspect that that really (really!) pissed off Mr Jagger!)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 3, 2014 08:25

JuanTCB

How little you know!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 3, 2014 08:55

Did Prince Rupert debate escutcheons, and objects being passant and couchant for Ronnie? No, for Sir Mick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-03 08:58 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 3, 2014 09:04

Nope it's Charlie as the brilliant jazz-drummer he is touring with his small band and isn't he also dealing with horses?

2 1 2 0

Date: September 3, 2014 09:43

sonomastone
When you think about everything Ronnie has done outside the group, it seems clear that he is by far the most successful member of the band outside of the band.

Does anyone disagree?

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about his career as an artist :-)

He certainly made some of the best solo albums. He was great in the Faces, and he played in the Jeff Beck Group.

That speaks for itself, imo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2014 09:45

I'd like to nominate Sharon Stone as the most successful solo stone, with honourable mention to Oliver Stone.

Emma Stone is too young, but has potential.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 3, 2014 10:09

Rolling Stone has done quite well, too.

Date: September 3, 2014 10:14

Stone Temple Pilots didn't do so well outside the group...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 3, 2014 11:16

24FPS

...Plus we have no idea what he has dug up all these years since he left the Stones...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 3, 2014 11:24

JuanTCB

Really? His brain is intact, he's coherent, he's got integrity, he's doesn't turn into a circus every time he sees a camera and he doesn't make up stories and serve one liners. Maybe Ronnie is very different in the privacy of his home and maybe that can be said of Bill too.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 3, 2014 11:28

Thrylan
Wyman's all came late, Ronnie is like the Kevin Bacon of Rock and Roll! Lived with Hendrix, pre real fame, Bob D, Clapton, George Harrison, Helped organize the Rainbow Concert, appeared in The Last Waltz.........ALL pre- Stones.

Lived with Hendrix... A million fans lived and slept with Hendrix. I doubt Ronnie was anything but some hang around.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 3, 2014 11:55

In terms of "jamming with other bands" Wood has indeed an oustanding record!

Date: September 3, 2014 11:58

Redhotcarpet
Thrylan

Lived with Hendrix... A million fans lived and slept with Hendrix. I doubt Ronnie was anything but some hang around.

Maybe stonesrule can shed some light on Ronnie's short stay at that apartment? There sure were lots of hangaraounds there smiling smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 3, 2014 12:18

Mick's worst-selling solo album has outsold Ronnie's best-selling solo album.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 3, 2014 12:50

It depends on how one measures success. For me, the best single solo work by a mile is Talk Is Cheap. So I could say Keith based on that alone. As for a sustained body of interesting outside work, I'd give the nod to Wood. Beck, Clapton, Faces, Dylan, Last Waltz, etc. Nice resume. He's like Nils Lofgren (Neil, Bruce, Dylan) with a drug problem and without the blazing chops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-03 13:00 by ab.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: September 3, 2014 13:01

Wandering spirit is the best solo album for me. But sally humphrey is the best Stones girl now. So Mick and Ronnie for me are at the same level

Date: September 3, 2014 13:08

ab
It depends on how one measures success. For me, the best single solo work by a mile is Talk Is Cheap. So I could say Keith based on that alone. As for a sustained body of interesting outside work, I'd give the nod to Wood. Beck, Clapton, Faces, Dylan, Last Waltz, etc. Nice resume. He's like Nils Lofgren (Neil, Bruce, Dylan) with a drug problem and without the blazing chops.

I would say Nils is the one without the "blazing chops", but ok smiling smiley

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: September 3, 2014 13:11

sonomastone
24FPS

have you ever been to "sticky fingers"?

I´ve been there, 1990 very soon after it opened.
Food allright - not more.
Service - normal.
But there is a lot to watch and Bill has added a lot of stuff since.
The Stones-Places from there time in the 60ies are hard to find these days.
The Marquee-club and many other places have moved to other streets or did vanished completely.
So this here is at least a spot to meet for Stones-Fans when they are in London.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 3, 2014 13:27

Bill has outdone them all, in many areas..

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 3, 2014 13:42

Really? Bill has outdone them all? Can't see it that way. Just the fact that Ronnie was in The Faces, which trumps the other boys in the band. Then add to that Jeff Beck Group and his numerous solo albums. But The Faces, one of the most incredible garage bands of the 70s. Amazing.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 3, 2014 14:04

Redhotcarpet
Thrylan

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 3, 2014 14:14

Books, records, production of other bands, steady touring leading his own band, restaurants, even instrument design ... Not to mention metal detecting..

actually I believe Ronnie has the best solo stuff.. I love his work with Faces and his many solo albums.
Still, most of Bill's success has been in books about the Stones I would think. It's interesting how varied and wide ranging his projects have been.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 3, 2014 14:44

duke richardson
Bill has outdone them all, in many areas..

... in the shagging area he certainly did.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home